Sign in with
Your question
Closed

LCD monitor won't turn on until windows loads - 24" Acer x243w

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 2, 2008 10:38:19 PM

The title pretty much says it all. It's a 24" Acer x243w widescreen monitor. It's been doing this ever since I opened the box, I've just never got around to troubleshooting it until now.

Whenever I start up my computer, the monitor says "no signal" and goes into the "sleep mode" until windows loads. It's done this on both of the computers that I have. One has XP one has Vista.

It's highly annoying because anytime I want to edit my BIOS, I need to hook up a different monitor because my Acer won't show anything until windows loads.

Can anyone please help me troubleshoot this issue?

My system right now...
Asus p5n32-e sli
2x 8800gt superoverclocked 512MB in sli
q6600 at 2.4ghz
soundblaster x-fi extremegamer
windows vista home premium 32-bit
cooler master cosmos 1000 case
cooler master real power pro 1000w psu
a c 196 C Monitor
January 2, 2008 11:55:08 PM

I believe it is because you are connecting it to a standard VGA D-Sub port.

I currently have a similar problem with my Planar PX191 monitor when I connect it to my HTPC that has an old ATI AIW Radeon 9600XT which does not have a DVI-D port. I connect my monitor via one of the two VGA D-Sub ports and the monitor displays "Out Of Range" until the login screen appears.

The Planar PX191 has no problems when connected to a DVI-D port.
January 3, 2008 5:30:50 AM

My graphics cards only have DVI outputs...not any VGA outputs.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 1:54:56 AM

I have a similar problem with the X243W LCD monitor. Mine worked for awhile then all I got was a flash of information on the screen that indicated the computer was turned on then nothing. I am using SVGA through a KVM. I validated the KVM is NOT the issue and have connected the monitor to several systems (Linux & Windows). My monitored worked for less than a month (through the KVM), I put in a support request with ACER. When I had this problem the first time I unplugged the monitor from power, waited ~ 10 seconds and plugged it back in; the problem went away for about a week and now it is back with a vengeance. :fou: 
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 14, 2008 9:10:17 PM

my acer X243w LCD monitor began having the same problem a few weeks ago, but a little different. when booting it shows for less than a second each time the information on the screen changes. The same thing happens when windows is loading. For less than a second I can see the windows logo and progressing bar. And again the same thing happens when it gets to desktop. And then remains black. In this time the power led stays blue. My acer does not display "no signal" message, even when I remove the cable form the back of the monitor. Eventually I can get it to work by turning it on and off, unplugging the cables form the back and plugging them again. My monitor has just one VGA connector, and I use adapters on my 8800gt to connect both the acer and a 17 inch Philips. the humming noise that I was reading about on other forums is there too. Is never constant, changing pitch. I noticed that when it does not display any image, the noise stops after buzzing while the image is on. It seems that is one faulty electronic that needs to get hot. After I succeed to get a stable image on the monitor it does not stops again. Also at first, when the image starts to be displayed, it lacks brightness, which it gets stronger until reaches full capacity.
July 28, 2009 5:53:27 PM

Sorry Mods I know this is an old post,

I just started having the same problem. My screens are on, i turn on my computer, the screens don't show bios or turn on until Windows enters the Login page. I have no idea why this would happen. But I overclock somewhat so I need to get into my BIOS.

Any ideas appreciated

Thanks

G
October 5, 2009 4:57:35 PM

Quote:
my acer X243w LCD monitor began having the same problem a few weeks ago, but a little different. when booting it shows for less than a second each time the information on the screen changes. The same thing happens when windows is loading. For less than a second I can see the windows logo and progressing bar. And again the same thing happens when it gets to desktop. And then remains black. In this time the power led stays blue. My acer does not display "no signal" message, even when I remove the cable form the back of the monitor. Eventually I can get it to work by turning it on and off, unplugging the cables form the back and plugging them again. My monitor has just one VGA connector, and I use adapters on my 8800gt to connect both the acer and a 17 inch Philips. the humming noise that I was reading about on other forums is there too. Is never constant, changing pitch. I noticed that when it does not display any image, the noise stops after buzzing while the image is on. It seems that is one faulty electronic that needs to get hot. After I succeed to get a stable image on the monitor it does not stops again. Also at first, when the image starts to be displayed, it lacks brightness, which it gets stronger until reaches full capacity.

Hi, i have the same problem with my acer...how did you manage to fix it?
I am desperate!
Thanks!
December 13, 2009 7:46:41 AM

i got the same problem too,

i got an LG 18.5 inch LCD monitor. i have these DVI and VGA ports. Tried plugging my monitor in both sockets and the BIOS wouldnt show up. Problem is, whenever I restart my computer, my BIOS seems to be appearing. Maybe since the computer already started, like a car waiting for its engine to heat up. I wonder why this is the problem.

Help please!
Mobo : Q9550
RAM: Corsair 800mhz 4gig
gfx: radeon 4870
psu: raidmax 500w (yeah i know, i should change this, and might this be the problem of my computer?)
hdd: wd sata 320gb
November 18, 2010 5:59:52 AM

I have this problem too.

Relevant PC specs:
- Horizon (KTC) 22" LCD monitor
- Radeon 9200 graphics card
- ASUS K8N-E Deluxe socket 754 motherboard
- Windows XP Professional SP3

When I connect my monitor through the DVI port I get no image in the following situations:
- until Windows XP loads
- in Safe Mode
- when I uninstall the video card drivers and it's running with the default Windows drivers (I believe they are the same drivers used in Safe Mode)

My monitor works perfectly fine in the following situations:
- if I connect it through the VGA port
- if I connect it to my new PC (with a GeForce 8800GT, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard, Windows Vista 64/ Windows 7 64)

I think the problem might be that my monitor doesn't support 640x480 resolution when connected through the DVI port, but I'm not sure.

Maybe the POST/BIOS screen on the Gigabyte motherboard and the Windows Vista/7 loading screen and Safe Mode have 800x600 resolution and that's why it works if I connect it to my new PC.
Or maybe the DVI port on my Radeon 9200 is broken.

What could be the problem?
a b C Monitor
November 21, 2010 8:47:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!