CPU Fan for Dimension 8200

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim

Jim,

The cooling fan affixed to the back of the Dell chassis has a proprietary 3-pin
connector. At the $14.95 price Dell Parts (tel: 1800-357-3355) charges for a
replacement, why mess around? What you will receive is an entire assembly
consisting of fan, mounting bracket and green shroud.

Open up the case of your 8200 and look for the part number on the green shroud.
It will be something like "CN-0D1592-70821-44E-A0KB". The part number to order
in this case would be "D1592". Shipping via slow Airborne Express is free, or
you can pay another $6.95 for priority shipping. Add sales tax for the state
where you live.

The 8200 ought to use the same fan assembly as the later Dell 8000 series boxes.
If Dell Parts does not have the part for your 8200 and they cannot
cross-reference it to a newer compatible part, order the D1592. The plastic is
different, but the fan is the same, and all you really need is the fan... Ben
Myers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:09:09 -0500, "Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net>
wrote:

>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
>replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>Jim

Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan, you'll
have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start the
system.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

>Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan, you'll
>have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start the
>system.

Edward,
Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm looking
into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which is
supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan failure"
message on each bootup.
Charlie

>"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
>> replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Jim

Charliec

The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
from the motherboard connector. If you don't want to deal with the error
message and still use a Zalman fan, be prepared to graft the Dell connector onto
the Zalman fan, do a little bit of soldering and use some electrical tape.
Also, be extra careful removing the Dell fan from the four rubber grommets which
hold the fan onto its plastic adapter and dampen the vibration caused by the
fan.

Or maybe Zalman or some other aftermarket fan manufacturer has a fan with a
connector compatible with Dell? ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:13:15 GMT, Charliec <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote:

>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan, you'll
>>have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start the
>>system.
>
>Edward,
>Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm looking
>into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which is
>supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan failure"
>message on each bootup.
>Charlie
>

>>"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
>>> replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Jim

>Charliec

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:414c7aef.15852598@news.charter.net...
> The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
> Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
> error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
> from the motherboard connector.

Are you sure that is how the sensing works? I ask because I have read
discussions about fan RPM monitoring, and these lead me to believe that
many fans drive the third, RPM sense wire with digital pulses, with one or
more pulses per fan revolution. The period of those pulses is measured
via an LM79 or whatever, and if it is too long (indicating low or no RPM),
appropriate action is taken.

Your explanation is technically more accurate than mine... Ben

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:30:50 -0400, "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote:

><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message news:414c7aef.15852598@news.charter.net...
>> The typical Dell cooling fan attached to the back of a Dell chassis has a
>> Dell-proprietary 3-pin connector to the motherboard. The "fan failure" bootup
>> error is displayed by the Dell BIOS if it does not sense enough current flowing
>> from the motherboard connector.
>
>Are you sure that is how the sensing works? I ask because I have read
>discussions about fan RPM monitoring, and these lead me to believe that
>many fans drive the third, RPM sense wire with digital pulses, with one or
>more pulses per fan revolution. The period of those pulses is measured
>via an LM79 or whatever, and if it is too long (indicating low or no RPM),
>appropriate action is taken.

Yep.
--
Steve

"Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan,
you'll
> >have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start
the
> >system.
>
> Edward,
> Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
looking
> into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
is
> supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
failure"
> message on each bootup.
> Charlie
>

> >"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
> >>I have a Dimension 8200 with a Pentium 4 2.8 Gig processor. Need a
> >> replacement for the fan that cools the processor -- any
suggestions?

> >> Thanks!
> >> Jim

Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
"quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...

AK

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message news:<41519a64_7@corp.newsgroups.com>...
> Yep.
> --
> Steve
>
> "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message
> > "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Call Dell and ask for spare parts. If you use other than an OEM fan,
> you'll
> > >have to live with a "fan failure" bootup error each time you start
> the
> > >system.
> >
> > Edward,
> > Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
> looking
> > into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
> is
> > supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
> failure"
> > message on each bootup.
> > Charlie
> >

> > >"Jim Fell" <jameshfell@removecharter.net> wrote in message
> suggestions?

FYI,
I have a SilenX fan (the quietest I've ever (not) heard) connected to the
motherboard on my 8300 (switched out the connector as described below), and
I get no bootup error message. Also have added two more (one Silenx and on
Papst) fans to assist with cooling, both connected to the power supply.
Ultra quiet now, even when gaming, and cooler than before when it had the
single loud Datech fan.
GB

"Adam K." <abigkahuna@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
> units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
> "quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
> have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
> different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
> and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
> burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
> had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
> quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...
>
> AK
>

> "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> > Yep.
> > --
> > Steve
> >
> > "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

> > you'll
> > the
> > >
> > > Edward,
> > > Does that happen with all replacement fans for Dell Computers. I'm
> > looking
> > > into replacing my noisy Dell 8300 CPU fan with one from Zalman which
> > is
> > > supposed to be much quieter. Would not want to have that "fan
> > failure"
> > > message on each bootup.
> > > Charlie

> > suggestions?

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Thanks Gajejean!

I'm ordering today. I will post back with results for the fan selected
and a new Dell 4600 p4/2.8ghz/800mhz fsb/HT.

AK.

"Gajejean" <garbauc@nospamxearthlink.net> wrote in message news:<8Z%8d.6685$Vm1.3434@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> FYI,
> I have a SilenX fan (the quietest I've ever (not) heard) connected to the
> motherboard on my 8300 (switched out the connector as described below), and
> I get no bootup error message. Also have added two more (one Silenx and on
> Papst) fans to assist with cooling, both connected to the power supply.
> Ultra quiet now, even when gaming, and cooler than before when it had the
> single loud Datech fan.
> GB
>
> "Adam K." <abigkahuna@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> > Yep, Dell managed to frag the aftermarket fan folks. The older Dell
> > units had the standard 3 pin connector and sensing logic. Aftermarket
> > "quiet-fans" would work just fine. Some of the newer Dell motherboards
> > have a proprietary connector (also 3 pin - different plug shape) and
> > different sensing logic. If you trade connectors (needle nose pliers
> > and a pin to release each wire) the fan will work but the BIOS will
> > burp at you. The aftermarket vendors have not yet caught on... I just
> > had a conversation with a sales person from a company that sells ultra
> > quiet fans and he had no clue to what I was asking. In time...
> >
> > AK
> >

> > "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> > > Yep.
> > > --
> > > Steve
> > >
> > > "Charliec" <charliec@invalid.address.com> wrote in message

> you'll
> the

> looking
> is
> failure"

> suggestions?

> > > http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> > > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

This is my pathetic conversation regarding fan noise with DELL
They were of NO help at all.
FYI
4:11:37 PM System System
You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
4:11:37 PM System System
Connected with Jerome Dominic E
4:11:42 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Welcome to Dell US Chat! My name is Jerome Dominic and I will be your Dell.com Sales Chat Expert. I can be reached at us_con_sl_apos_chat@dell.com or via phone at 1-800-289-3355 ext. 7284516. How can I help you today?
4:12:36 PM Customer jIM
Hi Jerome,
4:12:45 PM Customer jIM
I am upset.
4:13:19 PM Customer jIM
I have been on the phone with DELL for nearly and hour now and am still on the phone.
4:13:41 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
I'll be glad to assist you on that.
4:13:55 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
may I know the problem Jim?ill do my best to help you
4:14:05 PM Customer jIM
I am looking for a fan to fix my Dimension 8200 not the cpu fan but the box fan
4:14:40 PM Customer jIM
part number BG0702=B043-POS
4:15:16 PM Customer jIM
THE fan is making a terrible noise. bearings are going out
4:15:48 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
let me help you with that
4:15:59 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
please give me a minute or two to check for a replacement one
4:16:24 PM Customer jIM
thanks
4:16:59 PM Customer jIM
this should be a replaceable 4pin replacement fan Not 3 pin
4:17:36 PM Customer jIM
it is a specific DELL part and cannot be replaced by third party fan. why would they do this?
4:17:44 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
we have here a replacement Fan & Shroud Assembly
4:18:02 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
please let me check if we have in stock
4:18:07 PM Customer jIM
nope you are seeing the same fan as your parts department.
4:18:23 PM Customer jIM
There is another fan that is NOT cpu related.
4:18:35 PM Customer jIM
no shroud, that is for cpu
4:19:11 PM Customer jIM
this is the centrifugal fan 12v .21a about 70mmx25mm
4:19:28 PM Customer jIM
made by Minebea
4:19:45 PM Customer jIM
This cools the circuit boards
4:20:19 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
ok, let me check if we have that one
4:20:27 PM Customer jIM
it is mounted in the back of the box and also sends temp readings to the computer.
4:21:06 PM Customer jIM
if it didnt sent info back i could probably just aftermarket a fix but this is a DELL specific part
4:21:33 PM Customer jIM
Shurly you have heard of this noise issue and failure with the Dimension computer.
4:21:43 PM Customer jIM
it is all over the DELL chat board
4:22:08 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Thank you for waiting Jim
4:22:12 PM Customer jIM
please help!
4:22:18 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
I do apologize however as per checking
4:22:21 PM Customer jIM
I really like this computer
4:22:28 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
we dont have the said item
4:22:28 PM Customer jIM
thanks
4:22:54 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Here's what I can do for you though, I will be sending an email to our warehouse for that part. they usually respond within 24-48 hours if the part is available or not and will schedule you for a callback just to provide a feedback.
4:23:04 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
or email notification
4:23:06 PM Customer jIM
someone, maybe ione of your gurus there knows what i should doi
4:24:15 PM Customer jIM
ok your parts guys could call me maybe you cand send this correspondence too. my phone 559-645-xxx
4:24:42 PM Customer jIM
i am sure these guys know of this issue
4:25:09 PM Customer jIM
part BG0702-B043-POS
4:25:14 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Thank you for understanding Jim
4:25:50 PM Customer jIM
ok Jerome please send them this to can you
4:26:18 PM Customer jIM
this discussion goes a long way to understanding what i am after
4:26:27 PM Customer jIM
casn you
4:26:35 PM Customer jIM
can you do that
4:27:09 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
I do apologize we cannot send the email to them,what can we do is to update them to the item you need
4:27:32 PM Customer jIM
im depressed
4:27:49 PM Customer jIM
is there someone at your parts department i can talk with
4:28:08 PM Customer jIM
this is a problem with a lot of Dimension models
4:28:49 PM Customer jIM
My investigating this fix has consumed more than 5 hours today
4:29:21 PM Customer jIM
just a simple little proprietary fan what a waist of a day
4:30:08 PM Customer jIM
i remain hopeful your suggestion will wok ...but you know
4:30:15 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Im sorry Jim, the sysem that you have is one of the pioneer systems we have that why
4:30:25 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
I understand you completely
4:30:46 PM Customer jIM
Ya Im a Pioneer all right
4:31:07 PM Customer jIM
Well i am looking at new computers
4:31:37 PM Customer jIM
Fixing the fan will go a long way in my decicision to by DELL again
4:32:29 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
Sorry for the disappointment..
4:32:34 PM Customer jIM
Ok I gues this Pilgrim is headed into the sunset
4:32:42 PM Agent Jerome Dominic E
I can make out why you feel like that
4:32:42 PM Customer jIM
thanks