Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VPN Settings for Remote Access

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:41:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have the cookbook instructions to set up a VPN server.

On my router, I assume I have to open up port(s).

When you connect via Remote Desktop, do you have to supply the same ports
somehow. I know you type in a computer name, but how does Remote Desktop
know what port to come in on? Or does the router just take care of it?

I know there is specific VPN software that does this.

I know with programs like Remote Admin and PC Anywhere, both the remote and
the server (host) reference the port.

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 7:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You are talking about two completely different items here. Remote Desktop
allows you to connect to another PC and use it just like you are sitting in
front of it. VPN simply allows you to connect to a private network through
the internet. You do not need a VPN to setup Remote Desktop.

Because of these differences we need to know exactly where your recipe is
and how you normally access it. If the recipe is in a location that is
accessible by the local network, then you can VPN into that network and grab
the recipe (assuming you have VPN configured properly.) Otherwise the recipe
may simply reside on a computer that has no shares setup on it. In this case
you would need to grab the recipe via Remote Desktop on that computer because
VPN would not allow this.

In either case you do need to configure your computer, router, and any
firewalls that are running to accept the connections.

Routers and firewalls should allow the following ports for the following
items to pass through...

Remote Desktop: UDP port 3389

VPN: PPTP traffic uses TCP port 1723 to create the connection and IP
protocol 47 to send data. L2TP/IPSec traffic uses UDP ports 500 and 4500 to
create the connection and IP protocol 50 to send data.

Also check out these links:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/ove...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/rdfaq...

--
http://www.americantechie.com


"SQLNow" wrote:

> I have the cookbook instructions to set up a VPN server.
>
> On my router, I assume I have to open up port(s).
>
> When you connect via Remote Desktop, do you have to supply the same ports
> somehow. I know you type in a computer name, but how does Remote Desktop
> know what port to come in on? Or does the router just take care of it?
>
> I know there is specific VPN software that does this.
>
> I know with programs like Remote Admin and PC Anywhere, both the remote and
> the server (host) reference the port.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 9:42:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for the information...

The goal is remote access via the internet.

I am just trying to clarify here. Maybe I am over-complicating things here
and it is really simpler than I am alluding to.

Lets say I have a home network that I want to access remotely. The most
secure way from my understanding is to set up a VPN.

Do routers usually open the ports for PTPP IPsec by default? I noticed
there was a mention of VPN Bypass. What ever the case, I want the most
secure method with minimum risk and exposure.

Thanks!


"AmericanTechie" <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7794FFAD-DE37-45C9-B29A-6063098353F5@microsoft.com...
> You are talking about two completely different items here. Remote Desktop
> allows you to connect to another PC and use it just like you are sitting
> in
> front of it. VPN simply allows you to connect to a private network
> through
> the internet. You do not need a VPN to setup Remote Desktop.
>
> Because of these differences we need to know exactly where your recipe is
> and how you normally access it. If the recipe is in a location that is
> accessible by the local network, then you can VPN into that network and
> grab
> the recipe (assuming you have VPN configured properly.) Otherwise the
> recipe
> may simply reside on a computer that has no shares setup on it. In this
> case
> you would need to grab the recipe via Remote Desktop on that computer
> because
> VPN would not allow this.
>
> In either case you do need to configure your computer, router, and any
> firewalls that are running to accept the connections.
>
> Routers and firewalls should allow the following ports for the following
> items to pass through...
>
> Remote Desktop: UDP port 3389
>
> VPN: PPTP traffic uses TCP port 1723 to create the connection and IP
> protocol 47 to send data. L2TP/IPSec traffic uses UDP ports 500 and 4500
> to
> create the connection and IP protocol 50 to send data.
>
> Also check out these links:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/ove...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/rdfaq...
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
>
>
> "SQLNow" wrote:
>
>> I have the cookbook instructions to set up a VPN server.
>>
>> On my router, I assume I have to open up port(s).
>>
>> When you connect via Remote Desktop, do you have to supply the same ports
>> somehow. I know you type in a computer name, but how does Remote Desktop
>> know what port to come in on? Or does the router just take care of it?
>>
>> I know there is specific VPN software that does this.
>>
>> I know with programs like Remote Admin and PC Anywhere, both the remote
>> and
>> the server (host) reference the port.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 17, 2005 10:12:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"SQLNow" <youngbar@insightbb.com> wrote in message
news:hdmCe.181777$nG6.56389@attbi_s22...
> Thanks for the information...
>
> The goal is remote access via the internet.
>
> I am just trying to clarify here. Maybe I am over-complicating things
> here and it is really simpler than I am alluding to.
>
> Lets say I have a home network that I want to access remotely. The most
> secure way from my understanding is to set up a VPN.
>
> Do routers usually open the ports for PTPP IPsec by default? I noticed
> there was a mention of VPN Bypass. What ever the case, I want the most
> secure method with minimum risk and exposure.
>
> Thanks!

The easiest and most secure way would be Remote Desktop (RD).

Assign your RD host a static IP address and make sure that IP address is
excluded from the DHCP address range on your DHCP server (usually your
router).

Make sure all of the accounts on your RD Host computer have strong
passwords.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...

Open up port 3389 on the Router and make a note of your currently assigned
IP address (usually on the router's "Status" page).

You're now ready to roll from any computer than can run the Remote Desktop
client.

Good Luck,

Carl
!