Win 98 Bad Disk Sector Problem

aviwil

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I have an IBM-DTLA-307030 30MB disk on a Win '98 SE 128 MB system - 4 yrs old . The disk has played up and a part ahs bad sectors which even the IBM DFT ver 3.40 program cannot fix . As I have this disk logically divided with System Commander into 2 separate op systems , so the "second" Win 98 had it's swap file just in this place ( the IBM DFT program told me that - but couldn't fix it ) . I renamed it and put the swap file on another logical disk away from the problem area . Is there any program , which will let me actually define that old swap file ( 100 MB size ) - as a bad sector ? If I even just try to see the file's properties under Win 98 , the system hangs .

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
There should be disk tools that can do that - I used to use Norton Utilities, but that was before Symantec bought them, and before FAT32. Maybe the current version of NU still can do that, I don't know. I haven't tried to do anything similar in a long time.

Mike.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Windows 98's drive scanning utility tests for and marks bad sectors.

BTW when a modern hard drive gets bad sectors it is circling the drain.

If you can't afford a replacement drive now, made sure you have everything important backed up.

neCroManCer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
harddisk w/ -4 yrs old is such a long life time HD. My HD gettin' several bad sectors in 3yrs old. My HD is Maxtor and the condition of electricity in my city (or current country) not good enough and I never use an UPS/ other similar. So... (you can guess that)

The complete/ final solution about that problem just backup your HD and buy the new HD with guarantee too ;)

Until this time my HD still to be use actively, although there are many errors. Example, my primary partition (C:) with the size of 10GB not activated by myself, because there is error occured if I filling that partition with active data/ system. Every I installing a new system on C: completely, in the several days the system get some serious errors. So I must install my primary system on another partition.

CMC

=================================================
Try to learn something better for your own life.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by neCroManCer on 01/28/05 01:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>