Slow boot

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
windows 2000 ads server seems to take 5-10 mins. to boot up? What is it looking for? thanks

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
It stops on "Preparing networking connections". takes about 6 mins. to get to the log on screen after that.

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

ridgid

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
well, I would check out all your network settings then

remove anythings thats not needed,
manualy set your ip if you can

also, think on that webpage i posted early there is also a setting where your homepage gets synchronized on start up
which you can disable which helps in boot time as well

if you still have problems please provide the following
network connection?
you got broadband? are you connected directly to cable or are you on a home netework with alot of other systems on it

your system only have one network card?
have you checked IRQ conflicts with the network card?

what networking protocalls are you running?
tcip
vpn
???

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
i have static ip, only running tcp/ip, no broadband at this time, local lan at home, running 10/100 auto 5 port switch, with 3 other computers running at home on same lan. system has one NIC in it. I will have to check on the IRQ Confict for you. will get back with more details. no vpn at all. I will have more system specs for you later.

ridgid

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
ok, one thing I would look at is your settings for your network, could have a mapped network drive set to establish connection on system startup which if its having problems

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Good point i will check that and let you know what i find out.

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Ummm another thing i can check and FYI for anybody else.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q285825
Newly Promoted Domain Controller Is Slow to Start, Hangs at Network Connections Screen
I will let you know if this will fix my problem.

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
ok i found out what the problem was - my server was looking for a dns server that no longer was on my network. Pointed it to working dns server on my network and that solved the problem. Thank you for your help.