Sign in with
Your question

Looking for laptop options...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 8, 2009 6:09:08 PM

Looking for a new laptop...doesnt have to be a staggering machine...but I would like something moderate. HP is local here and I like their laptops...with that said, I'd consider anything along the lines below. My budget is in the 700-850 range (USD). Thanks for input and support!

1_What is your budget? 700-850 USD (tax/shipping included pls)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.4-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want? As high as I can get in the stated budget.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? both...basically replaces an old A64 desktop.

5_How much battery life do you need? 3+ hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Light gaming, old TFC, online games, nothing too fancy needed.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) web, a little gaming, photo editing on occassion.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 160GB or higher

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. see below

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 years +

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them. I have a 21" lcd that I'd like to dock the laptop to...

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't like Toshiba...don't know why, just heard lots of negatives about them.

13_What country do you live in? USA

HP dv6t...had free upgrade to HDD and Memory. I upgraded to ATI HD 4530 graphics and the CPU to a P7350 (not sure how much better that is than the standard P6600). There's a nice coupon floating around out there, so I applied that and get the following:

* Espresso Black
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.0GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
* FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* 512MB ATI Radeon(TM) HD 4530 Graphics
* 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366x768)
* LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
* Webcam Only
* Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
* No TV Tuner w/remote control
* HP Color Matching Keyboard
* High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* No Modem
* Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Total comes to $822 (free shipping and sales tax included)

Also looking at the HP HDX16T as follows:

* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
* Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor T6600 (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
* FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* FREE Upgrade to 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive from 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
* 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
* 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1366x768)
* FREE Upgrade to Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
* Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
* Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
* No TV Tuner w/remote control
* HP Color Matching Keyboard
* 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* No Productivity Software
* HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

This one is nice as it comes with the Bluray ROM, but is the graphics lesser or superior? The battery is a standard 6 cell v high capacity...and the CPU is a bit lesser.

This one ships for $853 (tax included)

Which one is a better buy or can I do better for a similar build?

More about : laptop options

August 9, 2009 8:14:50 AM

Top one is better first the processor is P series, less battery consumption for more battery life and the video card is better 4530 > 9600mgt
!