Can't delete file due to CRC Error

I have two files on my hard drive that I can't get rid of. When I try to
delete them, I get "Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check)".

I already tried disabling "explorer.exe" and deleting through the command
prompt...still no luck.

Help!
2 answers Last reply
More about delete file error

    After backup you might try running;
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP
    CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen. Press F10 or R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    Also you can try deleting from the recovery console. First you'll need to
    Control Panel|Admin Tools|Local Security Policy Recovery console:"Allow
    floppy copy and access to all drives/folders" set to enabled

    Then from the recovery console command line;
    SET allowallpaths = TRUE

    to gain access to all folders and try deleting from here.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Bob Isaacs" <Bob Isaacs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have two files on my hard drive that I can't get rid of. When I try to
    > delete them, I get "Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check)".
    >
    > I already tried disabling "explorer.exe" and deleting through the command
    > prompt...still no luck.
    >
    > Help!

    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=Data+Error+(Cyclic+redundancy+check)

    Open My Computer, right click on the drive, Tools, Error Checking, tick
    Automatically fix .... and Scan for and ...... Start.

Command Prompt Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP