Sign in with
Your question

How to get Virtual XP on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
September 19, 2012 7:28:12 AM

Hello,

I desperately need to get Virtual XP on Windows Professional. Mine is MSI board, 64 bit, 8GB RAM. HOw to go about this? Appreciate ur help.
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 7:41:48 AM

Aargh, beat me to it.

But yes, just follow the instructions in the link provided to install Virtual PC and XP mode.

Be aware though that XP Mode has some limitations, especially where graphics processing is concerned. What exactly do you need it for?
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 5:21:37 PM

One problem... he's running premium. At least that's what is says in the topic. It says pro in the first post.

Note: Windows XP Mode is only available in Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/req...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 6:00:07 PM

Hi :) 

To the OP...as Hawkeye said you CANNOT run it in HOME....you CAN in PRO...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 6:04:02 PM

XP mode is not installable on any Home version of Windows 7 (Requires Pro or better). You can however install another VM (Virtualbox, VMWare, etc.) and install a copy of XP in that environment. You will however be required to have installation media and a valid license key for XP.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 10:15:50 PM

VMware Player in Unity mode does pretty much the same thing and probably better. Player is free but you need to create a VMware account to download it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 20, 2012 6:44:57 AM

Quote:
VMware Player in Unity mode does pretty much the same thing and probably better. Player is free but you need to create a VMware account to download it.

You would then still require a legal version of XP to install in the VM though... XP mode is basically a full version of XP for free.
m
l
!