XP STANDBY MODE

July 17, 2005 11:39:02 AM

I have a compact presario 3080 notebook running windows xp home
with sp2 installed.
I am unable to use the standby mode, the only option shown 1n the
power settings menu for "what to do when I close the lid" is
"do nothing" and the standby button is grayed out in the shutdown menu.
This used to work, and I am not aware of installing anything that might have
caused the problem. I have tried restoring to earlier dates with no luck.

I have contacted HP and they tell me the only thing I can do is
a complete restore to get this function working again.

Can anyone tell how I can fix this problem without doing the restore?
If not can anyone tell me how to back up Windows xp so that I don't
have to download all the updates again?
Thanks

mel

More about : standby mode

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 5:06:28 PM

You cannot since the hardware is not recognized as ACPI and thus the correct
hal.dll is not created. In other words, XP did not detect that your hardware
allows "stand by" power state.
Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283
or reinstall making sure you select the correct type of hardware - ask HP
(since they own Compaq now).
Michael

!