Franco Prussian rulessets - what are you using?

Gents,

Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
(impulse buy - we've all been there!).

Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
it.

Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?

I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
above simulation.

Thanks,

Mike

PS - My figs are 15mm.
Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
Try HealthChecK.
Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp
5 answers Last reply
More about franco prussian rulessets using
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Hi Mike,

    Check out "1870" or perhaps "Chassepot & Needlegun" by Larry Brom or
    Frank Chadwick's "Volley & Bayonet" grand tactical multi-period rules.
    These are all good rules sets for the FPW.

    Regards,
    Clay

    mike.sd@btinternt.com (Mike Seddon) wrote in message news:<4115f1d9.1969211@news.btinternet.com>...
    > Gents,
    >
    > Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
    > (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
    >
    > Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
    > it.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
    >
    > I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
    > multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
    > above simulation.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > PS - My figs are 15mm.
    > Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
    > Try HealthChecK.
    > Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
    > http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    Eventually I will have a "hyphonated-wars" Fire & Fury variant coming
    out, but it will be a while. The commercial Napoleonic variant
    (completely integrated into the original rules) is due Christmas, then
    after that the Lace Wars variant.

    Personally, I have always enjoyed Bruce Weigle's 1870 set of rules, so
    that is my recommendation.

    Regards, Bill Gray

    ccooper@eagle.org (Clay Cooper) wrote in message news:<f6e90257.0408080910.691a878a@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Check out "1870" or perhaps "Chassepot & Needlegun" by Larry Brom or
    > Frank Chadwick's "Volley & Bayonet" grand tactical multi-period rules.
    > These are all good rules sets for the FPW.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Clay
    >

    > mike.sd@btinternt.com (Mike Seddon) wrote in message news:<4115f1d9.1969211@news.btinternet.com>...
    > > Gents,
    > >
    > > Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
    > > (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
    > >
    > > Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
    > >
    > > I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
    > > multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
    > > above simulation.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > PS - My figs are 15mm.
    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    > > Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
    > > Try HealthChecK.
    > > Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free copy.
    > > http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    I have a free set of rules online plus scenarios. They are based on the
    popular Fire & Fury set.

    www.wfgamers.org.uk

    Nick Dorrell

    p.s Hopefully I will have the updated rules done soon.

    "Mike Seddon" <mike.sd@btinternt.com> wrote in message
    > Gents,
    >
    > Recently at a Bring & Buy, I purchased two Franco-Prussian armies
    > (impulse buy - we've all been there!).
    >
    > Anyway, I know little about this period, so I'm starting to research
    > it.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a ruleset they are using for Franco-Prussian?
    >
    > I like rules that are fast, require little reference back to
    > multitudes of tables and give an historic feel but place gameplay
    > above simulation.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > PS - My figs are 15mm.
    > Do you have problems with formatting your Word documents?
    > Try HealthChecK.
    > Full software on 25 day free trial and the chance to win your own free
    copy.
    > http://www.kutchka.com/products/producthealthcheck.asp
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    I use (and have for years) Hallowed Ground 2nd edition from Piquet. Works
    great for FPW.

    Brent Oman
    Piquet Inc.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.historical (More info?)

    I'd like to suggest that you try "THEY DIED FOR GLORY". They are designed for
    15mm figures, but there are rules for adapting them to 5/6mm and 25/28mm
    figures.

    In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I'm the co-author
    of the rules.

    If you try the rules, please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

    Robert Burke

Games Video Games