Sign in with
Your question

As a gamer, is a 19/20" better than a 22"?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 28, 2007 10:46:25 PM

? question as stated in title.
All I keep reading, makes it sound like for gaming, a smaller monitor would be better. I really want a 22" for the 720p resolution, but if it's not going to be really good for gaming, then....

Thoughts?

More about : gamer

December 30, 2007 11:08:01 PM

Larger monitors give higher resolutions, i.e. better looking graphics.

I don't think there is a down side to having bigger monitors, for gaming you should find a monitor with a low response time and preferably a DVI connection (digital connection).

Hope this helps.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 195 C Monitor
December 31, 2007 6:57:40 PM

Actually, many (if not all) 20" monitors offers the same resolution as 22" monitors. The difference will be in the pixel pitch or spacing between each pixel. The pixel pitch of 20" monitors will be slightly smaller than 22" LCD monitors.

Basically it means that images and text on a 20" LCD monitor will be marginally sharper than a 22" LCD monitor.

19" monitors (widescreen) offers lower resolutions of 1440 x 900. That means it has about 27% less pixels than a 20"/22" monitor. This resolution would be good for people with entry level or one of the weaker mainstream video cards. For example nVidia 8500/8600GT or ATI 2400/2600 (Pro??).
Related resources
January 5, 2008 2:35:07 AM

As most of the 20-22" have a resolution 1650x1050(assuming its widescreen), and you say that over the picture might be sharper on the 20", what about the size of images or text? I remember reading it before, that on the 20" everything is more smaller, and its more spread out and better (in terms of viewable size) on the 22".
Am I making any sense, or just way of course?
January 6, 2008 10:34:06 PM

Quote:
As most of the 20-22" have a resolution 1650x1050(assuming its widescreen), and you say that over the picture might be sharper on the 20", what about the size of images or text? I remember reading it before, that on the 20" everything is more smaller, and its more spread out and better (in terms of viewable size) on the 22".
Am I making any sense, or just way of course?

Nope, you've basically got it. Since both 20" and 22" inch panels have the same number of pixels, the pixels end up be larger on the 22". It's actually referred to as the 'dot pitch' of the screen.

I personally prefer 19" and 22" in monitors, since they have some of the larger dot pitches out there. I do a lot of text work since I'm a programmer, so having everything a bit larger means less eye strain for me.

As far as gaming goes, it's always more fun to have a bigger screen. The only caveat here is you'll want to make sure you have a decent videocard to drive your games at that resolution.
!