MN-740 Netgear 814 no workie

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I cannot get my newly purchased MN-740 adapter to
sucessfully keep connected to my Netgear wireless
router. I have turned off any WEP encryption, MAC
filtering etc. I have updated both the router and MN-
740 to latest firmware. In the Xbox dashboard, it
connects for about 6 seconds, then says Not Connected.
The wireless light blinks most of the time, then stays on
for about 6 seconds then starts blinking again. For the
short time it is connected, it says the name of the
wireless gateway, speed 11.0Mbps, and Strength of
excellent.

joker

Is it a 802.11b or 802.11g router that you are trying to connect to?

Bob wrote:

> I cannot get my newly purchased MN-740 adapter to
> sucessfully keep connected to my Netgear wireless
> router. I have turned off any WEP encryption, MAC
> filtering etc. I have updated both the router and MN-
> 740 to latest firmware. In the Xbox dashboard, it
> connects for about 6 seconds, then says Not Connected.
> The wireless light blinks most of the time, then stays on
> for about 6 seconds then starts blinking again. For the
> short time it is connected, it says the name of the
> wireless gateway, speed 11.0Mbps, and Strength of
> excellent.

It is an 802.11b router. 11Mb max. The guide seems to
say it is compatible with both b and G.

joker

Make sure the MN-740 is set to be able to connect to a "b" device. I'm
not exactly sure how to do that though.

> It is an 802.11b router. 11Mb max. The guide seems to
> say it is compatible with both b and G.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I was on the phone with Microsoft over an hour and a half
yesterday. They have no idea what the problem is. There
is an "advanced" screen on the XBOX under Networking. In
there you see it make the connection, then loose it.
Whenever it connects, it does say its 802.11b, 11Mbits,
Excellect connection, then it drops.
Today I'm going to try an Ad-Hoc with a laptop to see if
it will connect to anything.
b.a.

joker

You might try different channels then the one you are using. One other
thing is it might be that your router isn't compatible with Xbox Live.

Bob wrote:

> I was on the phone with Microsoft over an hour and a half
> yesterday. They have no idea what the problem is. There
> is an "advanced" screen on the XBOX under Networking. In
> there you see it make the connection, then loose it.
> Whenever it connects, it does say its 802.11b, 11Mbits,
> Excellect connection, then it drops.
> Today I'm going to try an Ad-Hoc with a laptop to see if
> it will connect to anything.
> b.a.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have tried different channels, I have another Xbox
upstairs plugged directly into the Ethernet hub, going
through the same router to the internet, and Live works
fine on that one. The problem is it keeps dropping
connection to the router, not connection to the
internet. I don't even get to the internet.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I took the MN-740 back to the store, and replaced it with
the D-Link DWL-810+. It works perfect! Not only does it
connect to Xbox Live without problems, it allows system
link games between the wireless Xbox downstairs, and the
wired Xbox upstairs (something that hasn't worked with
any of the other wireless bridges I have tried).
Sorry Microsoft.

Cs

Hi Bob:

Well, you win some and then you lose some....<g> I have had bad luck with
D-Link including a wireless kit
I purchased about two months ago. After several frustrating hours of
trying to set it up and when I finally got
everything to work, the signal was of such poor quality as to be unusable.
Took it back for a refund.

The MS kit worked out of the box. No fuss, no muss, no cuss. I'm not a
gamer BTW, just sharing an internet connection
between a desktop and notebook in different parts of my home. Glad things
have worked well for you. Have fun.

Regards.