My System32 Folder is missing

I searched my computer but the System32 Folder is no where to be found.
One more thing, normally, My Registry Editor opens when i type regedit in
Run, now it shows an error message about "regedit.com", i have to add .exe at
the end to make regedit show up.
Any ideas of how to fix my problem would be great
Thanks

Malke

tn wrote:

> I searched my computer but the System32 Folder is no where to be
> found. One more thing, normally, My Registry Editor opens when i type
> regedit in Run, now it shows an error message about "regedit.com", i
> have to add .exe at the end to make regedit show up.
> Any ideas of how to fix my problem would be great
> Thanks

You need to turn on Show Hidden Files and Show Hidden Protected
Operating System Files (exact wording might be a little different - I'm
not at a Windows box right now to check). Do this from the Folder
Options applet in Control Panel.

Other than that, you haven't really given us enough information to help
us narrow down the troubleshooting. Have you done any scanning for
viruses? What av do you have installed (name, version, and whether your
subscription is current)?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Your system32 folder is not missing or you would be getting more errors than
you are running into. As noted above you need to configure your system to
show hidden files and folders. I would walk you through the process but
honestly you probably don't need to go there unless you know exactly the
problem and what you need to do there.

The error opening regedit sounds like behavior that matches some virus
infections. As a test you might try to run other commands such as ipconfig
or notepad without the .exe extension to see if they are having the same
problems.

You might also want to let us know what other problems you are running into
before going into the registry. The registry is a very sensitive area and
you can cause lots of problems by fumbling around in there.

keep us posted!

"Malke" wrote:

> tn wrote:
>
> > I searched my computer but the System32 Folder is no where to be
> > found. One more thing, normally, My Registry Editor opens when i type
> > regedit in Run, now it shows an error message about "regedit.com", i
> > have to add .exe at the end to make regedit show up.
> > Any ideas of how to fix my problem would be great
> > Thanks
>
> You need to turn on Show Hidden Files and Show Hidden Protected
> Operating System Files (exact wording might be a little different - I'm
> not at a Windows box right now to check). Do this from the Folder
> Options applet in Control Panel.
>
> Other than that, you haven't really given us enough information to help
> us narrow down the troubleshooting. Have you done any scanning for
> viruses? What av do you have installed (name, version, and whether your
> subscription is current)?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

I suggest a repair install to replace any missing files or folders. This
may also fix the regedit problem.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

PattyL