Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Headsets
  • Audio
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
September 19, 2012 1:37:53 PM

Hello.

I have seen several similar posts regarding this, but have not been able to get a solution to fix the issue for me. I have searched on the net for hours regarding this issue and so far nothing has worked for me.

The problem : Using my headset when I talk on Skype/Ventrillo/Mumble, when I transmit, everyone can hear my computers audio. This isn't the mic picking up bleed from the headphones, they can actually hear everything i hear very clearly, whether its in game sounds or music.

I have almost narrowed this down to either my Motherboard, or Windows 7.

Hardware info:

Motherboard : ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Soundcard - Creative Xi-Fi Extreme
Headset : Razor Carcharias

What I have tried:

Uninstalled all Creative software, removed card from computer and activated on board sound instead.

Activated both sound cards, plugged in the headphones into the X-Fi card, and the Mic into the on board.

Made sure I have the latest drivers installed for both Xi-Fi and on board (creative driver is pretty ancient)

Used a completely separate microphone not attached to the headset.

Made sure all recording devices are switched off except the Mic.

Tried every kind of input and output volume controls, adjusting these does not seem to make a difference.

Made sure Stereo Mix is disabled (this option was only available when using the on board audio, not seeing this option for the Xi-Fi card)

Listen to device disabled.

I've also tried 2 other headsets and issue still persists.

Is there something I can do within Windows 7 to disable this from happening?

More about : headset hear computer audio transmit

a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 1:56:37 PM

don't you know that you are not supposed to be playing music or playing games while talking to someone on Skype - didn't your little brother teach you anything about online etiquette!?

---

dude, it's a very simple concept - whatever the microphone pics up will be sent over the wire, it doesn't matter if it's your voice or audio coming from the speakers next to your monitor - Hello!!!
Score
September 19, 2012 2:02:10 PM

Ok, your not understanding. I'm not using speakers, there is no audio outside of the headset. Regardless of how far away the microphone is, if i transmit, people can hear what I am hearing through my headset.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 2:04:45 PM

exactly dude! you don't get it!

the headset speakers ARE the computer speakers When you have it plugged in!

---

its exactly the same as an A/V receiver that has a 1/4" headphone jack on the front - when you plug it in (on some) the speakers cut out (some have a switch that allows you to switch between both speakers/headset, but thats another story)

---

have you disabled the on-board audio from the BIOS?
Score
September 19, 2012 2:08:26 PM

Ok, but there is no audible sound bleeding out of the headset. So, with the headset on, I can hear audio, but someone standing right next to me will hear nothing. However, the Microphone is transmitting all audio coming from my PC, even if the Mic is located on the other side of the room.
Score
September 19, 2012 2:09:31 PM

Yep, on board audio has been disabled within the BIOS.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 2:28:42 PM

and these headsets/mics work normally on other computers?

u mentioned in ur OP that u tried other headsets with same issue

what if you remove the sound card, enable on-board in the BIOS - does the MB work as it should normally? and did this suddenly start happening after a program installation or lightning strike or power outage?
Score
September 19, 2012 2:39:08 PM

Motherboard works fine with the on board enabled and other card removed.

This all started when I bought a new headset (may or may not be relevant). The one I was using was starting to fall apart so I decided to get a new one. All I did was plug the new headset in, no drivers or anything.

Now that I come to think of it, I did run the windows microphone setup wizard, could that be the issue? If so, is there a way to reset this to default?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 2:49:13 PM

Have you tried restoring from a previous restore point? to before you ran the wizard...
Score
September 19, 2012 2:49:52 PM

I haven't tried that yet, will give it a try tonight and update this post.

Thanks.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:10:56 PM

This is a known issue with Sound Blaster type cards.
Score
September 19, 2012 3:16:20 PM

ahnilated said:
This is a known issue with Sound Blaster type cards.

The problem is, I'm getting the same issue using on board audio with the sound blaster completely removed.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:31:31 PM

what if you go into windows control panel/sound. see if headset is only thing enabled........... or if you can mute everything but the headset/mic.
Score
September 19, 2012 3:33:59 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what if you go into windows control panel/sound. see if headset is only thing enabled........... or if you can mute everything but the headset/mic.

Yeah I have tried that as well. I even right clicked to show everything, then made sure every option was disabled except the headset and mic.

I guess if it's not a Windows issue, then it has to be something the motherboard is doing.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:39:08 PM

been in the device manager lately or been to windows update ?

i know having too many sound drivers installed can have major problems.

what brand and how do the headphones plug in ?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:39:30 PM

dont know if it will help or not knowing it’s for a phone but try figuring the option in sounds > communication > mute all other sounds and give that a go.

Score
September 19, 2012 3:41:33 PM

Not touched Device manager, except after the problem to uninstall the sound blaster when I was trying that option. Windows is set to auto update but I haven't see any around the time the problem appeared (which was only 2 days ago).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:49:03 PM

auto update, so when you uninstall and reboot it installs what you just uninstalled ?........ you should try to disable auto updates and auto driver updates and disable everything except for the device that drives your head set.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 3:54:12 PM

Make sure with the Creative software that your microphone is selected for recording and not set as either 'what you hear" or 'stereo mix'.

Score
September 19, 2012 3:58:29 PM

boju said:
Make sure with the Creative software that your microphone is selected for recording and not set as either 'what you hear" or 'stereo mix'.

The 'what you hear" option is unchecked. I don't see a "stereo mix" option within the creative software, though not sure if they are both the same thing.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 4:03:54 PM

im guessing that might have been your problem since 'what you hear' option would give similar effect you’re having as it will record simultaneously any sound activity on your computer. Is it selected for using microphone only?
Score
September 19, 2012 4:08:56 PM

boju said:
im guessing that might have been your problem since 'what you hear' option would give similar effect you’re having as it will record simultaneously any sound activity on your computer. Is it selected for using microphone only?

The "What you hear" is unchecked though, so it's not using that feature, unless I'm missing something.

The main problem is why would it happen regardless of whether I use the Sound Blaster card, or the On Board, which makes me think it's something within Windows, since it's affecting both.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 4:15:57 PM

yea i understand what you’re saying, was hoping to give some ideas, anyhow did you try setting in communications to mute all sounds? Possibly that’s the operating system's version of what you hear option kinda thing.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 4:27:43 PM

Clansman2012 said:
Motherboard works fine with the on board enabled and other card removed.

Clansman2012 said:
The problem is, I'm getting the same issue using on board audio with the sound blaster completely removed.

Dude, WTF - you're talking out of both sides of your mouth!
Score
September 19, 2012 5:10:24 PM

dingo07 said:
Dude, WTF - you're talking out of both sides of your mouth!

Umm no, you asked does the motherboard work. Well yes the Motherboard works, but the audio problem is still there. If you read my initial post, you would have seen the following that i tried..

"Uninstalled all Creative software, removed card from computer and activated on board sound instead. "
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 19, 2012 5:46:44 PM

Clansman2012 said:
Umm no, you asked does the motherboard work. Well yes the Motherboard works, but the audio problem is still there. If you read my initial post, you would have seen the following that i tried..

"Uninstalled all Creative software, removed card from computer and activated on board sound instead. "

If you look in the motherboard manual, it should tell you who makes the onboard sound chip. Can you tell us that?
Score
September 19, 2012 5:57:49 PM

ahnilated said:
If you look in the motherboard manual, it should tell you who makes the onboard sound chip. Can you tell us that?

Not sure if this is what you need, but the manual shows what I also see in the product description:

VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
DTS Surround Sensation UltraPC
Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-Streaming, and Front Panel Jack-Retasking
Optical S/PDIF Out ports at back I/O
ASUS Noise Filtering

The driver I had installed was titled "VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.8300 for 32/64bit Windows XP & Windows Vista & Windows 7"
Score
January 17, 2013 5:12:25 AM

I love how most/all of these forums just come to an abrupt end with no resolution. Did you ever get your issue resolved?

Reason I ask is, (and I know this is a necro) because I have the same exact problem.

I'm running Windows 7
Sound Blaster X-Fi
Logitech desktop mic
Same kind of headset (no attached mic)

When I am transmitting voice online, everyone hears the sounds from my computer and if I'm talking during those sounds, it turns to completely loud/annoying static.

Even with my mic unplugged, I hit the 'talk' button and they still hear all of my sounds in-game.

I've tried every setting and searched hours online and can not find a solution!
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 12:53:51 PM

This is a problem with the sound blaster type cards and is well known on the web. The only real way to fix it is to get off of their cards.
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 9:54:45 PM

Best answer selected by Brett928S2.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 9:54:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!