Cheap 2nd display?

b3n

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
I'm a web developer so I want to have dual-display. Currently I have a Samsung Syncmaster 206BW (20" widescreen and 2ms).

It seems a bit overkill to have 2 widescreen displays - I will only be using the 2nd screen whilst developing (not playing games etc). I reckon 17" would be enough.

Are there issues with having different displays? Do they need to support the same resolutions etc?

There is not much difference in prices for different displays, and having 2 different displays would annoy me slightly, so maybe I should just get another 206BW.

Thanks,

tech-spy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
You can run two different displays at two different resolutions without any problems. You just need to make sure that your video driver software allow you to do this. I am using an NVIDIA video card and the NVIDIA control panel software lets me adjust the resolution of the two displays independantly.

The only problem I have with my second monitor is that it isn't very bright. I am also using a SyncMaster and compared to my second cheaper monitor, there is quite a noticeable difference in the brightness. Even with the brightness settings at their maximum on my second monitor, it doesn't compare with the SyncMaster at about 70% brightness.

So if you are looking at getting a cheap display, make sure you check out the brightness specs to see if they come anywhere near to your SyncMaster.