Internal HD tray, How To?

rustyjackson

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
My Gateway 2.8g P4 PC has 2 HD's. The 2nd drive I use for AVI, WAV, TIFF files only. no software, etc.
I'd like to set it up so I could swap HD's in and out as I move from one video project to another.
I have looked at some enclosures, some w/fans, some without. I am not a advanced hardware kind of person and don't know how to go about setting it up.
I just installed a new system drive and reloaded my XP software but that is the limit of my skills.
Your help and product recomendations are greatly appreciated.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Get a 5.25" hotswap enclosure. That would probably be the cheapest and easiest way of doing it.
You could have a separate portable hd for each project (USB or FireWire) but that would be more expensive.
What type of hd are you planning on using? IDE, SATA, SCSI, etc.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I have three cheap 5.25" which I use to swap drives between my 2 PCs and with friends.

If you are using IDE drives you will have to reboot, IDE is not hotswapable unless you have a special IDE controller card.

SATA on the other hand is hotswapable. If your motherboard has SATA or you are willing to buy a SATA controller you can swap SATA drives while windows in running.

You can also get an external IDE hard drive enclosure with both USB 2.0 and SATA connectors for about $39.

The SATA connector will let you use an external hard drive without any performance penalty. USB 2.0 is limmited to about 24 mb/s, but is nice to have since it will allow you to connect to any PC.

rustyjackson

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
My other hard drive is IDE. Is it as simple as buying the tray and installing it then sliding a new drive in and go?

Seems as tho nothing in the computer world id that simple.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yep, it is as simple as that. For an IDE drive you will have to shut down the computer to do the swap though.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

TRENDING THREADS