Good accessory email service for the road?

September 24, 2004 2:53:44 PM

Does anyone else have this problem:
At work we use exchange server for email along with Outlook. We do have the
ability to VPN from the net using outlook to sync offline folders, and I can
sync my palm the same way. If I can get vpn going, which adds a layer and is
blocked by Cingular's gprs service.

I also have roadrunner, which provides an email account, but I cannot send
from that account unless I'm connected to RR via their servers...so if I'm
connected via Cingular, I cannot send email.

Cingular also provides email, but I can only send from my phone, not from a
palm accessing the net via the phone using GPRS.

Three email services, but none provides flexible access from multiple
connections...

So I'm thinking of using Yahoo or something like that. But then, I've got to
get the email from two services (I use work and RR, haven't used cingular's
yet) and then send via another. I know this can be done with versamail,
although I'm not sure how well. I don't want to give the @yahoo address to
people, as some think it makes for a shabby image, and I have also heard
that some systems filter domains like yahoo because of past spamming
experience.

Have any of you had this problem? How do you deal with it?
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:05:01 PM

Hi Steve,

You need to use an 'Authenticated SMTP Server'. I have different
services at different locations (and that doesn't include clients
offices), and found it easiest just to use http://www.fastmail.fm . I
set my computer to remember my user name and password for fastmail,
and it works great. The only problem I have had with fastmail is on my
cableone.net high-speed connection. I have to use Port 26 rather than
Port 25.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
~ He esteems too lightly

Steve wrote:

|Does anyone else have this problem:
|At work we use exchange server for email along with Outlook. We do
have the
|ability to VPN from the net using outlook to sync offline folders,
and I can
|sync my palm the same way. If I can get vpn going, which adds a layer
and is
|blocked by Cingular's gprs service.
|
|I also have roadrunner, which provides an email account, but I cannot
send
|from that account unless I'm connected to RR via their servers...so
if I'm
|connected via Cingular, I cannot send email.
|
|Cingular also provides email, but I can only send from my phone, not
from a
|palm accessing the net via the phone using GPRS.
|
|Three email services, but none provides flexible access from multiple
|connections...
|
|So I'm thinking of using Yahoo or something like that. But then, I've
got to
|get the email from two services (I use work and RR, haven't used
cingular's
|yet) and then send via another. I know this can be done with versamail,
|although I'm not sure how well. I don't want to give the @yahoo
address to
|people, as some think it makes for a shabby image, and I have also heard
|that some systems filter domains like yahoo because of past spamming
|experience.
|
|Have any of you had this problem? How do you deal with it?

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 11:55:17 PM

Steve wrote:
> Does anyone else have this problem:
> At work we use exchange server for email along with Outlook. We do have the
> ability to VPN from the net using outlook to sync offline folders, and I can
> sync my palm the same way. If I can get vpn going, which adds a layer and is
> blocked by Cingular's gprs service.
>
> I also have roadrunner, which provides an email account, but I cannot send
> from that account unless I'm connected to RR via their servers...so if I'm
> connected via Cingular, I cannot send email.
>
> Cingular also provides email, but I can only send from my phone, not from a
> palm accessing the net via the phone using GPRS.
>
> Three email services, but none provides flexible access from multiple
> connections...
>
> So I'm thinking of using Yahoo or something like that. But then, I've got to
> get the email from two services (I use work and RR, haven't used cingular's
> yet) and then send via another. I know this can be done with versamail,
> although I'm not sure how well. I don't want to give the @yahoo address to
> people, as some think it makes for a shabby image, and I have also heard
> that some systems filter domains like yahoo because of past spamming
> experience.
>
> Have any of you had this problem? How do you deal with it?

A change in wireless provider might solve your problem. I have Verizon
and use my voice minutes for email access to my ISP. I was using
Earthlink and now use Comcast Cable. The email packages of modern ISPs
allow you to access SMTP, send mail, with an authorized login. That way
you can use some else's network access and still use their services. I
don't buy any additional data services from Verizon and use my cell
phone as a modem. Email at work might be another issue based on how
your IT department sets up their firewalls. For access to work you will
probably need an Palm email package that supports IMAP like SnapperMail.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:48:32 PM

"Steve" <sduncan@MUNGED.wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<415442f2$1@news.qgraph.com>...
> Does anyone else have this problem:
> At work we use exchange server for email along with Outlook. We do have the
> ability to VPN from the net using outlook to sync offline folders, and I can
> sync my palm the same way. If I can get vpn going, which adds a layer and is
> blocked by Cingular's gprs service.
>
> I also have roadrunner, which provides an email account, but I cannot send
> from that account unless I'm connected to RR via their servers...so if I'm
> connected via Cingular, I cannot send email.
>
> Cingular also provides email, but I can only send from my phone, not from a
> palm accessing the net via the phone using GPRS.
>
> Three email services, but none provides flexible access from multiple
> connections...
>
> So I'm thinking of using Yahoo or something like that. But then, I've got to
> get the email from two services (I use work and RR, haven't used cingular's
> yet) and then send via another. I know this can be done with versamail,
> although I'm not sure how well. I don't want to give the @yahoo address to
> people, as some think it makes for a shabby image, and I have also heard
> that some systems filter domains like yahoo because of past spamming
> experience.
>
> Have any of you had this problem? How do you deal with it?

Another solution may be to simply foward port 25 through some higher
port. Check out www.smtpport.com/about for a description of how this
works.

-Tom
!