Sign in with
Your question

not sure what monitor. i'm not clear, unsure what to choose

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 4, 2008 9:17:40 AM

hey guys, i'm working on my wishlist. first of all, i have a 21" crt monitor. i dont plan using it again! I really want a LCD 24" monitor with my new upcoming rig that i'd be building soon (hopefully). I'm very unsure what to choose and what to go for. I was told that EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express card probably wont run very well on a large monitor such as 24". i'm not sure why, they said the resolution is high. i thought greater resolution = better picture. (maybe i was told wrong or i'm wrong. i'm not sure.) with helps would be awsome.

I was looking at this monitor 24" acer 2ms, with high contrast with something like 4000:1 or something with high resolution like 1920x1200 i think. i'm not so sure, because the monitor i've been looking at... newegg got rid of it. I have no clue why! Anyways, any one have comments? can this video card run good on 24" monitor with high MS , high ratio ie 3000:1 and high resolution. IF you need more info about specs. here it is.

c2q q6600 go stepping
ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C PSU
G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel

Any inputs would be great. thanks!

PS: basically what i'm asking, is can i get a 24" and use it just fine with what i have for spec? i really perfer not to get any size less than 24...
January 4, 2008 11:10:35 AM

The new 512MB G92 GTS is about as good as it gets... The only thing better is the 8800GTX or the Ultra for about $800. You could probably do some kind of SLI configuration with two 8800GT's or even GTS's and be fine though.
January 7, 2008 5:22:29 AM

It all depends what you want to do with your computer. Any modern videocard will have no problem running a 24" panel for standard tasks like internet browsing, word processing etc. Where you need a more powerful videocard is if you want to play games.

In that case, the 8800GTS is basically as good as it gets for a single card. If you really want to max out the latest games like crysis on a 24" panel, you'll need to think about buying two cards and running them in SLI.

The main thing though, is you'll want to make sure whatever card you buy has at least 512MB of memory on it. At resolutions of 1920x1440 and above, this becomes very important for good performance in games.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 10:52:00 PM

Whenever you see a contrast ratio like 4000:1 it's a "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" and to an extent an exaggerated spec. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_contrast_ratio for more information. Also I wouldn't put a panel with 2ms response time above one with 8ms on response time alone. This spec is often exaggerated by manufactures.

This link might give you some other ideas for LCDs to consider:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y
a b C Monitor
January 8, 2008 4:02:44 AM

Panels with response times less than 5ms and/or with viewable angles of less than 170 degrees use TN technology.

The only real downside to TN is that it's 6-bit color per channel whereas MVA and IPS are 8 bit per channel.

Also that 2ms time is when changing between gray and gray (the same color) black to white response times can be as high as 25ms. Bottom line is that "response time" is more or less meaningless.
!