Will not play any type of cd

Just recently my comp stopped playing cd's of any type on the dvd drive.
no error messages are being displayed.
I have deleted the driver and restarted the computer.
I was unable to update the driver, I have the best one now.
I am running windows xp sp2.
It says the device is working properly, location is 0(0).

I have the opposite problem my Sony DDU1621 DVD drive will play cd's
but won't play dvd's. Not much help to you though.

I wish that was the problem, since i dont need my comp for dvd's.

Have you made any changes to the computer around the time the DVD drive quit
reading DVD's? Did you install any kind of CD or DVD software? When open
"My Computer" is your DVD drive listed there? If your DVD drive is listed
there what happens when you put a CD in the drive and try to open that
directory?

"Paulie_w" wrote:

> Just recently my comp stopped playing cd's of any type on the dvd drive.
> no error messages are being displayed.
> I have deleted the driver and restarted the computer.
> I was unable to update the driver, I have the best one now.
> I am running windows xp sp2.
> It says the device is working properly, location is 0(0).

I made no changes to my comp. I went to insert a disk to play a game (Risk
2), the drive light comes on, i can hear the drive spinning the disc, the
drive is shown in device manager and in the my computer folder. When I put in
any cd music, game, and such autoplay wont do anything and if i double click
on the drive it says to insert the cd. I didn't put any new software on my
comp.
My drive is a JLMS XJ-HD166S by Standard CD-Rom Drives

"AmericanTechie" wrote:

> Have you made any changes to the computer around the time the DVD drive quit
> reading DVD's? Did you install any kind of CD or DVD software? When open
> "My Computer" is your DVD drive listed there? If your DVD drive is listed
> there what happens when you put a CD in the drive and try to open that
> directory?

Malke

Paulie_w wrote:

> I made no changes to my comp. I went to insert a disk to play a game
> (Risk 2), the drive light comes on, i can hear the drive spinning the
> disc, the drive is shown in device manager and in the my computer
> folder. When I put in any cd music, game, and such autoplay wont do
> anything and if i double click on the drive it says to insert the cd.
> I didn't put any new software on my comp.
> My drive is a JLMS XJ-HD166S by Standard CD-Rom Drives
>
> "AmericanTechie" wrote:
>
>> Have you made any changes to the computer around the time the DVD
>> drive quit
>> reading DVD's? Did you install any kind of CD or DVD software? When
>> open
>> "My Computer" is your DVD drive listed there? If your DVD drive is
>> listed there what happens when you put a CD in the drive and try to
>> open that directory?

Open the computer (after unplugging it) and make sure it is clean
inside. Reseat the ribbon cable for the cd drive on both ends. Make
sure the power supply connector is snug. If it still doesn't work, swap
the drive out for a known-working one. If all is well, throw the
original drive out and replace it.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

you mean "quit reading CD's" - it does read DVD's - just not CD's.