Ready to buy this system...should i, need u guy expert opinion??

jimbo15

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
i was looking at this system from dell, i have to keep price in mind, into multitasking , wanna start burning dvds also price is 539 + 35 shipping , ill be new to the whole vista 64 bit thing so figured the 800 number could help out....any thoughts

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
WARRANTY & SERVICE 1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
MONITOR No Monitor
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs
HARD DRIVE 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 3450 256MB supporting HDMI
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy drive

My Service

REMOTE ACCESS Dell Remote Access, free basic service edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
MODEM No Modem Option
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

i do already have a flat screen monitor and wireless keyboard n mouse, so just need a tower, ive seen reviews for the dual core version simalir. i first saw something similar on costcos site for $599 then found this and added dual dvd drives n a video card figured its got to be better then the onboard video card.....so with the 2 xtras brings it to 539$ ive been online for 2 days now (with kids bouncing around me) ive seen some talks about maybe problems with the 64bit thing and my existing peripherals but those talks were like a year old....so r there still a lot of problems wit this or should i be able to get patchwork to help out?? this quad core has to be better then the duel core right?? or is this quad slower?? any help please
Add a reply

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You can run more application with quad core at the same time. But if that is not the way you use your PC, then a dual core is just enough, also cost less dollars and less energy.

Some applications are not utilise for quad core yet, but in 2 to 4 years when new drivers and programs will be running runs at 64bit and utilise for multi processor that system will be optimized.

A discrete video card is definitely better than onboard, of the same era of course.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It depends on how old your peripherals are as to whether or not there will be 64-bit (or even Vista) drivers available. A lot of companies took the switch to Vista as an opportunity to force customers into newer products by simply not creating drivers for products they felt were "end of life". That said, its not how long Vista has been around, but how long your peripherals have been around. I would look to the manufacturer's website if you have a specific device you are worried about.

I like having two DVD drives myself (one for reading, the other for burning), but I tend to only use the ROM drive for reading discs from (playing games, watching movies), and the Burner only for burning DVDs. If you never plan to use both at the same time, you can just stick with the Burner if it will save some money.