120 000 kb/sec hdd

Gallicus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Anyone heard of this speed?

http://www.armacomputer.com/products/TurboDisX.htm

claim that with hardware and software mod done to the disc 120 000 kb/sec is possible. I really cannot see how.

The site is in Turkish, I am told nothing really major is written just that with this "TurboDisx" you can double, triple or even quadruple your disk speed.

Curious about what everyone thinks...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I can't read that site and couldn't find anything that would translate it but from what u said I guess it could be some sort of software raid thing. Pretty much just make a bunch of hard drives appear as 1. If that is the case it is probably doing a raid0 on the drives. If that isn't the case then that is bs, lol. I don't think a drive exists that can do ~120mb/s on its own, mod or not.

If you want better hd performance get a raid controller, a couple identical hds, and raid0 them.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Gallicus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Should have asked for my mate to translate this earlier;

Here you go in English;

--------------------------from www.armacomputer.com-----------------------------------
Top performance; A performance never seen before is carried to your offices and homes by Arma Computer... You are going to fly with the TurboDisx technology that is faster then the fastest SCSI drives with 15000 RPM. TurboDisx technology that gives on, on average, 2, 3, or 5 times performance to normal 7200 RPM discs is produced in 3 types. These types enumerated b,c,d give on the evarage 2, 3, and 4 times performance increase, respectively. As you know, the most used and the slowest portion of the computer is the hard disk. All data pass through here eventually... So any performance increase as high as 2,3 or 4 on the hard disk is better then having 10 times higher performance on the RAM and CPU. Many users, when they change their hard disks from 5400 to 7200 rpm hard disks, feel the performance increase. The performance increase which is lower then 30% can be felt very clearly. Think then, how TurboDisx will give you performance increase, and a performance advantage. Look at the table below for TurboDisx performance values;

[HERE IS THE TABLE WITH GRAPHIC SHOWING A 320 GB TURBODISCX HDD HAS 120 MB/SEC SPEED]

Technology; Turbodisx; requires both system, and hardware optimization. On the picture to the right you can see how TurboDisx parts are seen in the system.

[TO THE RIGHT IS THE PICTURE THAT SHOWS A PRIMARY BOOT PARTITION, WHICH SHOWS (PROGRAM FILES) AND (DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS) DIRECTORIES AS SEPERATE HDDS]

2,3, or 4 times faster TurboDisx folders are not seen as normal folders. The data processing you do from these folders or drives will be made with the speed of light. On fileservers, for video editing, or anywhere you need fast hard disk operations this difference is extremely visible.

The rest is blah blah about how cheap it is, how expensive it should be for what it should do blah blah

blah.

--------------------------from www.armacomputer.com-----------------------------------

The reason I am curious is the fact that the internet is swarming with stuff like this. I also believe this is total balloney, there is no mod I know of that can speed up a hard disk without almost killing that said hard disk...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Now that I can read it I think it is definatly a scam, lol.
If something like that actually existed I don't think that would be the only website found on google when you type in turbodisx.

ty for the translation :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I agree with Folken, I doesnt tell you why the turbo disk is any faster. It simply says it is, reminds me a lot of the michaels computers web site Tomshardware did an article on a while back. If technology like this did exist then big hard disk manufacturers would have researched it by now.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Plus even if their claims were true their conclusions are not.

Its like saying a resturant would be twice as fast if the delivery trucks unloaded their goods twice as fast.

An infinately fast hard drive wouldn't add 1 FPS to a first person shooter or take one minute off the time it takes to encode a DivX movie.

For exampe if durring a game it takes 2 minutes for a game to load a new level, 30 seconds of which involves retrieving the files from the hard drive then a drive which is 10 times faster would only shave 17 seconds from the games load time.

To make the game load 10 times faster the CPU, Memory, Graphics Card and all the buses would all have to be ten times faster.

i_am_not_god

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
If You want the fastest hard drive out, well you cant call it a hard drive, its called HyperOS. It uses a PCI card as storage and its like memory but its always there. Google it, but be warned its pricey, and u wont get alot of space either, just enough for windows and a couple of games.

oh btw its the HyperOS package with HyperDrive
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by i_am_not_god on 02/21/05 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>