Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D Pro
GPU: EVGA GTX-680 SC edition
OS Drive: Samsung 830 Series, 256 GB
Data Drive: Samsung HD103SJ
PSU: Corsair AX750

I just purchased:

CPU: Intel i7-3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77 V Pro

^These will be the only two items changing.

My current OS is an OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. What is my best option for re-installing Windows? I realize that once I re-install Windows on the new hardware, using my current key, I will fail the validation process once it has to activate online. So... Can I avoid buying another $120 copy of Windows 7 OEM? I saw somewhere that I can just use an upgrade key once it's installed (Something like this). Is this true? Because if it is, that saves me about $35.00... I'd still rather it be free, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. most times if you call up microsoft...just say your mb bit the dust and had to replace it. they should be able to get you a new key.
  2. smorizio said:
    most times if you call up microsoft...just say your mb bit the dust and had to replace it. they should be able to get you a new key.

Hi :)

But thats a lie and wont work in most cases....

You KNOW you legally have to buy another OEM copy....

All the best Brett :)
  3. I'm not trying to get something for free, I'm just wondering if there's a way to soften the blow.
  4. sgt bombulous said:
    I'm not trying to get something for free, I'm just wondering if there's a way to soften the blow.

Hi :)

"SOFTEN THE BLOW" = Illegal...

All the best Brett :)
  5. I get the point... So one more thing. Once I install using my current disk, I have 30 days to activate it right? Also, Windows disks and keys are not tied to eachother right? Like, I could use my old disk to install, and then buy a new license (disk) later?
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Windows 7