cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys I am planning on buying my first LCD monitor, currently I use HP's MX70 17" CRT monitor. First off I hate Widescreen for the most part. In a few instances I find that it is nice but in most cases I dislike it. I guess you could say I like Squarescreen. If there is a proper term for that I'd appreciate a push in the right direction. Secondly I am a FPS fanatic. I'm going to be playing games like BF2, Source Engine Games, Quake 4, FEAR, etc. So I want some thing fast, bright, and extremely colorful. I also would like a resolution of 1280x1024. Maybe 1600x1200 if there is a good enough monitor you guys happen to know off. Right now I'm zeroing in on Samsung's 940BX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001080&Tpk=940+BX
The only problem I'm having is I've been told to shoot for 16.7 million colors which the 940UX offers but I've heard it connects to your PC vias USB only....not cool. So what monitors would you guys recommend?

BTW: What is the high gloss coating called that they put on some of the HP monitors? It looks really nice, I'm wondering if any good gaming LCD's have that?

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
After doing a little more research I found one that seems to be pretty damn good from what I can tell. It's the HP LP1965. Its got 16.7 million colors, 1000:1 contrast ration, a 6 ms response time, USB hub integrated, 178 degree viewing angles and all at 300 cd/m2 brightness. Can anyone make any suggestions about a different one? Or can anyone tell me if this is a good pick? Or should I just buy a CRT?

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Yea I've really been debating between CRT and LCD and I kind of decided on LCD mainly because of the LCD's lower space and power requirements and because CRT's are harder to find, expecially in nice sizes (I'd want a 20+ if I go CRT). Could you recommend me any good CRT's with good refresh rates and resolutions? I'd totally go for one if I could find it.

realzeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I do not know where you live and thus the availability of CRTs over there but from what I know you can still find a good Viewsonic in most places. Unfortunately, the really high end players (Sony, Eizo, Mitsubishi) have seized production a long time ago. Viewsonic makes good monitors though and I would recommend getting a G series Viewsonic or a Philips (if there is stick still available where you live) CRT.

TRENDING THREADS