Keep computer on or turn off after use?

Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
computer off?

Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in:

> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
> computer off?

You'll save on the electric bill if you don't leave it on when you're not
using it.

In news:%233oVzziiFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> typed:

> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days
> work
> turn computer off?

Either is OK. You'll find who will advise you to do one or the
other, but in practice it seldom makes much difference either
way.

Please reply to the newsgroup

curmudgeon

Ron Martell wrote:

> The principle that I have used for the past 20 years is
> to turn computers on and off once a day.
>
> My opinion is that turning a computer on and off once has
> an equivalent long term cumulative effect on the computer
> to leaving it running for 24 hours.

Care to explain that useless statement?

curmudgeon

William Hart wrote:

> Personally, I use a 3-hour rule. If I'm coming back to the
> PC in less than 3 hours, I leave it powered on; otherwise,
> I power it off.

BFD and woo-hoo for you!

What is the basis for your doing that, other than superstition?

In article <#3oVzziiFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Joe K
<JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote:
>Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
>computer off?

I think that both are OK.

I keep my main computer on 24/7, with the power options configured to
turn off the monitor after 15 minutes of no activity on the computer.

I wouldn't turn a computer on and off more than once per day because
of the possible stress that it would put on the power supply and other
components.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Either way. Mine is on 24\7 365 days.

--
Peter

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question328.htm

In article <ecFr2FliFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, "Jone Doe"
<fake@nowhere.org> wrote:

>http://www.howstuffworks.com/question

I disagree with that page where it says "A typical PC consumes
something like 300 watts". A typical PC might have a power supply
with a maximum rating of 300 watts, but a PC doesn't consume anywhere
near that much power when idling or running normally.

I agree with the statement "There is no single right answer". This
question can become something like a religious issue, with the "turn
it off" and the "leave it on" people having impassioned arguments,
with no possibility of anyone convincing anyone to change.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
> computer off?

Your choice, possibly less failure leaving it on as less thermal shock vs.
additional cost of power.

Personally i prefer to make sure that my machine if off when it is not in
use or, for that matter, when it is left unattended for a long time. For a
quicker boot method i simply use Hibernate.
Leaving the machine on 24/7 not only increases electicity costs but there is
also the fire hazard aspect should anything untoward happen while the
machine is left on. Remember a pc generates a lot of heat.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
> computer off?

Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote:

>Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
>computer off?

The principle that I have used for the past 20 years is to turn
computers on and off once a day.

My opinion is that turning a computer on and off once has an
equivalent long term cumulative effect on the computer to leaving it
running for 24 hours.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:41:11 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

>Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in:
>
>> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
>> computer off?
>
>You'll save on the electric bill if you don't leave it on when you're not
>using it.

This is neglible if even noticeable (the increased electric bill) if
your computer is less than 3 to 5 years old. New systems have drives
that spin and power down after so long with no use. The monitors
power down to standby, drawing hardly any juice (just enough in my
monitor at work and home to light the little tiny LED around the power
buttons). The computer itself goes pretty much into hibernation, just
waiting for a mouse movement or keyboard click to power itself back
up. The amount of electricity you need to trickle to memory and keep
it alive is so tiny you can't count it in your electric bill!

"Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> What is the basis for your doing that, other than superstition?

Yaaaawwwnnn!

My computer is always in use so there's no "after use" in
which to turn it off.

The only time my computer gets turned off is if a power cut
lasts more than 30 minutes or so and the UPS shuts the
computer down.

Other than that, I try and find a reason to reboot at least
once every 24 hours or so. Fortunately WinXP and the
programs running under it make this easy.

--
Bob

In article <11dj6bpgof5407e@news.supernews.com>, "Opinicus"
<gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote:
>My computer is always in use so there's no "after use" in
>which to turn it off.
>
>The only time my computer gets turned off is if a power cut
>lasts more than 30 minutes or so and the UPS shuts the
>computer down.
>
>Other than that, I try and find a reason to reboot at least
>once every 24 hours or so. Fortunately WinXP and the
>programs running under it make this easy.

What's the reason for rebooting each day?

I often leave my computer running for weeks at a time without
rebooting. That's easy in WinXP, unlike Win 95/98/Me which bog down
or crash much sooner.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
> computer off?

My Windows Server 2003 machine stays on 24/7.

I used to keep my desktop machine on 24/7 as well (and still do every now
and then), but since I currently do all my work away from home (I used to
work from home) I find myself turning off my machine at night and not
turning it back on until I get home from work the next evening. My home
computer is now only on about 2 or 3 hours a day (during the week), but
despite this adjustment, I haven't noticed any difference in the electricity
bill.

Good Luck,

Carl

Joe K wrote:
> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work
> turn computer off?

Your choice. Each has its benefits. But if you have continuous broad band
internet connection you might consider the increased possibility of virus or
other intrusion. I have a continuous cable connection. I plugged my cable
modem power cord into my surge protector and sometimes power it down if I'm
going to leave my computer on unattended for long periods of time. Lately
I've been using Norton Internet Security 2005 option of clicking on the
"block traffic" icon, blocking all internet traffic when not using the
internet. Then, when I want to use the internet again I simply click on the
"allow traffic" icon.

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote in:

> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:41:11 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Joe K <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in:
>>
>>> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
>>> computer off?
>>
>>You'll save on the electric bill if you don't leave it on when you're not
>>using it.
>
> This is neglible if even noticeable (the increased electric bill) if
> your computer is less than 3 to 5 years old. New systems have drives
> that spin and power down after so long with no use. The monitors
> power down to standby, drawing hardly any juice (just enough in my
> monitor at work and home to light the little tiny LED around the power
> buttons). The computer itself goes pretty much into hibernation, just
> waiting for a mouse movement or keyboard click to power itself back
> up. The amount of electricity you need to trickle to memory and keep
> it alive is so tiny you can't count it in your electric bill!

I can tell by your post the electric rates where you live are much cheaper
than they are here!

BTW, drives that power down, monitors that power down, etc. are set by the
users as to when and/or if.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

Joe K wrote:
> Is it ok in gereral to keep a computer on 24/7 or after a days work turn
> computer off?
Thanks everyone for your reply.I will consider them all.

curmudgeon

David R. Norton MVP wrote:

> I can tell by your post the electric rates where
> you live are much cheaper than they are here!

Maybe not. Chances are that his house is all-electic and his computer
usage is minimal compared to cooking, heating/AC, lights, etc., etc.

In that case, a few up or down might not be that noticable.

Ash

Curmudgeon wrote:
> Ron Martell wrote:
>

>>The principle that I have used for the past 20 years is
>>to turn computers on and off once a day.
>>
>>My opinion is that turning a computer on and off once has
>>an equivalent long term cumulative effect on the computer
>>to leaving it running for 24 hours.
>

> Care to explain that useless statement?

I think that he's referring to the fact that when the computer is first
turned on (cold boot), it goes through a lot of stresses. Sort of like
starting a car that's been sitting outside all night. Leaving it on
constantly would (in Ron's Oppinion) cause about the same amount of
stress as constantly turning it off, then back on. I think this is what
he meant, anyways.

--
Evil criminals don't just catch themselves, ya know. Except for Dr. Van
Kruglor's Self Catching robots. Those were just confusing.