Slowdown on viewing desktop

This problem seems to be a little peculiar, I have not experienced it in the
3+ years I have been using windows xp so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

The problem exhibits itself only when i am opening/saving any document on
desktop. It takes >10 sometimes up to a minute to open a
document/picture/anything located on my desktop folder. Whether I open the
document/picture from the desktop or the desktop folder
(c:\document..\user..\desktop\) does not matter. Both are equally slow.

The slowdown also exhibits itself upon saving anything on desktop. It is
equally slow for the "save to desktop" dialog box to open. After the dialog
box opens there is no problem, everything happens at normal speed.

One more thing there is no problem on displaying the dialog box. the frame
of the dialog box is drawn on screen, but it takes a long time to display the
contents of the desktop folder.

there are only my X icons and some picture files on the desktop. no
intricate, large folders, files nothing whatsoever.

I am running windows xp sp2 and all critical updates (as of 17 july). My
computer is a dell inspiron 6000 laptop. Pentium m 1.6ghz, ati radeon x300
w/64 mb ram, hdd w/ plenty of space.

automatic updates, system restore and indexing service are on.

?

kelly

I have used the Desktop for saving for more years than I can think of. More
info needed.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Kelly" wrote:

> I have used the Desktop for saving for more years than I can think of. More
> info needed.

Yes, me too. This problem exhibits itself on this new computer i bought
about two months ago, there was no such problem with the previous computers.
Because the problem is repeatable on all installed programs my guess is that
it is a problem with windows but who knows.

so, here again is how it goes. i hope this explanation is clearer.
in the iexplore, i open http://www.microsoft.com/
click on the file menu and click save as
save to dialog box opens, showing my documents folder
on the left pane (locations pane) i click on the desktop icon.**this is
where the annoyance begins**
i wait (this time around 30 seconds, but sometimes more than a minute)
finally the contents of the desktop folder is shown and i can click on the
save button.

this lag on viewing desktop persists on all programs. from irfanview to ms
word. when i try to open or save a document on desktop, the program stops
responding for 20-60 seconds and then spits out the necessary dialog box/file.

i have deleted temporary files and iexplore cache, stopped the antivirus
program and defragged the harddrive. nothing changed.

this is a strange behaviour and more of an annoyance really. i used to save
everything on the desktop and then sorted things out. i think i ought to make
a designated folder for downloads and change some hard disk organization
habits