Changing DVD writer cover plates

savejs

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
07:23 PM
Changing cover on DVD drive

Hi. How do you change the cover on LiteOn DVD drives? ie I want to replace my E-machines silver/grey drive with a newer one. To match the case, I need to take the silver/grey cover off of the old DVD drive and put in on the new one. Can it be done and if so how?
Thanks

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Well, I've got the Lite-On dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive. About to change the cover tonight (got a new black case)... I'll let you know if I encounter any problems. From looking at the spare bezel, it looks like the drive tray and surround covers are each held in place with two spring clips. Should be pretty straightdorward!

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Changed the front bezel last night - it was very easy.

The drive tray face simply slides vertically up off the tray itself (it's held in place by a couple of click tabs, but these don't need much effort to release.

The face of the surrounding bezel is a little trickier, but not much. It's held in place by three click tabs - one on each side, and one on the bottom (IIRC). A small flat-head screwdriver helped me here!

One point to note - the tray cover prevents the bezel cover coming off if the tray is in the drive - make sure the tray is out when you try to swap the cover!

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Nice post.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>