Sign in with
Your question

Dell Laptop Won't Run Internet Browsers

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 10, 2009 12:00:11 AM

My daughter's Dell laptop was recently "cleaned" of a number of trojans. Now it will connect to the internet with AIM and Yahoo Messenger and accept program updates from download - but the laptop won't launch Firefox nor IE Explorer. Also - I've tried to use HiJackThis and Malwarebytes to get a log of running applications and do more clean up and it shuts those programs down. I'm out of ideas short of reinstalling windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2009 12:20:01 AM

Have you considered reinstalling the browsers and/or reverting them back to default settings? The trojans and your removal process ma have handicapped some hijacked settings.
m
l
August 10, 2009 12:38:42 AM

Thanks - Yes - I reinstalled both browsers and re-set IE settings. No luck IE Explorer has launched a few times but does not connect - Firefox does not launch though according to task manager it is running in the background.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 10, 2009 12:53:30 AM

If Task manager says it's running, it's probably crashed. Kill it and restart it. I'd consider downloading google Chrome to see if this is a higher software issue, too.
m
l
August 10, 2009 6:54:22 PM

it could be some ip connection gateway thingys

My acer netbook stopped connecting to the internet one day, and I had to get some guys to fiddle with the settings.
m
l
!