why new icons appear on all user desktops??

When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?

--
kerry
4 answers Last reply

    Run regedt32.exe and have a look at the Reg_Expand_Sz string values of

    "Desktop"
    found in
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    (should be) %USERPROFILE%\Desktop
    and

    "Common Desktop"
    found in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    (should be) %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop

    Sound like they're pointing to the same place.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "kerry" wrote:

    | When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
    | 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
    | desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?
    |

    | --
    | kerry

    The icon is likely going onto the "All Users" desktop, and not actually into
    the individual user's desktop.

    kerry wrote:
    > When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on
    > all 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from
    > all desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?

    Because it is in the ALL USERS desktop instead of the users' desktop itself.
    It would require copying to each of the individual desktops if you want them
    each to have them at first - if the accounts already exist (logon scripts
    are good for this in a domain environment.) However, if this is a new
    machine and not everyone that will exist on it now exists.. A Default user
    profile could be setup so that you have a BASE for everyone new logging on -
    but they can change it as they see fit.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    what version of windows are you running?

    "kerry" wrote:

    > When any of our 3 users adds an icon to their desktop, it appears on all
    > 3 desktops. And if any one of them deletes it, it vanishes from all
    > desktops. How do we make each desktop unique?
    >

    > --
    > kerry

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP