ZoneAlarm with Anti-Virus. Sms OK... any Pro'sor Cons

Malke

John wrote:

> Appreaciate your responses.
>
> John

Unfortunately, you haven't included any useful information in your post,
so you can't get a specific answer. Go here to get help in making a
good post:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Then do come back and repost with all necessary details. There are lots
of people reading this newsgroup who want to help you (like me), but
you have to give us something with which to work.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

John wrote:
> Appreaciate your responses.
>
> John

question, but your subject line is meaningless gibberish.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Please ask a decent question and state specifics! What are your concerns?
What antivirus?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"John" <zplunger@cox.net> wrote in message
> Appreaciate your responses.
>
> John

bytor

In article <9gskd1lf0i9ig1dgjv94ohq4gkvcn3j0np@4ax.com>,
zplunger@cox.net, John says...

> Appreaciate your responses.
>
> John

No cons here.....Anything ZoneAlarm works very well for me.

I use ZA Firewall with AVG7 AV on one HD with Win ME, and ZA Firewall with
Norton System Works 2005 AV on the other HD with Win XP Home.

Ohhhh, you meant "How about ZA Firewall with Anti-virus?", geez, nobody got
that?
My answer is about subscriptions and lost license keys that never came with the
product! I bought ZA 4 (installed last year onto the Win Me drive) and that
required a few updates to ZA 5.5 or something. Just recently, I tried to install
the ZA 4 CD onto the new Win XP drive, and it said my software was
expired...7/2003! So, my CD must be too damn old! I had to get a trial version
from our DSL provider, and that expires this fall. Will I buy a ZA 5 CD off the
shelf at Staples for $40, or will I renew the subscriptions on each hard drive
for $19.99 a piece? If I installed the ZA 5 CD on each HD, will the
registrations collide and void one or both installations? I don't know.

But I do know that I should NOT have a Norton Firewall! Norton products screw up
so much, (but not on the Win XP installation yet); I want to keep a lot of these
security products as different brands on the machine so if one product goes
down, it doesn't take 3 other critical security applications down with it.
However, I have heard that McAfee does not play well with Norton, so if you have
Norton anything, avoid McAfee, and vice-versa (will this story EVER change?).

On my Win 98SE machine....I had Panda AV for 9 months until it wouldn't scan the
HD for viruses a couple of months ago, then I went to AVG7. Panda did update
virus definitions everyday, while a novice Norton AV User only gets updates
about once a week. AVG 7 updates everyday too.
This notice just came from Panda today. I won't be renewing.

Dear customer:

The automatic and transparent updates of your Titanium Antivirus 2004 expire in
two weeks. From then on, the antivirus will not be able to detect the new
viruses that emerge and remember, an average of 20 new viruses appear every day.

Don't put the security of your information on the line and go to
http://wwwpandasoftware.com/renewals to rapidly and easily renew your Titanium
Antivirus 2004. You will benefit from unbeatable prices and great discounts when
you renew, so you can forget about viruses.

And that's not all, you will also benefit from all the advantages of Titanium
Antivirus 2005 at no extra charge: protection against unknown viruses and
intruders, thanks to the incorporation of TruPrevent Technologies, as well as
anti-spyware, anti-dialer and firewall technology against hackers.

Enter your client number and email address in the web page, and you will find
comprehensive information about Titanium Antivirus 2004: prices, discounts and
renewal options, as well as the different forms of payment. Remember this
transaction is completely secure and confidential, because we safeguard your
privacy using security protocols which encrypt the information.

If you prefer, you can renew by calling + 1 (818) 543-6901 during business
hours. Remember to have your client number to hand to help us complete this
process as quickly as possible.

When you renew, you will have automatic access to the following services:

24h-365d e-mail Tech support
SOS virus
Automatic daily updates
Access to the latest version of Titanium Antivirus 2005

Maximum protection against all types of viruses.

Renew your Titanium Antivirus 2004 now at:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/renewals

Sincerely,

Renewals Department
Panda Software

Sparda skrev:

> The main problem with ZA that i find is that it takes some time to

ZA also takes up much resources. On my XP system, VSMON is the process
that uses most RAM and most CPU time of all - over 26MB RAM usage :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message

> ZA also takes up much resources. On my XP system, VSMON is the
> process
> that uses most RAM and most CPU time of all - over 26MB RAM
> usage :-(

Nope, not here. I just checked. At the moment VSMON is using just
under 8MB.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I am using 31,712k of RAM right now and zero CPU cycles. I am running
ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.0.629.000 beta.

The vsmon usage varies with the ZA program you are using, I suppose.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Sparda skrev:
>
>> The main problem with ZA that i find is that it takes some time to
>
> ZA also takes up much resources. On my XP system, VSMON is the process
> that uses most RAM and most CPU time of all - over 26MB RAM usage :-(
>
> --
> Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I am using 31,712k of RAM right now and zero CPU cycles. I am
> running
> ZoneAlarm Security Suite 6.0.629.000 beta.
>
> The vsmon usage varies with the ZA program you are using, I
> suppose.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!"
>
> "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> > Sparda skrev:
> >
> >> The main problem with ZA that i find is that it takes some
> time to
> >
> > ZA also takes up much resources. On my XP system, VSMON is
> the process
> > that uses most RAM and most CPU time of all - over 26MB RAM
> usage :-(
> >
> > --
> > Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
> > WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

It can use alot of memory, I find that if you leave a P2P client
running for a couple of hours vsmon will leak memory. For example, I
left eMule running all last night, and now vsmon as growen to use
161MB of RAM, I notice no lack of performance from my computer because
I have 1.5GB of RAM any way, but if you had 256MB of ram, that could
be a problem. The only aparent way to stop it using this amount of RAM
is to restart Zone Alarm.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-ZoneAlarm-Anti-Virus-Sms-Pro-sor-Cons-ftopict397022.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1312311

Or - stop using e-mule!

--

Ken Blake skrev:

> Nope, not here. I just checked. At the moment VSMON is using just
> under 8MB.

Mine does too at boottime, but check again after a few hours

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ 7297605
WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

Just checked Vsmon, Memory usage @11 Meg w/ peak to 17.0,
but it's not unusual for it to average around 25.0

In news:7I5De.967$jA4.629@amstwist00,
Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> typed:

> Ken Blake skrev:
>
>> Nope, not here. I just checked. At the moment VSMON is using
>> just
>> under 8MB.
>
> Mine does too at boottime, but check again after a few hours

When I posted yesterday, it had been about eight hours since I
had booted. It's now about two hours since I booted this morning,
and it's again just under 8MB.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Yes, mine has been booted for 7.5 hours now and Vsmon is now
at 20 Meg w/ peak at 22 Meg. It's risen by 9 Megabytes over the
past 3 hours. Can't see any appreciable change in other parameters
other than the page faults is in excess of 65K.

In news:O2VaGvHjFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
R. McCarty <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> typed:

> Yes, mine has been booted for 7.5 hours now and Vsmon is now
> at 20 Meg w/ peak at 22 Meg. It's risen by 9 Megabytes over
> the
> past 3 hours. Can't see any appreciable change in other
> parameters
> other than the page faults is in excess of 65K.

I just checked again--now five hours after booting. It's gone up
*very* slightly--now just over 8MB.

Richard Urban [MVP] skrev:

> The vsmon usage varies with the ZA program you are using, I suppose.

I have disabled most modules, except the firewall. Doesn't help.
Besides the VSMON service is common for all ZA modules, isn't it

--

In news:eFarUaJjFHA.576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:

> In news:O2VaGvHjFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> R. McCarty <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> typed:
>
>> Yes, mine has been booted for 7.5 hours now and Vsmon is now
>> at 20 Meg w/ peak at 22 Meg. It's risen by 9 Megabytes over
>> the
>> past 3 hours. Can't see any appreciable change in other
>> parameters
>> other than the page faults is in excess of 65K.
>

> I just checked again--now five hours after booting. It's gone
> up
> *very* slightly--now just over 8MB.

It's now seven hours after booting. Still just over 8MB.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>> message
>>> In news:7I5De.967$jA4.629@amstwist00,
>>> Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> typed:

>>> When I posted yesterday, it had been about eight hours since
>>> had
>>> booted. It's now about two hours since I booted this morning,
>>> and
>>> it's again just under 8MB.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

>>ZA also takes up much resources. On my XP system, VSMON in the process that
uses most RAM and most CPU time of all - over 26MB RAM usage :-(

> It can use alot of memory, I find that if you leave a P2P client
> running for a couple of hours vsmon will leak memory. For example, I
> left eMule running all last night, and now vsmon as growen to use
> 161MB of RAM, I notice no lack of performance from my computer because
> I have 1.5GB of RAM any way, but if you had 256MB of ram, that could
> be a problem. The only aparent way to stop it using this amount of RAM
> is to restart Zone Alarm.

If your P2P is using 8 connections, that may be why ZA is using 8 times as much
RAM. (just a thought about an unknown). Thanks for the warning about RAM use on
this subject.

I had a problem with Logitech Desktop Messenger being blocked by ZA and the LDM
did not give up. My CPU cycles locked at 100% and my machine sounded like it was
going to explode. I had to uninstall LDM from Add/Remove Programs for each User.