Warble when I start up and with other sounds

I get a nasty warble at the beginning of all sounds, Windows start up,
cds, music downloads, whatever. Any thoughts on cause and repair?
6 answers Last reply
More about warble start sounds

    nickravo wrote:

    > I get a nasty warble at the beginning of all sounds, Windows start up,
    > cds, music downloads, whatever. Any thoughts on cause and repair?

    You haven't given us any information about your computer, so it is
    impossible to give you a specific answer. Please go here for help in
    crafting a good newsgroup post:

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    In the meantime, things to answer/try:

    1. Did the sound ever work properly? If so, what changed between the
    time things worked and the time they didn't?

    2. Do you have a beefy enough power supply to handle all the devices you
    may have in your computer?

    3. Is the sound device old?

    a. Try updating its drivers - get them from the device mftr.'s
    website, the motherboard mftr.'s website if onboard, or the OEM's
    website for your specific model machine if you have an OEM computer
    (Dell, Sony, HP, etc.).

    b. Swap out the old soundcard for a known-working one. If you have
    onboard sound, disable it in the BIOS and put in an inexpensive PCI
    card soundcard instead.

    4. Are the speakers connected properly? Are they old? Does the problem
    happen with a different set of speakers?

    All troubleshooting should be done systematically, making only one
    change at a time, keeping notes, and testing after each change.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Thanks. Sorrt for the dearth of information. The only thing that has
    changed is I was playing around deleteing some audio files in Windows
    Media player. Could I have done something there? I thought I only
    killed music files. It did work after I got it out of the box a few
    weeks ago. Dell. Speakers seem fine.

    nickravo wrote:

    > Thanks. Sorrt for the dearth of information. The only thing that has
    > changed is I was playing around deleteing some audio files in Windows
    > Media player. Could I have done something there? I thought I only
    > killed music files. It did work after I got it out of the box a few
    > weeks ago. Dell. Speakers seem fine.

    Then try this:

    1. First do a System Restore to before you messed around. If that fixes
    things, stop there.

    2. If that doesn't fix things, uninstall your soundcard drivers and
    reinstall them.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    have you made any other changes like adding any hardware?

    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > nickravo wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. Sorrt for the dearth of information. The only thing that has
    >> changed is I was playing around deleteing some audio files in Windows
    >> Media player. Could I have done something there? I thought I only
    >> killed music files. It did work after I got it out of the box a few
    >> weeks ago. Dell. Speakers seem fine.
    >
    > Then try this:
    >
    > 1. First do a System Restore to before you messed around. If that fixes
    > things, stop there.
    >
    > 2. If that doesn't fix things, uninstall your soundcard drivers and
    > reinstall them.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Will others things get changed if I use this function? and how do I do
    it?

    nickravo wrote:

    > Will others things get changed if I use this function? and how do I do
    > it?

    What function? System Restore? Here is MVP Bert Kinney's website with
    tons of information about System Restore:

    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    Spend some time reading there so you will know what to expect and how to
    do a System Restore.

    If you are uncertain, consider taking the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and
    have them put it right for you. Next time you want to "delete some
    files", set a System Restore point first.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com