I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get is
"SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any headaches
with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2

How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as part of
the new installation CD.

SP2 cannot be removed if its already integrated into your Windows XP CD.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Erv" wrote:

| I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get is
| "SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any headaches
| with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2
|
| How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as part of
| the new installation CD.

Great....So, no more flightsim, or anything....why did I even bother.

Erv wrote:
> Great....So, no more flightsim, or anything....why did I even bother.

Bother doing what? It sounds like something is wrong with your
installation.. If you performed a fresh installation of Windows XP - which
is what is inferred - did you then go through and update all drivers and
such from the hardware manufacturers?

Did you download and install all patches after SP2 from
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?

Did you check here for troubleshooting the FS2004 issues?
http://support.microsoft.com/flightsim2004faq

Did you try setting up Outlook Express to view and post to the newsgroups
instead of the Web Interface?

Did you try modifying the security settings for Windows XP and/or Internet
Explorer?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

"Erv" <Erv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get is
> "SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any
> headaches
> with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2
>
> How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as part
> of
> the new installation CD.

You don't. Nor should you. SP2 is an upgrade to an operating system that
works quite well in every machine it is put on that did NOT have problems
before it was installed. So, my suggestions are to lose the CDO method you
are using to post here, and use a real newsreader, then post your error
message(s) and get whatever is wrong fixed.

I second that, SP2 is must and is not the root of the problem.

I have a question that is a little off topic. What is the problem with the
CDO method of posting? Why do people have a problem with users posting this
way? Someone who I guess was about 12 in Canada left a belligerant comment
on my website because I posted my replies using CDO. I use web interfaces
for as many apps as I can. Also how can you tell that I am using the web
interface?

--
http://www.americantechie.com

"Jone Doe" wrote:

> "Erv" <Erv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get is
> > "SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any
> > headaches
> > with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2
> >
> > How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as part
> > of
> > the new installation CD.
>
> You don't. Nor should you. SP2 is an upgrade to an operating system that
> works quite well in every machine it is put on that did NOT have problems
> before it was installed. So, my suggestions are to lose the CDO method you
> are using to post here, and use a real newsreader, then post your error
> message(s) and get whatever is wrong fixed.

We can tell from your header properties:

If you post using OE, we can tell if you have all relevant updates to your
computer. An up-to-date XP would show:

Which we cannot see if you post through the Web Interface. Makes things much
easier for us, and the poster.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"AmericanTechie" <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I second that, SP2 is must and is not the root of the problem.
>
> I have a question that is a little off topic. What is the problem with
> the
> CDO method of posting? Why do people have a problem with users posting
> this
> way? Someone who I guess was about 12 in Canada left a belligerant
> comment
> on my website because I posted my replies using CDO. I use web interfaces
> for as many apps as I can. Also how can you tell that I am using the web
> interface?
>
> --
> http://www.americantechie.com
>

> "Jone Doe" wrote:
>

>> "Erv" <Erv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get
>> >is
>> > "SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any
>> > headaches
>> > with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2
>> >
>> > How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as
>> > part
>> > of
>> > the new installation CD.
>>
>> You don't. Nor should you. SP2 is an upgrade to an operating system
>> that
>> works quite well in every machine it is put on that did NOT have problems
>> before it was installed. So, my suggestions are to lose the CDO method
>> you
>> are using to post here, and use a real newsreader, then post your error
>> message(s) and get whatever is wrong fixed.

Shenan,
You expected two MS products to work out of the gate! (grin)
There is always away around a problem, just Google;
Windows XP Professional SP1- Full Version
* Microsoft Holographic Windows XP Professional CD
* Comes with Microsoft owners manual
* Comes with Certificate of Authenticity (COA) $91.00
Format & install.
Cheers,
Treeman

--
Treeman

In news:355192D8-157C-4806-9A79-8CA1CA8D1F2F@microsoft.com,
AmericanTechie <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I second that, SP2 is must and is not the root of the problem.
>
> I have a question that is a little off topic. What is the
> problem
> with the CDO method of posting? Why do people have a problem
> with
> users posting this way?

Speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with your
participating in the newsgroup any way you want to. But as far as
I'm concerned, it's the slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone
method there is, and you handicap yourself by doing so. Do
yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as Outlook
Express, which comes with Windows.
See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

Many people who use CDO have trouble finding replies to their
messages. It's slow because it gets messages one at a time,
instead of all at once the way a newsreader would. It doesn't
have the filtering, organizing, and spell-checking facilities
that a newsreader has.

> Someone who I guess was about 12 in Canada
> left a belligerant comment on my website because I posted my
> replies
> using CDO. I use web interfaces for as many apps as I can.

Your choice of course, but I strongly recommend that you try a
newsreader instead. It will make your life much easier.

> Also how
> can you tell that I am using the web interface?

It's in the header of your message: X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO
for Windows 2000

Please reply to the newsgroup

Try these newsgroups as well:
microsoft.public.simulators
microsoft.public.games.zone.simulation

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Erv" <Erv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried posting about my SP2 and FS 2004 problem on avsim, and all I get is
> "SP2 security will not allow posts...cookie error" I never had any
> headaches
> with XP, FS2004, or any internet applications before SP2
>
> How do I remove SP2...this was not a downloaded update, this came as part
> of
> the new installation CD.

Ken thanks for taking the time on your great reply. That is all that I was
asking for. This is a valuable opinion from someone who has obviously earned
the right of Microsoft MVP as opposed to newsgroup troll trash.

What makes the internet great is the converstations that this great
invention enables. Those conversations break down when you become offensive.
Kurt, I checked out your website and read your blog. You seem like a great
guy, I just wish we could tone down our little spat and have a reasonable
discussion on this.

Maybe we could post our opinions on our blogs and discuss this in comments.
In any case I will go ahead and apologize for hijacking this thread and for
my ranting. I was angry that someone attacked me and posted profanities on
my website over such a silly thing and almost immediately after I got more
grief in this thread. That does not make for a friendly support environment.

As a side note Kurt you are right. I have not participated in many public
newsgroups because when I was doing support we used the internal MS Knowledge
Base which is a gold mine of information. If you could not find an answer
there, good luck. Also about the time that I started doing support we had
Google groups to help us out. When Google newsgroup search hit the scenes we
had a great way of searching newsgroups without having to subscribe to them.
This is what got me started on using a web interface to access news groups.
I have also been using web based clients for email for as long as I have been
using email. IMO web based interfaces are the future and I use them whenever
possible. I would even go further to say that I would like to see the day
where my computer can be a thin client to an online subscription based OS.

I will go ahead and setup my access to the newsgroup in OE. Thanks again
for the great reply Ken.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:355192D8-157C-4806-9A79-8CA1CA8D1F2F@microsoft.com,
> AmericanTechie <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I second that, SP2 is must and is not the root of the problem.
> >
> > I have a question that is a little off topic. What is the
> > problem
> > with the CDO method of posting? Why do people have a problem
> > with
> > users posting this way?
>

> Speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with your
> participating in the newsgroup any way you want to. But as far as
> I'm concerned, it's the slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone
> method there is, and you handicap yourself by doing so. Do
> yourself a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as Outlook
> Express, which comes with Windows.
> See http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
>
> Many people who use CDO have trouble finding replies to their
> messages. It's slow because it gets messages one at a time,
> instead of all at once the way a newsreader would. It doesn't
> have the filtering, organizing, and spell-checking facilities
> that a newsreader has.
>

> > Someone who I guess was about 12 in Canada
> > left a belligerant comment on my website because I posted my
> > replies
> > using CDO. I use web interfaces for as many apps as I can.
>

> Your choice of course, but I strongly recommend that you try a
> newsreader instead. It will make your life much easier.
>

> > Also how
> > can you tell that I am using the web interface?
>

> It's in the header of your message: X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO
> for Windows 2000

> Please reply to the newsgroup

I suppose this also means you guys frown against subscribing and
posting to this group via Google Groups... :(

What warranty would that be?

The question of Firefox and Thunderbird is a totally different
discussion. Both are not as popular as IE so maybe this does put me
out of step with the civilized world. Is there anything wrong with
that? Microsoft adopts much technology and features that are offered
by competitors. We need those competitors to keep Microsoft from
getting too comfortable.

Maybe when IE 7 ships I will go back. Until then I am more comfortable
with a browser that adheres much better to web standards, has tabbed
browsing, and is much more resistant to to spyware. Honestly the only
one that I really care about of the above is tabbed browsing.

Thank you for your contribution and I agree with you totally. Everyone
has a different way of doing things and different opinions. I was met
with a bit of belligerence for my own way of doing things. All I did
was post a couple of answers to some questions and then someone posted
a buch of profanities in my comments on my website. I then nicely
asked why people are against posting the web interface and someone
replied that I was stupid for using it. When I protested this horrible
response I was then told to deal with it or leave. Yes, I was quite
impressed by this great community.

All you can do is attack me with trash liners. I see you cannot be
reasoned with and you cannot form a coherent argument. You are like
the snotty 8 year old that can only hurl insults and comebacks. I am
wondering if you are really a person and not some joke machine. I
swear I could create a bot that could come up with as good responses.

In news:7C6CC437-976C-4F03-8A44-17EE89D293A0@microsoft.com,
AmericanTechie <AmericanTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Ken thanks for taking the time on your great reply. That is
> all that
> I was asking for. This is a valuable opinion from someone who
> has
> obviously earned the right of Microsoft MVP as opposed to
> newsgroup
> troll trash.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:1121632050.708119.64100@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
americantechie <john.fuller@gmail.com> typed:

> I suppose this also means you guys frown against subscribing
> and
> posting to this group via Google Groups... :(

Once again, I think you should do whatever you want. I'll be
happy to give you my opinion and advice, but the choice of what
to do is yours, not mine.

Googlegroups is a great resource for searching newsgroups for
information; I use it all the time for that. It's a much poorer
choice for *participating* in newsgroups, since any web-based
tool essentially suffers from the same weaknesses (the ones I
mentioned in my earlier reply about CDO) as compared to a
newsreader.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:1121633469.997329.112640@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
americantechie <john.fuller@gmail.com> typed:

> Thank you for your contribution and I agree with you totally.
> Everyone has a different way of doing things and different
> opinions.
> I was met with a bit of belligerence for my own way of doing
> things.
> All I did was post a couple of answers to some questions and
> then
> someone posted a buch of profanities in my comments on my
> website. I
> then nicely asked why people are against posting the web
> interface
> and someone replied that I was stupid for using it. When I
> protested
> this horrible response I was then told to deal with it or
> leave.
> Yes, I was quite impressed by this great community.

I'll echo what Shenan said: although this is a community of
sorts, it's not a community in the sense of being a uniform group
of people with identical manners, interests, knowledge, skills,
etc. We are all individuals, and as different from each other as
those in almost any group of similar size. On any given day,
there are several hundred people posting here, and they range
from extremely polite to extremely rude, from extremely
knowledgeable to having no idea what they are taking about, from
extremely literate to extremely illiterate. It's the nature of
virtually all newsgroups--not all replies to your questions will
always be helpful.

Among the many reasons for preferring a newsreader to using the
CDO interface is that it lets you easily killfile those people
who are rude or useless, so you don't have to see their messages
in the future.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:1121633076.945968.303220@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
americantechie <john.fuller@gmail.com> typed:

> What warranty would that be?
>
> The question of Firefox and Thunderbird is a totally different
> discussion. Both are not as popular as IE so maybe this does
> put me
> out of step with the civilized world. Is there anything wrong
> with
> that? Microsoft adopts much technology and features that are
> offered
> by competitors. We need those competitors to keep Microsoft
> from
> getting too comfortable.
>
> Maybe when IE 7 ships I will go back. Until then I am more
> comfortable with a browser that adheres much better to web
> standards,
> has tabbed browsing, and is much more resistant to to spyware.
> Honestly the only one that I really care about of the above is
> tabbed
> browsing.

You might be interested in trying Maxthon, which is an IE shell,
and offers tabbed browsing along with many other excellent
features. I had tried Firefox and wasn't overly impressed with
it, but I've been using Maxthon for the last month or two and
like it a lot. www.maxthon.com.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Nice, thanks for the link! I will check that out. I also hear there
is an MSN toolbar that adds tabbed browsing as well.

In news:1121636036.097809.247090@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
americantechie <john.fuller@gmail.com> typed:

> Nice, thanks for the link! I will check that out. I also hear
> there
> is an MSN toolbar that adds tabbed browsing as well.

Was that a reply to my message? If so, you're welcome, but please
quote enough of the message you're replying to to put your reply
into context. Otherwise, the many of us here who don't save
already-read messages have no idea what or to whom you're
replying.

AmericanTechie wrote:
> This is exactly what I am talking about. This newsgroup has really
> taken a turn for the worse. Are you the same person who posted that
> rude comment on my website? Why do you even bother posting here if
> you can't be decent. Nobody wants to hear what you have to say if you
> are going to be rude. In that case you are just wasting your time.
>
> I use web interfaces for as many apps as I possibly can. I also
> extensively use online subscription based software for my business.
> If I must use desktop apps then I don't generally use Microsoft
> products. I use Firefox as a browser and if I must use an
> email/newsgroup client I use Thunderbird. The only reason I even use
> Windows and post to this newsgroup is because I did tech support for
> XP for three years and want to keep up with it.

You use web-based tools whenever you can. You use Firefox and Thunderbird.
Did it ever occur to you that you may be the one that's out of step with the
civilized world?

You are simply ASKING that your warranty be voided.

"americantechie" <john.fuller@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I suppose this also means you guys frown against subscribing and
> posting to this group via Google Groups... :(

Is there some reason you came into our house and put your feet up on the
coffee table?

americantechie wrote:
> I suppose this also means you guys frown against subscribing and
> posting to this group via Google Groups... :(

Try not to group anyone in these newsgroups into a pile. Their opinions and
experiences are as diverse as your own. Where some are bothered by posting
through the Web Interface - some are not. Where some are concerned with
cross-posting versus multi-posting, others are not. Where some are
vehemently against top-posting, many are as passionate about bottom posting.

All the people on these newsgroups can do are give you their facts for or
against something as obscure as those topics.. Their experiences which may
(or may not) have led them to a conclusion. What you do with those opinions
and facts should be done in the same way their experiences led them to their
conclusions - on your own and what is best for you.

Now - that cannot always be said for some of the actual technical advice
given out - although there is almost always 2+ ways to do anything when it
comes to computing. hah

Do what makes you happy and makes your life bearable. Form your own
opinions on the Web Interface and Google Groups and so on. I prefer a few
different newsreaders and personally do not like the Web Interface as it
just doesn't give me the control I want. But for someone posting a couple
of questions and waiting for an answer or two - they did not likely start
with the question of "How do I get this setup in my newsreader?" since they
might not even know what that is yet. heh

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

"americantechie" <john.fuller@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your contribution and I agree with you totally. Everyone
> has a different way of doing things and different opinions. I was met
> with a bit of belligerence for my own way of doing things. All I did
> was post a couple of answers to some questions and then someone posted
> a buch of profanities in my comments on my website. I then nicely
> asked why people are against posting the web interface and someone
> replied that I was stupid for using it. When I protested this horrible
> response I was then told to deal with it or leave. Yes, I was quite
> impressed by this great community.

and you are still here? Let me know if you plan to stay so I can add you to
the kill file.

TRENDING THREADS