Using a headset, everyone can hear all my computer audio when I transmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Hello.

I have seen several similar posts regarding this, but have not been able to get a solution to fix the issue for me. I have searched on the net for hours regarding this issue and so far nothing has worked for me.

The problem : Using my headset when I talk on Skype/Ventrillo/Mumble, when I transmit, everyone can hear my computers audio. This isn't the mic picking up bleed from the headphones, they can actually hear everything i hear very clearly, whether its in game sounds or music.

I have almost narrowed this down to either my Motherboard, or Windows 7.

Hardware info:

Motherboard : ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Soundcard - Creative Xi-Fi Extreme
Headset : Razor Carcharias

What I have tried:

Uninstalled all Creative software, removed card from computer and activated on board sound instead.

Activated both sound cards, plugged in the headphones into the X-Fi card, and the Mic into the on board.

Made sure I have the latest drivers installed for both Xi-Fi and on board (creative driver is pretty ancient)

Used a completely separate microphone not attached to the headset.

Made sure all recording devices are switched off except the Mic.

Tried every kind of input and output volume controls, adjusting these does not seem to make a difference.

Made sure Stereo Mix is disabled (this option was only available when using the on board audio, not seeing this option for the Xi-Fi card)

Listen to device disabled.

I've also tried 2 other headsets and issue still persists.

Is there something I can do within Windows 7 to disable this from happening?

Solution
This is a problem with the sound blaster type cards and is well known on the web. The only real way to fix it is to get off of their cards.

dingo07

Distinguished
don't you know that you are not supposed to be playing music or playing games while talking to someone on Skype - didn't your little brother teach you anything about online etiquette!?

---

dude, it's a very simple concept - whatever the microphone pics up will be sent over the wire, it doesn't matter if it's your voice or audio coming from the speakers next to your monitor - Hello!!!

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, your not understanding. I'm not using speakers, there is no audio outside of the headset. Regardless of how far away the microphone is, if i transmit, people can hear what I am hearing through my headset.

dingo07

Distinguished
[strike]exactly dude! you don't get it!

the headset speakers ARE the computer speakers When you have it plugged in!

---

its exactly the same as an A/V receiver that has a 1/4" headphone jack on the front - when you plug it in (on some) the speakers cut out (some have a switch that allows you to switch between both speakers/headset, but thats another story)[/strike]

---

have you disabled the on-board audio from the BIOS?

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, but there is no audible sound bleeding out of the headset. So, with the headset on, I can hear audio, but someone standing right next to me will hear nothing. However, the Microphone is transmitting all audio coming from my PC, even if the Mic is located on the other side of the room.

dingo07

Distinguished
[strike]and these headsets/mics work normally on other computers?[/strike]

u mentioned in ur OP that u tried other headsets with same issue

what if you remove the sound card, enable on-board in the BIOS - does the MB work as it should normally? and did this suddenly start happening after a program installation or lightning strike or power outage?

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Motherboard works fine with the on board enabled and other card removed.

This all started when I bought a new headset (may or may not be relevant). The one I was using was starting to fall apart so I decided to get a new one. All I did was plug the new headset in, no drivers or anything.

Now that I come to think of it, I did run the windows microphone setup wizard, could that be the issue? If so, is there a way to reset this to default?

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah I have tried that as well. I even right clicked to show everything, then made sure every option was disabled except the headset and mic.

I guess if it's not a Windows issue, then it has to be something the motherboard is doing.

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Not touched Device manager, except after the problem to uninstall the sound blaster when I was trying that option. Windows is set to auto update but I haven't see any around the time the problem appeared (which was only 2 days ago).

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

The 'what you hear" option is unchecked. I don't see a "stereo mix" option within the creative software, though not sure if they are both the same thing.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
im guessing that might have been your problem since 'what you hear' option would give similar effect you’re having as it will record simultaneously any sound activity on your computer. Is it selected for using microphone only?

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

The "What you hear" is unchecked though, so it's not using that feature, unless I'm missing something.

The main problem is why would it happen regardless of whether I use the Sound Blaster card, or the On Board, which makes me think it's something within Windows, since it's affecting both.

dingo07

Distinguished

Dude, WTF - you're talking out of both sides of your mouth!

Clansman2012

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Umm no, you asked does the motherboard work. Well yes the Motherboard works, but the audio problem is still there. If you read my initial post, you would have seen the following that i tried..

"Uninstalled all Creative software, removed card from computer and activated on board sound instead. "

Status
Not open for further replies.