Closed

Can't remove network drive

July 16, 2005 4:02:58 PM

Hello,

I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If I
try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network connection
could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
that says "The local device name is already in use".

How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete to
remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Grant

More about : remove network drive

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 5:50:45 PM

In article <#eAwzjjiFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Grant"
<googlebot2@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
>double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If I
>try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network connection
>could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
>that says "The local device name is already in use".
>
>How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete to
>remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Grant

Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter this
command, substituting the actual drive letter for "D":

net use D: /delete
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
July 16, 2005 6:10:00 PM

Thanks for the replay Steve! Unfortunately I can't disconnect the network
drive using Explorer or the NET USE command. NET USE Y: /DELETE produces:

The network connection could not be found.
More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2250

Any more ideas?

Many Thanks,

Grant

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <#eAwzjjiFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Grant"
> <googlebot2@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
>>double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If
>>try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network
>>connection
>>could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
>>that says "The local device name is already in use".
>>
>>How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete
>>remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Grant
>
> Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter this
> command, substituting the actual drive letter for "D":
>
> net use D: /delete
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Related resources
July 22, 2005 10:22:22 AM

I have the same issue. It seems to be a new one. Is it possible that
it's related to a recently released patch?
July 23, 2005 3:00:53 AM

infernon@gmail.com wrote:
> I have the same issue. It seems to be a new one. Is it possible that
> it's related to a recently released patch?

What same issue? You need to quote at least part of the message to
which you reply so others can know what it's about.

Better yet post a new message with your issue including all relavant
details about your system and problem.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

<BUMP>

We're still having issues with two XP Pro workstations. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty certain some kind of registry string that stores the mapped drive
information is malformed. I'm willing to bet if I can delete the bugged
strings and then remap the drive, all will be well. Anyone out there know
how I can remove a mapped drive via the registry??

Many Thanks,

Grant

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <#eAwzjjiFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Grant"
> <googlebot2@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
>>double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If
>>try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network
>>connection
>>could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
>>that says "The local device name is already in use".
>>
>>How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete
>>remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Grant
>
> Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter this
> command, substituting the actual drive letter for "D":
>
> net use D: /delete
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
August 3, 2005 11:03:08 AM

Grant wrote:

> <BUMP>
>
> We're still having issues with two XP Pro workstations. Any thoughts?
>
> I'm pretty certain some kind of registry string that stores the mapped drive
> information is malformed. I'm willing to bet if I can delete the bugged
> strings and then remap the drive, all will be well. Anyone out there know
> how I can remove a mapped drive via the registry??
>
> Many Thanks,
>
> Grant
>

> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
>
>>In article <#eAwzjjiFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Grant"
>><googlebot2@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
>>>double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If
>>>try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network
>>>connection
>>>could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
>>>that says "The local device name is already in use".
>>>
>>>How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete
>>>remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Grant
>>
>>Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter this
>>command, substituting the actual drive letter for "D":
>>
>> net use D: /delete
>>--
>>Best Wishes,
>>Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>
>>Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>>for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>>addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>>
>>Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
>>http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

FYI bump doesn't do anything here.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

>>FYI bump doesn't do anything here.

Hey! Much like yourself.
April 12, 2009 9:53:06 AM

Having the same problem.

(1) diconnected network drive.
(2) drive still appears in My Computer, and I am unable to map a new drive to that letter. attmpting to double click onthe driv brings up "refers to a location that is unabailable"
(3) tried net use /delete
(4) says "the network connection could not be found", yet the drive is still sitting there staring at me in My Computer.

Hmm.
Anonymous
June 3, 2009 10:40:41 PM

Grant said:

Hello,

I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If I
try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network connection
could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
that says "The local device name is already in use".

How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete to
remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Grant

First, you need have a "Shared Folder" on your hard drive. If you haven't got one already, create a new folder on your hard drive called "Shared", then right-click it and select properties. Click the Sharing tab and tick the "Share this folder" box. Next, click "My Computer" and in the Tools Menu, click "Map Network Drive". Notice the little down-arrow next to the drive letter shown. Click the arrow to get a list of letters. Select the one you want to delete, then browse for your Shared folder and select it. By this means, you will assign the drive letter to a real folder. Make sure the "reconnect at login" box is un-ticked. Click the Finish button to get a warning. Answer YES and the Shared folder will open. Close it. Next, right-click the drive in My Computer and select disconnect. Ah, I hear you say, but it is still there! Re-boot and have another look - enjoy!

Ted
Anonymous
June 3, 2009 10:42:09 PM

Quote:

In article <#eAwzjjiFHA.3336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Grant"
<googlebot2@hot-nospam-mail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have a network drive that says "Disconnected Network Drive". If I
>double-click on the drive, it opens up correctly to the network share. If I
>try to disconnect the drive I get an error that says "The network connection
>could not be found". If I try to remap the network drive I get an error
>that says "The local device name is already in use".
>
>How can I remove the drive? Is there a registry string that I can delete to
>remove it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
>
>Cheers,
>
>Grant

Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter this
command, substituting the actual drive letter for "D":

net use D: /delete
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

First, you need have a "Shared Folder" on your hard drive. If you haven't got one already, create a new folder on your hard drive called "Shared", then right-click it and select properties. Click the Sharing tab and tick the "Share this folder" box. Next, click "My Computer" and in the Tools Menu, click "Map Network Drive". Notice the little down-arrow next to the drive letter shown. Click the arrow to get a list of letters. Select the one you want to delete, then browse for your Shared folder and select it. By this means, you will assign the drive letter to a real folder. Make sure the "reconnect at login" box is un-ticked. Click the Finish button to get a warning. Answer YES and the Shared folder will open. Close it. Next, right-click the drive in My Computer and select disconnect. Ah, I hear you say, but it is still there! Re-boot and have another look - enjoy!
Anonymous
June 3, 2009 10:43:10 PM

229834,3,28543 said:

[...]

Tedgrant2
June 5, 2009 5:45:59 AM

First and foremost, back up your registry!! Then open regedit and search for Mountpoint key in the \HKEY)CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer folder find the share you need removed and delete it.
September 14, 2009 11:37:54 PM

Yep that worked for me

The registry key for my share was like this ##server#share and after i deleted and restart i could connect to the share no problem
April 9, 2010 2:29:03 PM

Has anyone come across this issue in Windows 7 (i.e, Cannot remove mapped network drive at logon.)

The fixes above for xp do not work for 7.
July 23, 2010 9:30:30 PM

Quote:
[...]

Hi, had the same problem and it didn't take me even 2 minutes to solve. Great Fix. Tyvm.
July 24, 2010 4:17:52 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!