Dual Boot 7+Vista, big problem, help!

Hi! I got a big problem and cant find a way to fix it.
On my PC i installed 7... but id like to install Vista as well since 7 sucks for gaming.
My system is this... 3tb hd with:
D primary partition 100 mega reserved for system, 7 creared it when i installed it.
C primary 100 giga, 7 installed
I primary 50 giga, where i want to install vista
J logical 1500 giga
K logical 400 giga

You noticed there are 800 giga missing... the problem is that for some reason, windows 7 can only see 2tb of my hd (even if i got a motherboard, asrock h61m, with a bios that should be new enuff to see the whole 3tb, infact bios can see 3). So, to be able to use the latest 800giga, i used a tool from asrock, called 3tb unlocker. From what i saw, it simulates a 2nd hd (even if its still the same one) with 800 giga.


Now... i just tried to install VISTA in the partition I... everything went fine... until the end... after you set the admin password and it reboots. After the boot, i get the usual error page:

WINDOWS BOOTS MANAGER
Windows did not load bla bla
1
2
3

File: \$windows.-bt\Windows\system32\winload,exe
status: 0x00000f
Info: impossible to load the selected file, application missing or damaged.

The odd thing is that id i do what it suggests, and boot from the vista installation disk and choose repair, it doesnt repair anything, and also it sees vista in G partition instead of I. Why's that? Is that why it doesnt work? The thing is that EasyBCD actually sees the OS in the right partition:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\


Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {8a3bd22e-02b0-11e2-8eb6-8aa289ab7872}
Drive: I:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe


Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Also, now im writing this from W7, and i noticed that the last 800giga partition (the one i talked earlier which is usable only after i installed 3tb unlocker) is gone... i guess the vista installer didnt didnt like it and i have to reinstall 3tb unlocker to get it back (altho im not sure what this application really does).

So... any suggestion? As you can see, its a mess... i tried to install vista twice, both times same error. Why doesnt it work? Anyone tried something like this before?
Thanks in advance!
8 answers Last reply
More about dual boot vista problem help
  1. Hi :)

    Umm 7 is a LOT better at games than Vista....

    All the best Brett :)
  2. You must use GPT partitions above 2TB.
  3. Well... my mobo does support gpt but when i bought the pc and installed 7, it didnt ask me if i wanted mbr or gpt, and i guess it just went with mbr... now to convert it to gpt it would erase the whole hd and i cant have that...
    My question is why vista wont start after i install it...
  4. Brett928S2 said:
    Hi :)

    Umm 7 is a LOT better at games than Vista....

    All the best Brett :)


    Why does it crash with half games then? BF3, Civ5, mafia2... just to mention some.
  5. sauzer said:
    Why does it crash with half games then? BF3, Civ5, mafia2... just to mention some.

    Then you need to troubleshoot your system, not claim 7 sucks for gaming and install Vista. Those crushes are not normal for 7 and you may experience the same things in Vista if you manage to install it on this system if it is some kind of hardware problem.
  6. sauzer said:
    Why does it crash with half games then? BF3, Civ5, mafia2... just to mention some.


    Hi :)

    As said above...

    YOUR machine has a problem and it isnt a 7 problem....

    You would be better formatting and just loading 7 , and if you still have games problems we can resolve them here...

    All the best Brett :)
  7. yyk71200 said:
    Then you need to troubleshoot your system, not claim 7 sucks for gaming and install Vista. Those crushes are not normal for 7 and you may experience the same things in Vista if you manage to install it on this system if it is some kind of hardware problem.


    [off topic]
    I never used 7 till few weeks ago when I got a new pc... i dont think its a hardware problem, my pc works fine for everything else, and also some games run fine. But for instance, some games only run after i boot the pc, if i lauch them a second time they crash right away, until i reboot again. I read that a lot of people are having problems with 7 and gaming (unless they'r pretty new), thats why i wanted to try vista on my new pc as well... and see if i experience the same problems with it as well.
    [/off topic]

    That said... you know how to fix dual boot problem? :)
  8. sauzer said:
    [off topic]
    I never used 7 till few weeks ago when I got a new pc... i dont think its a hardware problem, my pc works fine for everything else, and also some games run fine. But for instance, some games only run after i boot the pc, if i lauch them a second time they crash right away, until i reboot again. I read that a lot of people are having problems with 7 and gaming (unless they'r pretty new), thats why i wanted to try vista on my new pc as well... and see if i experience the same problems with it as well.
    [/off topic]

    That said... you know how to fix dual boot problem? :)



    Hi :)

    99% OF GAMERS here , either use 7 or XP..... I doubt you will find many (or any) using Vista... it had a LOT of problems with games....

    So firstly, lets try and cure your problems...

    We need your hardware specs, also which Anti virus are you running and precisely which version of 7 ?

    And what errors PRECISELY in WHICH games ?

    All the best Brett :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Windows 7