Sign in with
Your question

Need a screen 20-22 Inches that is good for gaming and graphics design

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 28, 2007 1:41:13 AM

Need a screen 20-22 Inches that is good for gaming and graphics design, This means I need Very good contrast and resolution, im looking to spend about 200-300 at the most.

I heard that S-IPS panel is what im looking for but they cost way to much...

:( 

So I was looking at these cause it has great contrast and resolution:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://aztekcomputers.com/detail.php/part_num/DS1254/VI...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8273101&s...
December 28, 2007 6:45:07 AM

Did you check out the 226CW? It's here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8400456&s...

I almost bought one myself today, but I was blown away by the Gateway FHD2400. However, I found out it has a TN panel, and I want to avoid that. So, I'm probably going to end up getting the BenQ FP241W and spending more then I want to.
December 28, 2007 7:02:34 AM

Yeah that ones bad, there are 3 diff versions, thing is you dont know which you end up with.

There is the S which is great

The the A which is ok

Then the C which is horrible.

I heard they stoped making The S(most liely the display one you saw)
Related resources
December 28, 2007 7:22:07 AM

No, it's a completely different monitor. There is no chance of getting a bad panel on these, like with the BW. 2 reasons I didn't buy it is that it's a TN panel, and the 24" blew me away. I was also considering the Lenovo Thinkvision L220X, here:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/Len...

which you can find for around $450. However, there are no reviews of it being used in gaming and I have heard from one owner that it has a coating on it that makes the screen look grainy. I've seen pictures of it, and it doesn't look grainy at all. I have yet to see it on display though, and doubt I will. There's a partial review of it here, and this monitor is my 2nd choice:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Thi...
December 28, 2007 2:17:17 PM

Correct
a b 4 Gaming
December 28, 2007 2:57:35 PM

Regarding "Graphic Design" are you looking for good color accuracy? If yes, then I would recommend avoiding any monitor that has a TN panel. All TN panels uses 6-bit colors, that means the panel and only reproduce 64 shades of each primary color; Red, Green, Blue. That works out to 262k colors and using the dithering process the remaining 16 million colors can be estimated. Any TN panel listing 16.7 million colors is just plain BS.

Monitors using the S-IPS/H-IPS panel will generally give you the best color accuracy, they are kinda pricey to say the least.

You should look into the middle of the road monitors that uses S-PVA or P-MVA which produces 8-bit colors. That means 256 shades of Red, Green, and Blue can be created that works out to true 16.7 million colors. Of course this type of technology is more expensive and also not as common as the inferior TN panel LCD monitors.

As monetioned before, the Lenovo ThinkVision L220x is the first S-PVA panel to appear in a 22" LCD monitor. When it was first introduced, the L220x was selling for $450 after a $50 rebate. That rebate no longer exists, so now the price is $500.

S-PVA/P-MVA 24" LCD monitors starts at about $575 - $600. Anything less (unless there's a sale or rebate) means a TN panel or a no name brand who might be using S-PVA/P-MVA panels that did not meet all the quality control checks that more established brands may have.
December 29, 2007 3:53:34 AM

Jaguar - 1st, I used to have an 86 XJ6. I loved it, but it kept blowing motors. That tends to get expensive. Anyway, I kind of brought it up before, but would you recommend getting the BenQ FP241W?
December 29, 2007 6:03:39 AM

I don't have that type of money, whats the best TN I can get then?
December 29, 2007 6:19:16 AM

Don't read much into my reply, I haven't owned an LCD, and the only reason I want one now is because my 9 year old CRT is dying. Anyway, if I was going to buy an LCD with a TN panel, I'd buy the Samsung 226CW. 2ms response time, with an increased color gamut. The pictures I saw on it were clear and sharp. When I looked at the LCD's Best Buy had, this one blew the other 22" LCD's away. Do a search for reviews on it before make your decision though.
December 29, 2007 6:55:01 AM

I heard the 226CW has real bad ghosting...

Ahh why is this so hard!
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2007 8:30:12 AM

crazy032 said:
Jaguar - 1st, I used to have an 86 XJ6. I loved it, but it kept blowing motors. That tends to get expensive. Anyway, I kind of brought it up before, but would you recommend getting the BenQ FP241W?

1. My name isn't based on the car company, but rather the animal itself.

2. I would definitely recommend the BenQ FP241W. It was one of the monitors on my list before I decided to buy my 26" NEC LCD monitor. The only real drawback to this monitor is that there seems to be plenty of being sold with the original firmware (November 2006) which does not support 1:1 pixel mapping. Only firmware version January 2007 and later supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

If that feature isn't important to you then don't hesitate buying one for yourself.
a b 4 Gaming
December 29, 2007 8:45:14 AM

spardasieg said:
I don't have that type of money, whats the best TN I can get then?

Sorry, can't really help you there since I don't really bother researching monitors using TN panels.

The best was probably the original Samsung 226BW monitor which uses the "S-panel". Now there are S, A, C, and I heard a recently introduced P panel are used in that model.
December 29, 2007 1:36:07 PM

why dont you say anything about Dell monitors?
is 2407Wfp-HC worth the US$350 more than the new TN panel SP2208WPF?
ps. the only one i´ve always had was a 173 17'' Samsung, so i guess anyone of these would be nice.
waht u think?
December 30, 2007 7:06:00 PM

I would look into a viewsonic.

They're pretty darned good for the price.
And never buy anything from Best Buy. They are a complete ripoff.
a b 4 Gaming
December 31, 2007 5:03:58 PM

danilodn said:

is 2407Wfp-HC worth the US$350 more than the new TN panel SP2208WPF?

For me, I would definitely buy the 2407WFP-HC over the SP2208WFP 'cause I don't like TN panel technology at all. However, it seems a lot of people are having ghosting issues with this monitor. To be more specific, inverse ghosting where ghost images with the opposite colors are being displayed.

January 7, 2008 9:59:28 PM

You might also want to consider the HP LP2065 it's either an S-IPS or A-MVA panel depending you your luck of the draw. It's about $350 after rebate.

This panel lottery is a little less risky than the samsung 226 or dell lotteries because the A-MVA isn't as bad as the the panels dell and samsung were mixing in.

see this thread and the links i posted here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53454-3-photo-editing-only
!