Plastic primer

Last response: in Video Games
July 9, 2004 2:33:44 PM

Has anyone here tried the new paint, I think its from Krylon, that
supposedly bonds to soft plastic? I saw in my local home depot that
one of the available "colors" was a white primer.

Bill

More about : plastic primer

July 9, 2004 2:33:45 PM

"Bill McHarg" <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone here tried the new paint, I think its from Krylon, that
> supposedly bonds to soft plastic? I saw in my local home depot that
> one of the available "colors" was a white primer.

Now that could be a Very Good Thing.

--Ty
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:59:31 PM

I've heard it is still pretty slick, but I haven't heard specifically
about the primer. In my experience, the primer is a lot less important
than the sealer fro keeping paint on soft plastics. I've primed with
regular acrylic craft paint and as long as the sealer is fairly thick &
felxible (like Tacky Glue, or other non-Elmer's PVAs) there is no
problem. Wash them well to remove grease and seal with something
flexible. I've heard great things about clear Plasti-Dip too.

Ty wrote:
> "Bill McHarg" <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone here tried the new paint, I think its from Krylon, that
>>supposedly bonds to soft plastic? I saw in my local home depot that
>>one of the available "colors" was a white primer.
>

> Now that could be a Very Good Thing.
>
> --Ty

July 15, 2004 6:04:31 PM

I have had some success with a friend's suggestion using a pre-primer made
from diluted Elmer's glue in combination with regular primer and a sealer.

Rich

Bill McHarg <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<30tse0t93p26l9vnts1t687tec64b1gedq@4ax.com>...
> Has anyone here tried the new paint, I think its from Krylon, that
> supposedly bonds to soft plastic? I saw in my local home depot that
> one of the available "colors" was a white primer.
>
> Bill
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:05:36 AM

From what I hear, the primer works great and doesn't chip or flake off
the plastic even when flexed. Acrylic paints adhere to it well.

Make sure you get the primer though, because I guess the actual
"colors" are gloss, which paint probably wouldn't adhere to as well.

The report I heard was about Rustoleum brand primer for plastic.
!