Dual Boot 7+Vista, big problem, help!

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Hi! I got a big problem and cant find a way to fix it.
On my PC i installed 7... but id like to install Vista as well since 7 sucks for gaming.
My system is this... 3tb hd with:
D primary partition 100 mega reserved for system, 7 creared it when i installed it.
C primary 100 giga, 7 installed
I primary 50 giga, where i want to install vista
J logical 1500 giga
K logical 400 giga

You noticed there are 800 giga missing... the problem is that for some reason, windows 7 can only see 2tb of my hd (even if i got a motherboard, asrock h61m, with a bios that should be new enuff to see the whole 3tb, infact bios can see 3). So, to be able to use the latest 800giga, i used a tool from asrock, called 3tb unlocker. From what i saw, it simulates a 2nd hd (even if its still the same one) with 800 giga.

Now... i just tried to install VISTA in the partition I... everything went fine... until the end... after you set the admin password and it reboots. After the boot, i get the usual error page:

WINDOWS BOOTS MANAGER
Windows did not load bla bla

File: \$windows.-bt\Windows\system32\winload,exe
Info: impossible to load the selected file, application missing or damaged.

The odd thing is that id i do what it suggests, and boot from the vista installation disk and choose repair, it doesnt repair anything, and also it sees vista in G partition instead of I. Why's that? Is that why it doesnt work? The thing is that EasyBCD actually sees the OS in the right partition:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {8a3bd22e-02b0-11e2-8eb6-8aa289ab7872}
Drive: I:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Also, now im writing this from W7, and i noticed that the last 800giga partition (the one i talked earlier which is usable only after i installed 3tb unlocker) is gone... i guess the vista installer didnt didnt like it and i have to reinstall 3tb unlocker to get it back (altho im not sure what this application really does).

So... any suggestion? As you can see, its a mess... i tried to install vista twice, both times same error. Why doesnt it work? Anyone tried something like this before?
Thanks in advance!

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Well... my mobo does support gpt but when i bought the pc and installed 7, it didnt ask me if i wanted mbr or gpt, and i guess it just went with mbr... now to convert it to gpt it would erase the whole hd and i cant have that...
My question is why vista wont start after i install it...

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Why does it crash with half games then? BF3, Civ5, mafia2... just to mention some.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Then you need to troubleshoot your system, not claim 7 sucks for gaming and install Vista. Those crushes are not normal for 7 and you may experience the same things in Vista if you manage to install it on this system if it is some kind of hardware problem.

Hi :)

As said above...

YOUR machine has a problem and it isnt a 7 problem....

You would be better formatting and just loading 7 , and if you still have games problems we can resolve them here...

All the best Brett :)

sauzer

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

[off topic]
I never used 7 till few weeks ago when I got a new pc... i dont think its a hardware problem, my pc works fine for everything else, and also some games run fine. But for instance, some games only run after i boot the pc, if i lauch them a second time they crash right away, until i reboot again. I read that a lot of people are having problems with 7 and gaming (unless they'r pretty new), thats why i wanted to try vista on my new pc as well... and see if i experience the same problems with it as well.
[/off topic]

That said... you know how to fix dual boot problem? :)

Hi :)

99% OF GAMERS here , either use 7 or XP..... I doubt you will find many (or any) using Vista... it had a LOT of problems with games....

So firstly, lets try and cure your problems...

We need your hardware specs, also which Anti virus are you running and precisely which version of 7 ?

And what errors PRECISELY in WHICH games ?

All the best Brett :)