Broekn XP, start up the problem?

Very strange problem in XP SP2. When you get to the welcome screen, like
usual you would click on the icon of the user name, but when trying to log on
it shows the wallpaper, then says logging out, then shows an error box with
no information. All it is, is a normal error box with a red circle and white
"X" in the middle, and has 2 buttons, yes and no. This has happened to
another XP SP2 computer we have at our home, so i just reinstalled windows on
it. But we don't want to lose information, both the same error on both
computers, one which was a few weeks ago, and today another XP SP2. Is there
a way to fix the error? If it missing files I can jsut take the hdd out and
put it with my computer and send missing stuff to it. If you know how to
fix, help would be nice. Sorry but this is also posted in XP MCE area too,
cuz i posted in wrong spot first.

A repair installation will not delete any files but I would not do this. The
problem with reinstalling Windows is that it is just a shot in the dark. If
you do not know what the problem is then how do you know what a reinstall
will fix it?

When you get to the welcome screen do you have any other users to log into?
If so, try another user. If you don't have any other users or the problem
persists with other users then you will have to try safemode.

To get into safemode reboot the computer and tap the F8 key as the computer
boots up. You can also try the following article for more info on getting
into safemode...

If you are able to get to a desktop in safemode then you are generally home
free. At this point you are usually looking at something minor causing the
problem. You can do a couple of things here. You could go into "users" in
the control panel and create a new user to log into. After creating a new
user you can reboot the computer and select this user. If the problem goes
away then you can get back to us and use that other user until you get the
other fixed.

If the new user does not fix the problem you can try a cleanboot as
described in the following article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434

The article is pretty long with many advanced steps. I would hit the
section for third party software first. You can also unplug any
non-essential devices. Basically safemode disables most of your hardware and
startup programs. Your problem is likely caused by one of these items. Let
us know how it turns out.

--
http://www.americantechie.com

"kiyo" wrote:

> Very strange problem in XP SP2. When you get to the welcome screen, like
> usual you would click on the icon of the user name, but when trying to log on
> it shows the wallpaper, then says logging out, then shows an error box with
> no information. All it is, is a normal error box with a red circle and white
> "X" in the middle, and has 2 buttons, yes and no. This has happened to
> another XP SP2 computer we have at our home, so i just reinstalled windows on
> it. But we don't want to lose information, both the same error on both
> computers, one which was a few weeks ago, and today another XP SP2. Is there
> a way to fix the error? If it missing files I can jsut take the hdd out and
> put it with my computer and send missing stuff to it. If you know how to
> fix, help would be nice. Sorry but this is also posted in XP MCE area too,
> cuz i posted in wrong spot first.

2 computers and 2 of the same errors? If you are looking for a fix may I suggest looking at your fingers as they hit the Enter key on the keyboard. Kazaa,P**n and similar sites will get you this.

To take off the Data that you want to save then take out your HD and put into your other computer as a slave and save your files. Suggest that you do not try to save files that you downloaded from the Net that has caused this issue unless you want to keep going in a chin reaction effect continuously wit both your systems in the same house

--
Peter

"kiyo" <kiyo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04721395-8E96-4FEE-A39C-F0F5292A9310@microsoft.com...
> Very strange problem in XP SP2. When you get to the welcome screen, like
> usual you would click on the icon of the user name, but when trying to log on
> it shows the wallpaper, then says logging out, then shows an error box with
> no information. All it is, is a normal error box with a red circle and white
> "X" in the middle, and has 2 buttons, yes and no. This has happened to
> another XP SP2 computer we have at our home, so i just reinstalled windows on
> it. But we don't want to lose information, both the same error on both
> computers, one which was a few weeks ago, and today another XP SP2. Is there
> a way to fix the error? If it missing files I can jsut take the hdd out and
> put it with my computer and send missing stuff to it. If you know how to
> fix, help would be nice. Sorry but this is also posted in XP MCE area too,
> cuz i posted in wrong spot first.

I have the same problem whit my computer. I have tried to open in safemode,
but in did not help me. I am unalbe to start it. Anyone else have a
suggestion?

Now I`m sitting on a another computer.

Sorry my bad english, I`m from another country :).