MN-700 Setup problems

I am new to the wireless network thing so bear with me.
I bought an MN-700 when I got a new HP notebook wih built
in b/g wireless. I thought that was all I needed. I
only have the laptop, and wanted the MN-700 so that I
could use the web anywhere in the house over the wireless
system. However, all of the diagrams and setup
instructions show the base station being plugged into the
back of a computer via the blue ethernet cable. So what
gives? Can I set up the system for use by my laptop any
other way, or am I missing a key component? Do I need to
configure the built-in wireless on the laptop
seperately? I tried to folow the 'wireless setup'
instructions but that didn't work either. HELP! Thanks
in advance to anyone offering sugestions.
5 answers Last reply
More about setup problems

    I have a MN-700.
    U dont have to be hooked up by the cat 5 LAN cable once u
    set it up.
    But it will be a heck of alot easier if you do use a cable
    and the install CD.

    If your laptop doesnt have a Ethernet a USB one or PCMIA
    card is a cheap choice.

    Or save the money and take your base station to a friends
    PC for setup. You need to setup some network info and
    security.. than you'll be set.
    GuardrailKiller

    I technically can be configured via wireless but it is a major pain.

    You also need the wired connection to be able to upgrade the firmware as
    a wireless connection is not as stable or fast as a wired one.

    Josh wrote:

    > I am new to the wireless network thing so bear with me.
    > I bought an MN-700 when I got a new HP notebook wih built
    > in b/g wireless. I thought that was all I needed. I
    > only have the laptop, and wanted the MN-700 so that I
    > could use the web anywhere in the house over the wireless
    > system. However, all of the diagrams and setup
    > instructions show the base station being plugged into the
    > back of a computer via the blue ethernet cable. So what
    > gives? Can I set up the system for use by my laptop any
    > other way, or am I missing a key component? Do I need to
    > configure the built-in wireless on the laptop
    > seperately? I tried to folow the 'wireless setup'
    > instructions but that didn't work either. HELP! Thanks
    > in advance to anyone offering sugestions.

    I don't know what to say about the other two posts... I bought an MN-700 and
    I had no trouble setting it up via wireless. I have a Sony notebook with a
    Linksys WPC11 wireless card running XP Pro. As soon as I plugged the MN-700
    in, the wireless card saw it. I told XP to connect to the new wireless
    signal it now saw, which it did. From there, I was able to plug the IP
    address specified in the manual into IE and get into the Setup functions on
    the MN-700 using the default username and password, also from the manual.
    The Setup functions went smoothly, it had no trouble with the network info
    from my ISP, I was able to change username and password, setup WEP, change
    the SSID, all by wireless. Once I turned on WEP, I was disconnected; I
    configured the wireless connection on the notebook with the WEP settings I
    setup in the MN-700 and was able to reconnect without issue. All in all,
    the process was painless and fairly quick. If you can be a little more
    specific on what isn't happening, I'll try to provide more detail on what I
    did during setup.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
    Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

    "Josh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am new to the wireless network thing so bear with me.
    > I bought an MN-700 when I got a new HP notebook wih built
    > in b/g wireless. I thought that was all I needed. I
    > only have the laptop, and wanted the MN-700 so that I
    > could use the web anywhere in the house over the wireless
    > system. However, all of the diagrams and setup
    > instructions show the base station being plugged into the
    > back of a computer via the blue ethernet cable. So what
    > gives? Can I set up the system for use by my laptop any
    > other way, or am I missing a key component? Do I need to
    > configure the built-in wireless on the laptop
    > seperately? I tried to folow the 'wireless setup'
    > instructions but that didn't work either. HELP! Thanks
    > in advance to anyone offering sugestions.

    wireless HP Laptop, and a HP Desktop Computer and use a
    cable modem for my internet service. This all hooked fine
    with both the laptop and desktop using the internet at
    the same time. You can also share files and a printer. My
    question to you is, if the laptop is the only computer
    you have in your house/Apt, I see no need for the
    Wireless Base Station. My set up is the internet service
    comes into my cable modem, out of the modem via an
    ethernet cable to the MN-700. From the MN 700 an ethernet
    cable goes to my Desktop. Then the router talks to my
    Laptop wirelessly by air to share the internet and files.
    I hope this all makes since.

    Wireless connections don't always work the very first time. Some people
    get a returned router that had wireless settings already configured that
    makes it hard to get in without a hard reset on the router. Plus you
    can't change the routers channel if you can't connect to it. Those are
    some of the reasons I say that configuring it via wireless is hard.

    Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS] wrote:

    > I don't know what to say about the other two posts... I bought an MN-700 and
    > I had no trouble setting it up via wireless. I have a Sony notebook with a
    > Linksys WPC11 wireless card running XP Pro. As soon as I plugged the MN-700
    > in, the wireless card saw it. I told XP to connect to the new wireless
    > signal it now saw, which it did. From there, I was able to plug the IP
    > address specified in the manual into IE and get into the Setup functions on
    > the MN-700 using the default username and password, also from the manual.
    > The Setup functions went smoothly, it had no trouble with the network info
    > from my ISP, I was able to change username and password, setup WEP, change
    > the SSID, all by wireless. Once I turned on WEP, I was disconnected; I
    > configured the wireless connection on the notebook with the WEP settings I
    > setup in the MN-700 and was able to reconnect without issue. All in all,
    > the process was painless and fairly quick. If you can be a little more
    > specific on what isn't happening, I'll try to provide more detail on what I
    > did during setup.
    >
    > Hal

Routers Wireless Networking