what should my timing be

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
Ive been having problems with my computer for weeks now and am seriously about to just give up and buy a mac. im just going through the checklist of components it could be one more time and took a look at my ram timing

Kingston says the settings for my ram are 2-3-2-6-1 on the kingston site
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KHX3200AK2/1G

(model KHX3200AK2/1g)

the problem is i dont know what that translates to in the bios settings. i have
CAS# latency (tcl)
Ras# to CAS# delay (trcd)
Min RAS# active time (Tras)
Row Precharge time (trp)

also should it be 1T or 2T?

which numbers should be what? i asked here a few weeks back and was told
CAS# latency (tcl) = 2
Ras# to CAS# delay (trcd) = 3
Min RAS# active time (Tras) = 6
Row Precharge time (trp) = 2

is this correct? probably is just trying to check all the angles

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
from an earlier post in another thread:

The memory timings are generally sited in order of importance:

3-4-4-6 for example.

Where the 3 is: CAS Latency: 3 clocks
Where the first 4 is: Trcd (RAS to CAS latency): 4 clocks
Where the second 4 is: Trp (RAS Precharge): 4 clocks
Where the 6 is: Tras (Active to Precharge): 6 clocks

The memory controller selects the active row. But before the row will actually become active so that the columns can be accessed, the controller has to wait for 2-3 cycles - tRCD (RAS-to-CAS delay). Then it sends the actual read command, which is also followed by a delay - the CAS latency. For DDR RAM, CAS latency is 2, 2.5 or 3 cycles. Once this time has lapsed, the data will be sent to the DQ (Data) pins. After the data has been retrieved, the controller has to deactivate the row again, which is done within tRP (RAS precharge time).
There is one more technical restriction - tRAS (active-to-precharge delay). This is the fewest number of cycles that a row has to be active before it can be deactivated again. 5-8 cycles are about average for tRAS.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Select in BIOS, "memory by SPD" and examine the CAS settings for each item. This will get you in the ball park right away. SPD setting for memory selects CAS timing based on the memory's coded requirements. Then, change the setting to "manual" and reduce them, on eitem at a time in 1 clock cycle increments if need to to tweak them in as fast as they will go.

The trick to procrastination is to just not do it very long.