VIA AC'97 Mic is not fucntioning.

I opened the program SOUND RECORDER. I went to 'Edit', then clicked on 'Audio
Properties'. Then I clicked on the
tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each scroll
bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars are:
Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player.
If I check the box under Stereo Mixer, all the Sound Recorder does it
record whatever audio I'm currently listening to. If I check the box under
any other scroll bar, and then press the Record button, I hear this
disturbing noice and the green line with the black background barely moves at
all.

I posted this before, but my problem wasn't solved completely. Any help
would be appreciated.

Peter_Mac wrote:
> I opened the program SOUND RECORDER. I went to 'Edit', then clicked
> on 'Audio Properties'. Then I clicked on the
> tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window
> labeled 'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom
> of each scroll bar there's a little box that you can click to mute
> it. The scroll bars are: Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD
> Player.
> If I check the box under Stereo Mixer, all the Sound Recorder does it
> record whatever audio I'm currently listening to. If I check the box
> under any other scroll bar, and then press the Record button, I hear
> this disturbing noice and the green line with the black background
> barely moves at all.
>
> I posted this before, but my problem wasn't solved completely. Any
> help would be appreciated.

Is the check box to mute or to select the recording source?

--
Peace!
Kurt

"Peter_Mac" <PeterMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I opened the program SOUND RECORDER. I went to 'Edit', then clicked on
'Audio
> Properties'. Then I clicked on the
> tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
> 'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each
scroll
> bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars
are:
> Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player.
> If I check the box under Stereo Mixer, all the Sound Recorder does it
> record whatever audio I'm currently listening to. If I check the box under
> any other scroll bar, and then press the Record button, I hear this
> disturbing noice and the green line with the black background barely moves
at
> all.
>
> I posted this before, but my problem wasn't solved completely. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Well, maybe it's just me, but in my experience with AC97 stuff on
motherboards , they just do not handle the low level from your
typical dynamic mic. Plug an old crystal mic (100mv) and it works
well. The dynamics only put out about 5 mv and none of the systems
I have experimented with will handle that -- if you speak very loud
into the mic, you can almost hear it. I use an "audiobuddy" to take
a good mic output and bump it up to the line in voltage (150 mv)
and it works very well.

mikey

Possible answer. Do you have a web cam with a built in microphone?
Sometimes it will 'take over' from the microphone plugged in. Try
unplugging you web cam and see if it comes back.

"Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Peter_Mac" <PeterMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I opened the program SOUND RECORDER. I went to 'Edit', then clicked on
> 'Audio
>> Properties'. Then I clicked on the
>> tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
>> 'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each
> scroll
>> bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars
> are:
>> Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player.
>> If I check the box under Stereo Mixer, all the Sound Recorder does it
>> record whatever audio I'm currently listening to. If I check the box
>> under
>> any other scroll bar, and then press the Record button, I hear this
>> disturbing noice and the green line with the black background barely
>> moves
> at
>> all.
>>
>> I posted this before, but my problem wasn't solved completely. Any help
>> would be appreciated.
>
> Well, maybe it's just me, but in my experience with AC97 stuff on
> motherboards , they just do not handle the low level from your
> typical dynamic mic. Plug an old crystal mic (100mv) and it works
> well. The dynamics only put out about 5 mv and none of the systems
> I have experimented with will handle that -- if you speak very loud
> into the mic, you can almost hear it. I use an "audiobuddy" to take
> a good mic output and bump it up to the line in voltage (150 mv)
> and it works very well.
>
> mikey

While that window is up with the five scroll bars, go up and click on
Options and then on Advanced Controls.

A new window will come up and now under the mic make sure the Select box is
checked. There will also be a button named Advanced. Click on that button.

Put a check mark to boost the mic if there is a option there for that under
the Other Controls section. See if that helps.

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> Possible answer. Do you have a web cam with a built in microphone?
> Sometimes it will 'take over' from the microphone plugged in. Try
> unplugging you web cam and see if it comes back.
>
> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter_Mac" <PeterMac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I opened the program SOUND RECORDER. I went to 'Edit', then clicked on
>> 'Audio
>>> Properties'. Then I clicked on the
>>> tab 'Volume' for the Sound Recording. That takes me to a window labeled
>>> 'Recording Control'. There are 5 scroll bars...at the bottom of each
>> scroll
>>> bar there's a little box that you can click to mute it. The scroll bars
>> are:
>>> Recording, Stereo Mixer, Mic, Line In, CD Player.
>>> If I check the box under Stereo Mixer, all the Sound Recorder does it
>>> record whatever audio I'm currently listening to. If I check the box
>>> under
>>> any other scroll bar, and then press the Record button, I hear this
>>> disturbing noice and the green line with the black background barely
>>> moves
>> at
>>> all.
>>>
>>> I posted this before, but my problem wasn't solved completely. Any help
>>> would be appreciated.
>>
>> Well, maybe it's just me, but in my experience with AC97 stuff on
>> motherboards , they just do not handle the low level from your
>> typical dynamic mic. Plug an old crystal mic (100mv) and it works
>> well. The dynamics only put out about 5 mv and none of the systems
>> I have experimented with will handle that -- if you speak very loud
>> into the mic, you can almost hear it. I use an "audiobuddy" to take
>> a good mic output and bump it up to the line in voltage (150 mv)
>> and it works very well.
>>
>> mikey

KURTTRAIL: The box is to select the recording source. Because when I click on
the box under ‘Stereo Mixer’, and then I recorded while playing some music,
it only recorded the audio coming from the PC.

MIKE FIELDS: I have a built in mic…so I don’t know if that’ll work.

JONE DOE: I don’t have a web cam…but I do have a built in mic.

ED: I did that…and I even checked the 1 20dB Boost box. You know how there’s
a scroll bar you can move vertically (Volume) and one horizontally (Balance)?
Well, you can’t adjust the bars under “Recording� at all. And you can only
adjust the vertical bar under “Mic�. All of the other scroll bars are
adjustable.