Franco Prussian rulessets - what are you using?

Gents,

Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
(impulse buy - we've all been there!).

Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
it.

Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?

I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
above simulation.

Thanks,

Mike

PS - My figs are 15mm.
Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
Try HealthChecK.
Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp

Hi Mike,

Check out "1870" or perhaps "Chassepot & Needlegun" by Larry Brom or
Frank Chadwick's "Volley & Bayonet" grand tactical multi-period rules.
These are all good rules sets for the FPW.

Regards,
Clay

mike.sd@btinternt.com (Mike Seddon) wrote in message news:<4115f1d9.1969211@news.btinternet.com>...
> Gents,
>
> Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
> (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
>
> Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
> it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
>
> I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
> multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
> above simulation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> PS - My figs are 15mm.
> Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
> Try HealthChecK.
> Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
> http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp

Eventually I will have a "hyphonated-wars" Fire & Fury variant coming
out, but it will be a while. The commercial Napoleonic variant
(completely integrated into the original rules) is due Christmas, then
after that the Lace Wars variant.

Personally, I have always enjoyed Bruce Weigle's 1870 set of rules, so
that is my recommendation.

Regards, Bill Gray

ccooper@eagle.org (Clay Cooper) wrote in message news:<f6e90257.0408080910.691a878a@posting.google.com>...
> Hi Mike,
>
> Check out "1870" or perhaps "Chassepot & Needlegun" by Larry Brom or
> Frank Chadwick's "Volley & Bayonet" grand tactical multi-period rules.
> These are all good rules sets for the FPW.
>
> Regards,
> Clay
>

> mike.sd@btinternt.com (Mike Seddon) wrote in message news:<4115f1d9.1969211@news.btinternet.com>...
> > Gents,
> >
> > Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
> > (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
> >
> > Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
> > it.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
> >
> > I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
> > multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
> > above simulation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > PS - My figs are 15mm.
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
> > Try HealthChecK.
> > Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
> > http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp

I have a free set of rules online plus scenarios. They are based on the
popular Fire & Fury set.

www.wfgamers.org.uk

Nick Dorrell

p.s Hopefully I will have the updated rules done soon.

"Mike Seddon" <mike.sd@btinternt.com> wrote in message
> Gents,
>
> Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
> (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
>
> Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
> it.
>
> Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
>
> I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
> multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
> above simulation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> PS - My figs are 15mm.
> Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
> Try HealthChecK.
> Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free
copy.
> http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp

I use (and have for years) Hallowed Ground 2nd edition from Piquet. Works
great for FPW.

Brent Oman
Piquet Inc.

I'd like to suggest that you try "THEY DIED FOR GLORY". They are designed for
15mm figures, but there are rules for adapting them to 5/6mm and 25/28mm
figures.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I'm the co-author
of the rules.

If you try the rules, please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Robert Burke