Logon prompt doesn't pop up

Hi all,

I have just got the family PC as my own, and have bought another system for
the kids and wife.

Problem is, on the system that is now mine, I have changed the username to
my own and have set up a password, but whenever I reboot, it never asks me
for my password, it just goes straight into the desktop. No other users set
up either. If I log off, it allows me to password in as usual.

Another problem is when I lock the station (Win+L), the name that appears in
the logon box is Mr Barras and the logon string is ASUS/Mr Barras/Osiris.
How can I change the Mr Barras in the logon box to just show Osiris instead
of having to delete the Mr Barass entry and enter Osiris?

Thanks,

Neil
2 answers Last reply
More about logon prompt doesn

    The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q305281

    The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the
    Computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142

    XP_FixLogon.exe - Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen
    © Doug Knox - 03/25/2002
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm

    Look here:

    Read the instructions at the top, then
    Scroll down to:
    45. Right hand side
    Restore the Welcome Screen - Gina.Dll Error

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:yrdCe.456$F_2.177@newsfe6-win.ntli.net,
    Neil Barras <dontspamme@spammenot.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have just got the family PC as my own, and have bought another system
    > for the kids and wife.
    >
    > Problem is, on the system that is now mine, I have changed the username to
    > my own and have set up a password, but whenever I reboot, it never asks me
    > for my password, it just goes straight into the desktop. No other users
    > set up either. If I log off, it allows me to password in as usual.
    >
    > Another problem is when I lock the station (Win+L), the name that appears
    > in the logon box is Mr Barras and the logon string is ASUS/Mr
    > Barras/Osiris. How can I change the Mr Barras in the logon box to just
    > show Osiris instead of having to delete the Mr Barass entry and enter
    > Osiris?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Neil

    Hi Wes,

    Thanks for the quick reply, but none of those solutions worked. I have
    added and passworded a second user and the guest account, but that hasn't
    triggered it either.

    I changed the name of the PC in hope that this would change the locked
    station prompt from ASUS\Mr Barras\Osiris, but all it changed it to was
    OSIRIS\Mr Barras\Osiris. How can I change the Mr Barras part?

    Thanks for the help,

    Neil

    > The "Welcome" Logon Screen Does Not Appear
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q305281
    >
    > The "Welcome to Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the
    > Computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817142
    >
    > XP_FixLogon.exe - Fix Windows® XP Logon/Restore Welcome Screen
    > © Doug Knox - 03/25/2002
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fix_xp_logon.htm
    >
    > Look here:
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top, then
    > Scroll down to:
    > 45. Right hand side
    > Restore the Welcome Screen - Gina.Dll Error
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:yrdCe.456$F_2.177@newsfe6-win.ntli.net,
    > Neil Barras <dontspamme@spammenot.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I have just got the family PC as my own, and have bought another system
    >> for the kids and wife.
    >>
    >> Problem is, on the system that is now mine, I have changed the username
    >> my own and have set up a password, but whenever I reboot, it never asks
    >> me
    >> for my password, it just goes straight into the desktop. No other users
    >> set up either. If I log off, it allows me to password in as usual.
    >>
    >> Another problem is when I lock the station (Win+L), the name that appears
    >> in the logon box is Mr Barras and the logon string is ASUS/Mr
    >> Barras/Osiris. How can I change the Mr Barras in the logon box to just
    >> show Osiris instead of having to delete the Mr Barass entry and enter
    >> Osiris?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Neil

Microsoft Windows XP