FPS Stutters driving me crazy for months!!!

lovelord666

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I have a 5970HD ATi
12GB RAM
Intel Core I7 3.2 extreme edition (cooled by a Coolermaster v8)
Windows 7 64 Bit
Power supply is Gigabyte around 500 or 600 Watts

I played goddamn Crysis in 60 FPS minimum and this game with an ass for graphics and with its cardboard physics Can't keep up with some piss poor 30 FPS.

The FPS is incredibly inconsistent. Maximum reaches up to 50 FPS and keeps jolly jumping around 17 and 30 frames and my nerves especially when theres an enemy on my cross hairs.

How many goddamn patches am I going to be waiting for to play my game and for you guys to stop and count my money later?

Now after Battlefield 3. This issue seems to happen on every other game now. I just played Borderlands 2. And the frames in some places stay around 20 but then 100.

What are some main faults why theres FPS stutters or inconsistent FPS in general about games?

MotoX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
As a game developer, I can tell you that one of the main causes of FPS inconsistency is scene complexity. Generally the more objects you need to render per frame, the longer it takes to render per frame. Also, the more complex the object, the more time it takes to render. If you look up at the sky, and all there is to render is a few polygons of a skybox and the sky texture, you will get high FPS. But if you look straight at huge buildings, structures, player models, etc., your frame rate will instantly drop. Also, after effects, anti-aliasing, and other additions to the scene can do the same.

You don't have the best graphics card in the world. So you might want to reduce your graphics settings in your games. Not all games are created equal so you need to tune your graphics settings until you get a solid FPS through simple and complex scenes.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

This.^^

In short, framerate changes because the strain on your GPU changes, depending on what your looking at.

With graphic cards and user expectations evolving, developers tend to make things prettier to they eye. Which in turn means adding more polygons to models to make them more detailed. Using more effects like smoke, fire ... particle stuff, (complex) shadows, high resolution textures and so on.

All this has to be handled by your GPU. Go figure. ;)

i would start with the simple stuff, open up ccc and default the settings. Just make sure you didn't make a change that may be affecting performance.

post your motherboard please- you did put the 5970 into a pcie x16 slot, correct?

double check youre psu rating
■650 Watt or greater power supply one 75W 6-pin and one 150W 8-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (850 Watt with two 75W 6-pin and two 150W 8-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 Graphics site

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Simple, really. The polygons/particles/textures that you can't see (I.E, hidden behind something, like a house) are not being rendered, so your GPU load is minimal. But when you go around the house and see everything that was being culled, it's like your getting a major stutter, as the FPS suddenly plummets.

Only thing I can suggest is having an FPS clamp. There is a d3d9.dll file kicking around that can enable that.

wow, my virgin ears.............. dude, relax.

as far as the hardware goes......... polygon this, polygon that. I played this game with lesser hardware than his with no problems what-so-ever.

disable motion blur after you let the game find optimized settings........ see crysis' conntol panel for that. What happens ?

ah, other games too.......... go into the CCC and look over your game settings. Don't select anything at the moment other than "let game decide" or "application settings" and save it. try running games now.

if you're still having problems, disable tessellation if available and turn back shadow quality.

didn't mention res or monitor but make sure the refresh rate is what it's supposed to be. that will cause many headaches.

lovelord666

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

That would be a scam. Today gaming is stuck in 2006 because of console hardware. The PS3 has like a crappy 250MB Chipset of a GPU and it leads gamings technology. Yet you're saying my 5970HD is not enough?

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Wrong. 1080p PC gaming = higher draw distance, higher textures and assets, much better shadows and AA/AF options even in a half-decent console port. Your 5970 has run out of puff. You can't compare consoles to PC. They run at DVD res or lower for most titles, can only upscale to 1080p and not run natively and are heavily cut back in all other aspects.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
5970 is still really good. I have a similar setup (2x 5850) and get high fps in every game I play at 1920x1200 with MSAA and max settings, except BF3. Borderlands 2 runs buttery smooth at maximum everything.

Have you updated your drivers and installed the latest CAP? And why are you playing on a monitor with 2001-era resolution?

It'd be a scam because the 7870 isn't really better than the 5970 unless you overclock, not your BS anti-console bias. Consoles can hold tech back, but not nearly as much as you claim. Even today's most highest end cards can easily be taxed in games with settings that make consoles look like the nearly decade-old, outdated tech that they are.

MotoX

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

In order for PS3 to play Battlefield3 smoothly, they have the graphics settings locked on LOW, and they have a maximum of 24 players per multiplayer server.

A PS3 could never in a million years run BF3 on ultra with 64 players smoothly.

Like I said, if you want to play the game smooth with no FPS drops, reduce your graphics settings. Otherwise, get better hardware.

lovelord666

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Guys I am looking for a solution. Not your hardware commercializing. I know games like the back of my hand so I won't waste my time correcting you. The FPS stutters are there. The FPS is inconsistent even playing games like Borderlands 2. I didn't have this problem before. Its goddamn invalid to say my grpahic card is aging when I use to run Crysis at 60+ FPS. But Can't even keep the FPS of 40 in a crappy graphic game like Borderlands 2 and Battlefield 3 even if its at low(As if the settings even make a difference)

lovelord666

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Sometimes there a notification appears that a driver was blocked due to incompatibility. Don't understand what the hell that could mean. I have the catalyst version 12.8. I have Windows 7 64 Bit.

We might have the source of your problem right there. Try booting into safe mode and uninstalling any and all graphics drivers completely through Driver Fusion after using the regular uninstallers. After you've rebooted as many times as necessary to get them all (re-do this until there's nothing left of any graphics drivers from AMD, Nvidia, and Intel), then try installing the 64 bit version of Catalyst from this link:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Restart again as necessary and see if the problem is resolved.