Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dual booting 7/xp HELP!!

Last response: in Windows 7
July 6, 2009 5:58:55 AM

I have 2 hard drives, both SATA, 1 is a 1.5tb, the other 250gb, I installed win 7 on my 1.5tb hard drive, and XP on my 250gb hard drive, but no matter how many times I change the boot order in the BIOS, XP loads!
According to XP "My computer"
"C"-"System Reserved"(A partition of the 1.5tb)
"D"-"Local disk"(XP)
"E"-"Local disk"(Windows 7)

What do I do?

More about : dual booting

July 6, 2009 6:05:41 AM

download EasyBCD use it in Windows 7
Score
July 6, 2009 6:09:15 AM

stumpystumped said:
download EasyBCD use it in Windows 7

So I have to be booted into 7 and install it in 7?
Score
Related resources
July 6, 2009 6:19:25 AM

If you install windows 7 first then xp then only xp will load even when windows 7 is there.

But if you install windows xp first and then 7 then you will get a proper dual boot menu at start-up.

I am myself dual booting those 2 OS but only on a single HD.
Score
July 6, 2009 6:26:51 AM

shubham1401 said:
If you install windows 7 first then xp then only xp will load even when windows 7 is there.

But if you install windows xp first and then 7 then you will get a proper dual boot menu at start-up.

I am myself dual booting those 2 OS but only on a single HD.

Ah :( , but EasyBCD will fix it?
Score
July 6, 2009 6:38:01 AM

I unplugged the XP drive, booted up and windows gave an error, I can't boot into 7, I installed Easy BCD, and it wont start in XP!!!
EDIT:I'm installing .NET2.0 to see if that will fix it
Ok Easy BCD is working, but what do I do?
There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows 7

Entry #1

Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {default}
Drive: E:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Score
July 6, 2009 6:55:19 AM

Thank god for Easy BCD, a few minutes of clicking on things, and I'm back in 7!!!, I'm so glad to be using 7 again, stupid XP :) 
Score
July 6, 2009 4:10:01 PM

Ok, one thing i've learned from multiple OSs. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS unplug every hard drive except the one your installing the new OS on. Just a tip for the future, because you'll be having to reload 7 when it expires one of these days.

I've run into to soooo many boot problems before doing this. Now I triple boot with Ubuntu, XP, and Windows 7. If you so choose to boot a different OS go into the BIOS and select to boot from that hard drive. No more boot managers conflicting!
Score
July 6, 2009 5:08:52 PM

As a general rule always install them in the order they were released, so in this case XP then 7, that usually makes things easier. But luckily there's EasyBCD.
Score
July 6, 2009 9:51:31 PM

Devastator_uk said:
As a general rule always install them in the order they were released, so in this case XP then 7, that usually makes things easier. But luckily there's EasyBCD.

or just skip even bothering worrying about that. If you install Linux it puts GRUB loader on there and that REALLY messes with things. If you install Ubuntu with other operating systems installed you cannot remove Ubuntu without having problems booting. Just unplug the cable to the hard drive and your set.

I've got Ubuntu, XP, and 7 installed on my computer with ZERO boot conflicts. I can remove any of the HDDs with no problems.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2009 11:38:00 PM

Well except the problem that you won't be able to boot into the OS installed on that particular drive... ;) 
Score
July 7, 2009 1:14:19 AM

Zoron said:
Well except the problem that you won't be able to boot into the OS installed on that particular drive... ;) 

Oh is it? You simply go into the BIOS and change your boot drive. I know on my gigabyte motherboard I just hit F11 on boot and pick which drive to boot from. It's very simple and avoid running into ANY boot conflicts. :kaola: 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2009 2:29:29 AM

Yes, but if you remove say the Linux drive... that makes it kind of hard to boot in Linux wouldn't you say?
Score
July 7, 2009 6:42:42 AM

Zoron said:
Yes, but if you remove say the Linux drive... that makes it kind of hard to boot in Linux wouldn't you say?

My apologies if I explained it badly. It all makes sense in my head, lol.

Lets see if I can explain it better this time...

You can install any OS in any order without having to worry about if the boot loader will conflict or not if you do this.
Let's take my computer for example. I have three HDDs and wanted three operating systems. I wanted Ubuntu, XP and Windows 7. It doesn't matter the order you do this in as long as you do it correctly.

-Say you were going to install XP first. Unplug ANY other drives, even if they're just for storage. Install XP.
Now that XP is up and running, you can plug back in those other drives if you need something off of them or what not. Same goes for the next installs.

-Ok, XP works. Now you want to install Ubuntu. Unplug ALL drives again including the XP drive leaving only your choice of drive to install Ubuntu on. Install...done.

-Now Windows 7 needs to be on the computer as well. I'm sure you catching on here...Unplug every drive except your remaining choice for 7 to be installed on.

You should have successfully installed three different operating systems with ease and now you shouldn't have any boot conflicts between the OS's. If you so chose to boot into a different OS, you simply go into the BIOS and select that drive to boot. It's even easier with my Gigabyte mobo, like I said before, with the F11 option going straight to a boot selection instead of going into the BIOS. You can also remove those drives if you so chose without worry of errors.

What I meant before with removing an Ubuntu drive was, I had an old computer that I XP one drive and a spare. So I decided to install Ubuntu on that spare. When I did that, it put GRUB loader as the boot manager. Not a big deal...until you decide to maybe get a new drive or it goes bad. I wasn't able to boot into XP after taking out the Ubuntu drive because of the boot manager. I'm pretty sure the only fix was to reinstall XP to replace GRUB loader.
Score
July 7, 2009 11:33:36 AM

Ahh!!, I'm gonna do this when 7 GOLD comes out, cheers for the tip, but what about partitions?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2009 9:13:38 PM

I get what you're saying... I think you're missing the joke.

No, you will not have any boot problems at all... I realize this. However if you remove one hard drive containing one OS, you will no longer be able to boot to that OS, correct? So if you remove the XP drive... no Windows XP. If you remove the Windows 7 drive... no Windows 7... do you now understand what I meant?

:p 

Sheesh... don't you know a joke ceases to be funny when you have to explain it?
Score
July 7, 2009 9:55:35 PM

JDogg said:
I have 2 hard drives, both SATA, 1 is a 1.5tb, the other 250gb, I installed win 7 on my 1.5tb hard drive, and XP on my 250gb hard drive, but no matter how many times I change the boot order in the BIOS, XP loads!
According to XP "My computer"
"C"-"System Reserved"(A partition of the 1.5tb)
"D"-"Local disk"(XP)
"E"-"Local disk"(Windows 7)

What do I do?

The rule of thumb for installing multiple OS's and have them work properly is to install the oldest OS first to the newest OS last. Linux, Win 98, Win NT and XP worked just fine for me on my old system provided they were installed in the correct order.
Score
July 8, 2009 6:08:24 PM

Best plan for multiple OS is something like the ICY bay hard disk mounting - you can just switch the disks in and out, saves all the bother of boot sectors getting accidently overwritten, data corrupted by foreign OS etc
Score
a b $ Windows 7
July 12, 2009 2:11:12 AM

With modern motherboards and BIOSes, that isn't an issue anyway. You can install each drive / OS singularly and then hook them all up and choose which drive / OS to boot from via the BIOS boot selector.
Score
!