Changing Hard Drives

I Just purchased a new (retail) Western Digital 120GB HD. Existing HD is a 60
GB drive. The software that came with the new HD indicates an option to
transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I understand
all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking up the
cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software that WD
has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it transfer
everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my personal
files ? and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the old
operating system ?

I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like to
make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding. Thanks
for your information and help.

Redwagon....
9 answers Last reply
More about changing hard drives

    "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I Just purchased a new (retail) Western Digital 120GB HD. Existing HD is a
    >60
    > GB drive. The software that came with the new HD indicates an option to
    > transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I
    > understand
    > all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking up
    > the
    > cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software that
    > WD
    > has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it
    > transfer
    > everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my personal
    > files ?

    It would "clone" the old drive, byte-for-byte.

    > and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the old
    > operating system ?

    No, it would still be on the old drive also. You could theoretically boot
    either one using the BIOS to change the boot sequence or else use a boot
    manager.

    > I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like to
    > make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding.
    > Thanks
    > for your information and help.

    Once you do the process you will likely have half (60gb) of the new drive
    unpartitioned, the software tutorial will guide you through partitioning and
    formatting this space for use using Windows Disk Management. You could also
    resize the partition using some software, but that probably not be the
    wisest course anyway.

    Lee

    And I'm going to beat this to death.
    Copy using the WD program from bootable removable media. REMOVE the
    original hard drive. Install the new hard drive as the master.
    AFTER you've done this and booted off the new hard drive, you may reinstall
    the old hard drive as slave or whatever.
    Don't forget the pin configurations for WD include either a master/alone and
    master w/slave. Separate pinout options. Not the same things.

    It should not be necessary to modify any bios settings for any ide connected
    devices. Nor, will I confuse you with a boot manager. You don't sound
    ready for that.

    wdc.com support offers many insights on use of the copying software you are
    referencing. The software, when installed to XP, also offers many help
    references. This is the windows version, but not used for cloning a hard
    drive containing XP..

    "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I Just purchased a new (retail) Western Digital 120GB HD. Existing HD is a
    60
    > GB drive. The software that came with the new HD indicates an option to
    > transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I
    understand
    > all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking up
    the
    > cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software that
    WD
    > has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it
    transfer
    > everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my personal
    > files ? and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the old
    > operating system ?
    >
    > I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like to
    > make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding.
    Thanks
    > for your information and help.
    >
    > Redwagon....

    Hey Lee, I'm not sure what you said about the new drive having half of it's
    capacity not being partitioned. After reading the WD software instructions,
    one is supposed to format the new drive first, then do the change of
    operating system, files etc. Also, they suggest that the old drive should be
    defrag'ed and a scandsk completed prior to doing the exchange. Anyway, if one
    formats the new drive then I would assume that all of it's capacitry would be
    available. Can you explain your comment a little more.

    Lil'Dave: Hardware wise, I build around a dozen custom computers each year
    for others and although I have asked a "beat-to-death" question regarding
    WD's software, please don't assume other things I don't have the smarts for.
    I thank you for your suggestions however. By the way, I do understand the
    "boot manager". I just have questions about WD's software, O.K. ?

    Thanks all.....
    Redwagon

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

    > And I'm going to beat this to death.
    > Copy using the WD program from bootable removable media. REMOVE the
    > original hard drive. Install the new hard drive as the master.
    > AFTER you've done this and booted off the new hard drive, you may reinstall
    > the old hard drive as slave or whatever.
    > Don't forget the pin configurations for WD include either a master/alone and
    > master w/slave. Separate pinout options. Not the same things.
    >
    > It should not be necessary to modify any bios settings for any ide connected
    > devices. Nor, will I confuse you with a boot manager. You don't sound
    > ready for that.
    >
    > wdc.com support offers many insights on use of the copying software you are
    > referencing. The software, when installed to XP, also offers many help
    > references. This is the windows version, but not used for cloning a hard
    > drive containing XP..
    >
    > "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I Just purchased a new (retail) Western Digital 120GB HD. Existing HD is a
    > 60
    > > GB drive. The software that came with the new HD indicates an option to
    > > transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I
    > understand
    > > all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking up
    > the
    > > cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software that
    > WD
    > > has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it
    > transfer
    > > everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my personal
    > > files ? and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the old
    > > operating system ?
    > >
    > > I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like to
    > > make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding.
    > Thanks
    > > for your information and help.
    > >
    > > Redwagon....

    Unless your current C: drive has a problem, leave it as is and install the
    new drive as a data drive, i.e. some drive other than C: will be assigned
    when set to slave. You can store data on it and install programs on it.

    All my computers have at least two hard drives: one system one or more data.
    Data is mostly for backups and file security and storage of extremely large
    media files.

    If you want to make the 120GB drive the system drive (C:) bite the bullet
    and just set it as master (old C: to slave) and do a full Windows and
    programs re-install to it. I'd leave the old 60GB drive totally isolated
    until the new C: was completely done then hook it up as slave. The old C:
    drive will be given a new drive letter. All your data files will still be
    present, you can simply delete the windows directory, and then copy all your
    data files back to your new C:.

    There are certainly more techy solutions, but format and reinstall Windows
    has always served me best. Takes time, but hey.....Windows is Windows.

    "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> adds...
    > And I'm going to beat this to death.
    > Copy using the WD program from bootable removable media. REMOVE the
    > original hard drive. Install the new hard drive as the master.
    > AFTER you've done this and booted off the new hard drive, you may
    > reinstall
    > the old hard drive as slave or whatever.
    > Don't forget the pin configurations for WD include either a master/alone
    > and
    > master w/slave. Separate pinout options. Not the same things.

    REDWAGON:
    The information provided by Lee Chapelle is basically correct in that
    whatever data is presently on your source disk (the old disk that you will
    be cloning) will remain after the cloning operation. And, as he states, the
    new drive will be an exact (for all practical purposes) duplicate of the old
    one.

    However, his comment re unpartitioned disk space on the destination drive
    following the cloning operation needs to be modified. In cloning the
    contents of your 60 GB drive to the 120 GB one, the WD program will allow
    you to select an option that creates a partition on the destination drive
    encompassing its full disk capacity. So unless you've selected an option to
    manually resize the destination drive partitions, the 120 GB drive will
    contain a single partition that includes its entire disk space. Thus,
    (unless you choose otherwise) there will be *no* unallocated space on the
    120 GB drive to partition/format following the cloning operation

    Lil' Dave's suggestion that you immediately boot to the newly-cloned drive
    AFTER disconnecting the old drive is a good one. For one thing, you
    obviously want to ensure that the clone "took". And the major disk imaging
    companies like Symantec & Acronis recommend this course of action. As a
    matter of fact they recommend that only one bootable drive be connected
    during normal operations because they see a potential for system files
    corruption of one sort or another when two bootable drives are connected.
    Frankly, (with a couple of minor exceptions) I've never run into a problem
    along those lines but I generally work with two removable drives so that one
    of them is ordinarily disconnected except during the cloning (disk imaging)
    operation that we routinely use for backup purposes. But it *is* a good idea
    that when you *first* boot to your new drive following the cloning
    operation, you make sure your old drive has been disconnected.

    You haven't said, but possibly you'll be using your old drive as a backup
    drive. Now that you've had some experience with "cloning" a drive, you may
    want to consider a disk imaging program such as Symantec's Norton Ghost or
    Acronis True Image for routine cloning of your new working drive for backup
    purposes. While in theory you could use the WD utility that you initially
    used to clone the contents of the old drive to the new one, its cloning
    speed is extremely (painfully!) slow and really not practical for routine
    disk imaging for backup purposes.

    Actually, for better security it would be best if the backup drive be a
    USB/Firewire external hard drive, so you might want to consider installing
    your old drive in a USB/Firewire EHD enclosure.
    Anna

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote
    > "Lee Chapelle" <no@email.please> wrote

    >> Once you do the process you will likely have half (60gb) of the new drive
    >> unpartitioned, the software tutorial will guide you through partitioning
    >> and formatting this space for use using Windows Disk Management. You
    >> could also resize the partition using some software, but that probably
    >> not be the wisest course anyway.

    > REDWAGON:
    > The information provided by Lee Chapelle is basically correct in that
    > whatever data is presently on your source disk (the old disk that you will
    > be cloning) will remain after the cloning operation. And, as he states,
    > the new drive will be an exact (for all practical purposes) duplicate of
    > the old one.
    >
    > However, his comment re unpartitioned disk space on the destination drive
    > following the cloning operation needs to be modified. In cloning the
    > contents of your 60 GB drive to the 120 GB one, the WD program will allow
    > you to select an option that creates a partition on the destination drive
    > encompassing its full disk capacity.

    Thanks for that Anna, I have never used the WD software so I was not aware
    of that function, which is why I said "likely".

    > So unless you've selected an option to manually resize the destination
    > drive partitions, the 120 GB drive will contain a single partition that
    > includes its entire disk space. Thus, (unless you choose otherwise) there
    > will be *no* unallocated space on the 120 GB drive to partition/format
    > following the cloning operation.

    This might be a good spot for a debate on the pros and cons of both options.
    I would cast my vote in favour of 2 60GB partitions over one 120GB one, as I
    prefer to separate system/storage as much as possible. That way c:\system
    partition can be imaged to d:\storage as a quick backup.

    > Hey Lee, I'm not sure what you said about the new drive having half of
    > it's
    > capacity not being partitioned. After reading the WD software
    > instructions,
    > one is supposed to format the new drive first, then do the change of
    > operating system, files etc. Also, they suggest that the old drive should
    > be
    > defrag'ed and a scandsk completed prior to doing the exchange. Anyway, if
    > one
    > formats the new drive then I would assume that all of it's capacitry would
    > be
    > available. Can you explain your comment a little more.

    I am accustomed to software that transfers an image of the existing
    partition byte-for-byte into unpartitioned free space on the target disk,
    which means in the end it would be the same size as the original. In this
    case I defer to others who know more about the particulars of WD software.
    Good luck..

    Lee

    > Lil'Dave: Hardware wise, I build around a dozen custom computers each year
    > for others and although I have asked a "beat-to-death" question regarding
    > WD's software, please don't assume other things I don't have the smarts
    > for.
    > I thank you for your suggestions however. By the way, I do understand the
    > "boot manager". I just have questions about WD's software, O.K. ?
    >
    > Thanks all.....
    > Redwagon
    >

    > "Lil' Dave" wrote:
    >
    >> And I'm going to beat this to death.
    >> Copy using the WD program from bootable removable media. REMOVE the
    >> original hard drive. Install the new hard drive as the master.
    >> AFTER you've done this and booted off the new hard drive, you may
    >> reinstall
    >> the old hard drive as slave or whatever.
    >> Don't forget the pin configurations for WD include either a master/alone
    >> and
    >> master w/slave. Separate pinout options. Not the same things.
    >>
    >> It should not be necessary to modify any bios settings for any ide
    >> connected
    >> devices. Nor, will I confuse you with a boot manager. You don't sound
    >> ready for that.
    >>
    >> wdc.com support offers many insights on use of the copying software you
    >> are
    >> referencing. The software, when installed to XP, also offers many help
    >> references. This is the windows version, but not used for cloning a hard
    >> drive containing XP..
    >>
    >> "REDWAGON" <REDWAGON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I Just purchased a new (retail) Western Digital 120GB HD. Existing HD
    >> > is a
    >> 60
    >> > GB drive. The software that came with the new HD indicates an option to
    >> > transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I
    >> understand
    >> > all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking
    >> > up
    >> the
    >> > cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software
    >> > that
    >> WD
    >> > has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it
    >> transfer
    >> > everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my
    >> > personal
    >> > files ? and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the old
    >> > operating system ?
    >> >
    >> > I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like
    >> > make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding.
    >> Thanks
    >> > for your information and help.
    >> >
    >> > Redwagon....

    Thanks again everyone for all your comments. Especially Anna's. Your
    suggestions and information sounds like you really know the WD software, and
    that's really what I was wanting to know. There are, I realize, several
    different configurations that be used here and they are all pretty valid in
    my opinion. Actually, what I have in mind is to use the new 120GB WD drive as
    my primary C:\ root drive, the old 60GB drive as a primary drive for a
    completely different computer I am building for a friend, and another 80GB
    drive I have for use as the slave drive in conjunction with the new 120Gb
    drive.

    For anyone else planning on using the WD software to transfer there XP
    operating system to a new drive, I really suggest they read the comments in
    this post. I have really benefited by all your comments and thanks again. And
    Anna, thanks especially to you. After I finish all my chores, I will
    hopefully get back to another post and comment on all I did and found out.

    Cheers all.
    Redwagon........

    "Doug Glass" wrote:

> [...]

    > > > transfer all of the system from the old drive to the new drive. I
    > > understand
    > > > all of the pin settings required when doing this transfer and hooking
    up
    > > the
    > > > cables correctly, no problem. My question is: When using the software
    that
    > > WD
    > > > has to do this transfer from the old drive to the new one, does it
    > > transfer
    > > > everything including the operating system (XP Home) and all of my
    personal
    > > > files ? and after the transfer, is the old drive void of any of the
    old
    > > > operating system ?
    > > >
    > > > I know this subject has been beaten to death by others but would like
    > > > make sure everything goes the way I expect it will before proceeding.

    You got it backwards.
    Forgive me for NOT assuming you were familiar with something, rather than
    assuming.
    I can't win either way, don't assume or assume, not knowing the person on
    the other end. Can I?

    You may have to open the repair console after the clone and rebooting to the
    new drive. Repair the boot sector.

    Since assuming is allowed, I'll go further. Imaging and restoring that
    image to the new drive is faster, safer, and more dependable. You have to
    use imaging software that works with XP. As opposed to free cloning
    software you've chosen.

Western Digital Hard Drives Windows XP