why new icons appear on all user desktops??

July 17, 2005 1:58:26 AM

When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?

--
kerry

More about : icons user desktops

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 1:58:27 AM

Run regedt32.exe and have a look at the Reg_Expand_Sz string values of

"Desktop"
found in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
(should be) %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
and

"Common Desktop"
found in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
(should be) %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop

Sound like they're pointing to the same place.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kerry" wrote:

| When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
| 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
| desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?
|

| --
| kerry
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 3:18:09 PM

The icon is likely going onto the "All Users" desktop, and not actually into
the individual user's desktop.

"kerry" wrote:

> When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
> 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
> desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?
>

> --
> kerry

July 18, 2005 12:16:57 AM

kerry wrote:
> When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on
> all 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from
> all desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?

Because it is in the ALL USERS desktop instead of the users' desktop itself.
It would require copying to each of the individual desktops if you want them
each to have them at first - if the accounts already exist (logon scripts
are good for this in a domain environment.) However, if this is a new
machine and not everyone that will exist on it now exists.. A Default user
profile could be setup so that you have a BASE for everyone new logging on -
but they can change it as they see fit.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

what version of windows are you running?

!