Sign in with
Your question

Canon 20D drivers for windows 7

Last response: in Digital Camera
November 4, 2009 3:59:11 PM

My new Windows 7 laptop doesn't recognize my Canon 20D and I can't find an updated driver. Any suggestions?
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
November 4, 2009 11:48:56 PM

Set your communications to PTP. Win7 will then recognize it.
m
l
November 10, 2009 5:41:12 PM

Use a memory card reader it is a lot faster.
m
l
Related resources
November 22, 2009 7:49:11 PM

Thanks TheViper, worked like a charm. KB
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
November 22, 2009 11:15:57 PM

Excellent, glad it's working for you.
m
l
November 30, 2009 4:35:42 PM

TheViper said:

what is communication ptp is that on my camera or my computer i never had to do this ,so i don't know what that is
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
November 30, 2009 5:05:33 PM

vickyk said:
what is communication ptp is that on my camera or my computer i never had to do this ,so i don't know what that is

It is one of the settings on the camera in the menu.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
August 19, 2010 1:59:20 AM

Thanks for this posting... it really helped me too!

Much appreciated.
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
December 3, 2010 8:17:53 PM

TheViper said:

Thanks for the tip!!! worked for me too
m
l
January 15, 2011 2:53:44 PM

Thank you. Worked for me too.
m
l
October 12, 2011 12:17:13 PM

YEY!!! you are my hero!! thank you so much! so happy right now
m
l
November 6, 2011 10:16:16 PM

Setting the communication protocol to PTP is fine for simply downloading pictures from the camera to the computer. However I need for my application to use the remote capture to take pictures from the computer. I use the camera for some data acquisition and I need the computer to be able to control the camera.

Does anyone know how I could get this to work with windows 7? My IT manager decided to upgrade all machines to win 7 and doesn't want me to get a machine working with XP or earlier.
m
l
November 8, 2011 5:07:25 PM

Thank you Viper, the change to PtP also worked for me. May i ask though, wat does it mean, what is the difference between 'Normal' and 'PtP'?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
November 18, 2011 12:38:28 AM

PTP means Picture Transfer Protocol. Technically it is a means for the camera and a printer or mass storage device to directly communicate together without a computer USB host.

Most modern operating systems will allow picture transfer to the computer under the "normal" setting but some (XP and OSX mostly) don't work quite right but work well when the camera is set to PTP instead.
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:34:43 PM

Thank you Viper! That solved my problem as well!
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
June 16, 2012 11:16:30 AM

TheViper said:

Have no idea what you mean. Just where do you go to change communications to PTP???
fordsedge@gmail.com
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b \ Driver
a b w Digital camera
June 16, 2012 4:38:19 PM

In your camera, go to menu> communicantion>chose the PTP (default is normal). After then connect the camera into the PC, now your PC will recognize your camera.
m
l
June 24, 2012 5:02:10 AM

i would just install eos utility. that way you can shoot tethered. meaning you can control and operate the camera while connected to usb. it is convenient for studio work. you can also use the camera normally and preview shots instantly on a real monitor with adobe bridge or preview or whatever. very useful on shots that are important.
m
l
July 29, 2012 9:31:30 PM

TheViper said:

:hello:  It absolutely helped me, too - much apprciated! :pt1cable: 
m
l
October 30, 2012 7:15:30 PM

What if you do not have the Utility disk and you want to use your teathering cord from my camera to my conputer?
m
l
December 20, 2012 3:40:06 PM

lourendo said:
i would just install eos utility. that way you can shoot tethered. meaning you can control and operate the camera while connected to usb. it is convenient for studio work. you can also use the camera normally and preview shots instantly on a real monitor with adobe bridge or preview or whatever. very useful on shots that are important.

EOS Utility does not recognize older cameras in 'normal' making remote shooting impossible. Canon did not release camera driver for win 7 and win 7 itself doesn't have one
m
l
May 25, 2013 9:54:16 AM

TheViper said:
vickyk said:

Thank you so much this helped me too!!
m
l
less than a minute ago

TheViper said:

5 years later, still excellent advice for Windows 8.1
m
l
!