vaio grv vs. grx

zomart

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2003
hey,
which of these notebooks do you think will run demanding 3d games (grand theft auto 3) better:

sony vaio grv680p
or
sony vaio grx700

it seems to me that the grv outpowers the grx considerable. it has ati m-radeon 9000 as opposed to the grx's ati m-radeon 7500, but the video RAM i don't really understand :):

grv:
ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 with 64 MB DDR SDRAM with 3D performance
Dual display support

grx:
ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 7500
32 MB VRAM (128-bit DDR SDRAM)
Dual display support

the processors are both intel pentium 4. grv has 2.6 GHz and the grx has 2.4 GHz. RAM in both is DDR SDRAM (max. 1 GB). links to the sony site for each system are:

grv680p:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=1X0PpU9zygcPnHGu990FrgB-4Qr9lWn9I_Y=?CatalogCategoryID=IkoKC0.Ns2sAAAD1Eitin4zn&Dept=cpu&TemplateName=item/sy_item_b&ProductID=48cKC0.NGrQAAAD1rkRin4zr&ContentItemPage=

grx700:
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=HRafl2Nsb-afuF2xPNmVnCxig7PzIkXi650=?CatalogCategoryID=0X4KC0.N8RMAAAD1WCtin4zn&Dept=cpu&TemplateName=item/sy_item_b&ProductID=kGUKC0.NaOcAAAD1m8tin4zr&ContentItemPage=true

if anybody has an opinion or is willing to take a look and make some suggestions that would be great... thanks!

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
The GRV. IT is higher speced. Although the graphics adapter won't make a difference with GTA3, as it is not a very well designed game in terms of graphics and relies heavily on CPU speed.

But for demanding 3D Games, the GRV is still a better choice IMO.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

nfaq

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I would say, NONE.

Locate Sony's tech support number for their computer products. I could never ever talk to a live tech, I've called in the morning, afternoon and evening.... always a busy signal every time!

So I have a friend with a dead computer that can't be serviced because there is NOBODY to answer the phone. Also, their driver support for older products is horrible.

I was looking to download drivers for a 14month old SONY notebook in which I did a clean install of the OS... other than a bios upgrade and 1-2 drivers, nothing.

This is sad, since SONY makes some really cool looking notebooks with an excellent feature set.

Amiga - The Original Power

TRENDING THREADS