Logon prompt doesn't pop up

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 16, 2005 11:43:26 PM

Hi all,

I have just got the family PC as my own, and have bought another system for
the kids and wife.

Problem is, on the system that is now mine, I have changed the username to
my own and have set up a password, but whenever I reboot, it never asks me
for my password, it just goes straight into the desktop. No other users set
up either. If I log off, it allows me to password in as usual.

Another problem is when I lock the station (Win+L), the name that appears in
the logon box is Mr Barras and the logon string is ASUS/Mr Barras/Osiris.
How can I change the Mr Barras in the logon box to just show Osiris instead
of having to delete the Mr Barass entry and enter Osiris?

Thanks,

Neil

More about : logon prompt pop

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 11:43:27 PM

The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q305281

The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the
Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142

XP_FixLogon.exe - Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen
© Doug Knox - 03/25/2002
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.ht...

Look here:

Read the instructions at the top, then
Scroll down to:
45. Right hand side
Restore the Welcome Screen - Gina.Dll Error

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:yrdCe.456$F_2.177@newsfe6-win.ntli.net,
Neil Barras <dontspamme@spammenot.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just got the family PC as my own, and have bought another system
> for the kids and wife.
>
> Problem is, on the system that is now mine, I have changed the username to
> my own and have set up a password, but whenever I reboot, it never asks me
> for my password, it just goes straight into the desktop. No other users
> set up either. If I log off, it allows me to password in as usual.
>
> Another problem is when I lock the station (Win+L), the name that appears
> in the logon box is Mr Barras and the logon string is ASUS/Mr
> Barras/Osiris. How can I change the Mr Barras in the logon box to just
> show Osiris instead of having to delete the Mr Barass entry and enter
> Osiris?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 12:44:11 AM

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the quick reply, but none of those solutions worked. I have
added and passworded a second user and the guest account, but that hasn't
triggered it either.

I changed the name of the PC in hope that this would change the locked
station prompt from ASUS\Mr Barras\Osiris, but all it changed it to was
OSIRIS\Mr Barras\Osiris. How can I change the Mr Barras part?

Thanks for the help,

Neil

!