jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!
--
Thanks alot!

Hi Jules,

First, we'll need to determine which video card you have to
see if it's a DX 9 card: http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/

Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
installed on your computer.

1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
Click the Display Tab
Look under Device for the name and manufacturer

2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
Click Display
Click the Settings Tab
Click the Advanced... button
Click the Adapter Tab

3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
Click on the + Components
Click on Display to see the name on the right

4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32

5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)

6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or

7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.

Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
| I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
| help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
| Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
| to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
| and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
| so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
| problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
| the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
| something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
| Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!
| --
| Thanks alot!

jules

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your help. I found out the I have the following driver - Via/S3G
Unichrome ICP. However when I went to the update page that you recommended I
could not find this type of driver anywhere. Now I am totally confused and I
guess way in over my head. Who would have thought that a silly Lego game for
a 4 year old would cause so much stress!
--
Thanks alot!

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jules,
>
> First, we'll need to determine which video card you have to
> see if it's a DX 9 card: http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
>
> Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> installed on your computer.
>
> 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> Click the Display Tab
> Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
>
> 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> Click Display
> Click the Settings Tab
> Click the Advanced... button
> Click the Adapter Tab
>
> 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> Click on the + Components
> Click on Display to see the name on the right
>
> 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
>
> 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
>
> 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
>
> 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
>
> Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
> | I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
> | help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
> | Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
> | to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
> | and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
> | so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
> | problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
> | the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
> | something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
> | Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!
> | --
> | Thanks alot!

Hi Jules,

You need to purchase an AGP graphics card for your PC
as the VIA S3G is simply a set of chips and doesn't have
the graphics abilities the game requires. Visit your local
PC shop and they'll fit your PC with one. ":)

--

"Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8508D197-857D-434C-91CD-E7D52D2B38C5@microsoft.com...
> [...]
| >

| > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
| > | I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
| > | help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
| > | Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
| > | to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
| > | and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
| > | so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
| > | problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
| > | the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
| > | something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
| > | Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!

ann

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jules,
>
> First, we'll need to determine which video card you have to
> see if it's a DX 9 card: http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
>
> Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> installed on your computer.
>
> 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> Click the Display Tab
> Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
>
> 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> Click Display
> Click the Settings Tab
> Click the Advanced... button
> Click the Adapter Tab
>
> 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> Click on the + Components
> Click on Display to see the name on the right
>
> 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
>
> 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
>
> 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
>
> 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
>
> Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
> | I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
> | help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
> | Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
> | to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
> | and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
> | so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
> | problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
> | the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
> | something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
> | Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!
> | --
> | Thanks alot!

ann

Hi
I have the same game LEGO STAR WARS for my sons birthday and I cannot get it
to work. It tells me I need a graphics card to support pixel shaders. Here
is my system info.
64mb NVIDIA GeFORCE2 MX WITH TV OUT
I also downloaded the 9 version.
It still will not run the game. HELP!!! Please...
Ann

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Jules,
>
> First, we'll need to determine which video card you have to
> see if it's a DX 9 card: http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
>
> Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> installed on your computer.
>
> 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> Click the Display Tab
> Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
>
> 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> Click Display
> Click the Settings Tab
> Click the Advanced... button
> Click the Adapter Tab
>
> 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> Click on the + Components
> Click on Display to see the name on the right
>
> 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
>
> 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
>
> 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
>
> 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
>
> Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
> | I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
> | help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
> | Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
> | to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
> | and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
> | so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
> | problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
> | the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
> | something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
> | Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!
> | --
> | Thanks alot!

Hi Ann,

Since your card isn't a DirectX version card, I can only suggest
that you upgrade your video card for a more recent model..

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A000A5D-F4C2-4907-9E3A-719DEFE32DD5@microsoft.com...

> [...]
| >

| > "Jules" <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54E3AC57-0CCB-4379-8985-87F8B2C4FB2A@microsoft.com...
| > | I'm new to the whole video game process and would really appreciate a little
| > | help. I bought a Lego Star Wars video game for my son. I currently have
| > | Windows XP 2002 home edition, service pack 2. The game indicates that I need
| > | to have a "100% DirectX 9 compatible Direct 3D card with pixel shader support
| > | and 64MB video ram". I understand that XP comes with the DirectX 8.1 version
| > | so I downloaded the 9c version to update the product (downloaded fine with no
| > | problems). The video game will not run because it says that I do not have
| > | the DirectX software to support it. Did I do something wrong or do I need
| > | something else? Is the "Direct 3D card" needed in addition to the software?
| > | Help! My poor son has completely lost faith in his mom!

ann

Hi Jimmy S.
Please tell me what kind of card I should purchase.
Thanks so much
Ann

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi Ann,
>
> Since your card isn't a DirectX version card, I can only suggest
> that you upgrade your video card for a more recent model..
> http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

> MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
>
> "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A000A5D-F4C2-4907-9E3A-719DEFE32DD5@microsoft.com...
> |
> | Hi
> | I have the same game LEGO STAR WARS for my sons birthday and I cannot get it
> | to work. It tells me I need a graphics card to support pixel shaders. Here
> | is my system info.
> | 64mb NVIDIA GeFORCE2 MX WITH TV OUT
> | I also downloaded the 9 version.
> | It still will not run the game. HELP!!! Please...
> | Ann
> |

> | "Jimmy S." wrote:
> |
> | > Hi Jules,
> | >
> | > First, we'll need to determine which video card you have to
> | > see if it's a DX 9 card: http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
> | >
> | > Here are a few ways to identify which video card you have
> | > installed on your computer.
> | >
> | > 1. Click Start / Run / type: dxdiag
> | > Click the Display Tab
> | > Look under Device for the name and manufacturer
> | >
> | > 2. Click Start / (Settings) Control Panel
> | > Click Display
> | > Click the Settings Tab
> | > Click the Advanced... button
> | > Click the Adapter Tab
> | >
> | > 3. Click Start / Run / type: msinfo32
> | > Click on the + Components
> | > Click on Display to see the name on the right
> | >
> | > 4. Run Aida32 to see what Video, Chipset and Motherboard
> | > you have: http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32
> | >
> | > 5. Get the information from the manufactures website (or store)
> | >
> | > 6. Look on the Video card itself if you plug into a card, or
> | >
> | > 7. Look in your Motherboard manual if you plug into the
> | > on board video built into the motherboard of your computer.
> | >
> | > Hope that helps you identify the make and model of your video card,
> | > and afterwards, Try updating your Video drivers using these steps:
> | > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers Good Luck! :)
> | >
> | > --
> | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
> | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> | >
> | > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
> | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
> | > _________________________________________________________

Hi Ann,

I would suggest a GeForce 6800 card based on the reviews
of some of my fellow gamers. Choose one with 128 MB.

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09591929-7EDE-4F54-906B-18F8E3895803@microsoft.com...
| Hi Jimmy S.
| Please tell me what kind of card I should purchase.
| Thanks so much
| Ann
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi Ann,
| >
| > Since your card isn't a DirectX version card, I can only suggest
| > that you upgrade your video card for a more recent model..
| > http://www.pcvsconsole.com/features/video/
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Games Help and Support Center: http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=gms
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >
| > "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A000A5D-F4C2-4907-9E3A-719DEFE32DD5@microsoft.com...
| > |
| > | Hi
| > | I have the same game LEGO STAR WARS for my sons birthday and I cannot get it
| > | to work. It tells me I need a graphics card to support pixel shaders. Here
| > | is my system info.
| > | 64mb NVIDIA GeFORCE2 MX WITH TV OUT
| > | I also downloaded the 9 version.
| > | It still will not run the game. HELP!!! Please...
| > | Ann
| > |
| > |
| > |