Invalid boot.ini file

I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.

When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting
"Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then boots
normally.

I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini
file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So I
did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths. One
was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the
other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of
course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.

The file in the WinPatrol file is

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center Edition"
/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file exists,
without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"

Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it
would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably
without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume that
place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?

Ron Hirsch
7 answers Last reply
More about invalid boot file

    If you want to know internals of Partitons, File System and Data
    Recovery etc you may go for the Book "Data Recovery with & without
    Programming"

    You can Find the Details and Contents of the book on following Link:

    http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm

    The Book Also has a Free CD with it, which has all the Source Codes of
    the Programs, described within the Book

    Regards

    TT

    C:\WINNT? Are you using Windows 2000 by any chance. Or did you upgrade from W2K to XP

    --
    Peter

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:eLqdY9tiFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.
    >
    > When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting
    > "Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then boots
    > normally.
    >
    > I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini
    > file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So I
    > did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths. One
    > was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the
    > other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of
    > course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.
    >
    > The file in the WinPatrol file is
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center Edition"
    > /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file exists,
    > without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"
    >
    > Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it
    > would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably
    > without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume that
    > place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    My desktop still installed XP into WINNT - this was 3+ years ago. I see that
    my newer laptop, from 9/04, stopped using the WINNT folder, and now shows
    Windows.

    Ron

    ++++++++++++++++++++

    C:\WINNT? Are you using Windows 2000 by any chance. Or did you upgrade from
    W2K to XP

    --
    Peter

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.
    >
    > When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting
    > "Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then
    > boots
    > normally.
    >
    > I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini
    > file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So
    > did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths.
    > One
    > was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the
    > other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of
    > course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.
    >
    > The file in the WinPatrol file is
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition"
    > /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file
    > exists,
    > without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"
    >
    > Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it
    > would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably
    > without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume
    > that
    > place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    TT,

    Thanks for the link. It does look like an interesting book.

    Fortunately, my backup and archiving of most of everything is very
    extensive. I use a shareware program called folder FolderSync by Funduc. It
    is a very comprehensive program where one can write plain text scripts to
    backup and archive, using any file variable you can think of. I actually
    backup to 4 different hard drives, one in my machine, 2 USB 2 drives which
    are left in place, and a traveling USB 2 drive which I use to sync my other
    machines and laptop. The main script is written to backup files from my main
    desktop, and then a "traveling" USB drive has scripts for it to then convey
    all this material to my other machines.

    My typical script has 50 different actions in it.

    I also use Acronis True Image to image all the C & D hard drive partitions
    in my machines. These images are usually alternated between several of the
    external USB drives, and also the E drive inside my main machine. Aronis
    allows users to load a saved image as a drive letter. Then file recovery
    becomes very simple indeed. This is a lot easier than using a tape backup,
    which I used for many years. To get back a small file used to take forever,
    depending upon where it was on the tape.

    If you are indeed a "Data Recovery Expert", you might want to consider using
    FolderSync. The best way to recover data is to get it back from a drive
    which has not failed. And if you are doing this service for others, automate
    the data backups to external USB drives, so that the customer won't have
    anything complicated to do.

    Ron

    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    "Data Recovery Expert" <taruntyagiDDI@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you want to know internals of Partitons, File System and Data
    > Recovery etc you may go for the Book "Data Recovery with & without
    > Programming"
    >
    > You can Find the Details and Contents of the book on following Link:
    >
    > http://www.DataDoctor.biz/author.htm
    >

    > The Book Also has a Free CD with it, which has all the Source Codes of
    > the Programs, described within the Book
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > TT

    You don't have a problem to solve. Boot.ini is optional if you installed to XP defaults. Copy the file with optin.

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:eLqdY9tiFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.
    >
    > When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting
    > "Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then boots
    > normally.
    >
    > I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini
    > file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So I
    > did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths. One
    > was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the
    > other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of
    > course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.
    >
    > The file in the WinPatrol file is
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center Edition"
    > /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file exists,
    > without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"
    >
    > Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it
    > would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably
    > without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume that
    > place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    Hi David,

    Thanks for the reply. It may be optional, but I want to kill that error
    message. When you state to copy the file wih "optin" - I'm afraid I don't
    know what you mean. Can you elaborate.

    Ron

    ++++++++++++++++++

    "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    You don't have a problem to solve. Boot.ini is optional if you installed to
    XP defaults. Copy the file with optin.

    "Ron Hirsch" <ronhirsch@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I'm running a high end machine with XP - SP2, and noted the following.
    >
    > When I boot up, there is momentary text screen that flashes by, noting
    > "Invalid boot.ini file, booting from C:\WINNT". But, the machine then
    > boots
    > normally.
    >
    > I checked the WINNT folder, and the root of C;\ and there is no boot.ini
    > file in there. Somehow, it must have gotten "lost, strayed, or stolen". So
    > did a search of the full C:\drive, and found two copies in other paths.
    > One
    > was in the Partition Msgic folder created when I got the machine, and the
    > other was in the WinPatrol folder, created a few months ago. It does of
    > course have the RHSA attributes, as it should.
    >
    > The file in the WinPatrol file is
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Media Center
    > Edition"
    > /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    >
    > In the Partition Magic folder from several years ago, the same file
    > exists,
    > without last statement "/Execute=OptIn"
    >
    > Rather than go through a lengthy process of using the recovery console, it
    > would seem that I could just copy the boot.ini file shown above, probably
    > without the "/Execute=OptIn", and put in to its proper place. I assume
    > that
    > place is the root of C:\, is it not. Will this approach solve the problem?
    >
    > Ron Hirsch

    Read your post, you have two - one with and one without the optin switch (introduced in SP2)..

Boot Windows XP