System shuts down for no reason

anthonybc

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
I bought an HP a6750y (amd phenom, 8g ddr2 6400, 750g seagate), and recently installed a Geforce GTX 260 in it. Now every now and then the computer shuts down. doesn't go through the shutdown process.. just Bloop! shut off. And it wont start back up again for a few minutes.

Im thinking the psu is inadequate. This GFX card requires a minimum of 500watts, and I think this system comes with stock 300watts. Am I right???

Also I just bought this pc about 2 weeks ago. Fresh out of the box it wouldn't load windows. It said it might be due to recent software/hardware changes. but If i run a diagnostics check everything checks out and then it loads windows. This doesn't happen all the time, but definitly when i put in the 260, and then like 3 days ago I left the house for a couple of days, so I powered it off. When i came back the same problem came up. I was wondering if its a problem with the computer and i should take it back to best buy and exchange it or something. but I had to cut out one of the expansion slot casings to make room for this oversized GFX card. But I dont think they would open it up and look in the computer and even iff... they probably wouldn't notice.