MN-500 ports ?

Ok Im not an expert at all with netwrks let alone
wireless :) I bought the wireless MN-500 a few months
back and was able to get me and my wife connected as a
LAN and we can share our cable internet connection :)
That works great, we even have file and printer sharing
working.
I do have a few issues that I cant figure out. No doubt
its cause I just dont know what to look for. My problems:
If I download a file from a website its super fast as I
would expect. But if I use AOLIM or some other file
sharing type applications the files crawl at a snails
pace :(
Also, I cannot host any multiplayer games. I can join the
games but I cannot Host. Gamespy Arcade has offered me
some clues by giving me the following message when trying
to host a game ...
proxy or Firewall detected
Gamespy Arcade has detected that your computers internal
IP address (XXXXXXX) is different than its external IP
address (XXXXXXXX). This may be caused by firewalls, a
NAT proxies, or other unusual network configurations and
may prevent you from hosting a game.

I have turned off the Firewall in the Base Station
managment tool.

any ideas?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about ports

    You have NAT enabled -- that is what allows you to have
    multiple computers behind a single IP connection. So you
    really needed it.

    To get that software working you need to open the ports
    that the software used in the router (called port
    forwarding). First, go to the software doc or web site and
    find which ports must be open. Then go to the router and
    open the ports under Security/Port Forwarding.

    BTW, keep the firewall enabled on the router. It will work
    if you open the ports as I mentioned in the other post.

    Turn the firewall back on & use persistent port forwarding for hosting
    games & file sharing over the Internet.

    crumbut wrote:

    > Ok Im not an expert at all with netwrks let alone
    > wireless :) I bought the wireless MN-500 a few months
    > back and was able to get me and my wife connected as a
    > LAN and we can share our cable internet connection :)
    > That works great, we even have file and printer sharing
    > working.
    > I do have a few issues that I cant figure out. No doubt
    > its cause I just dont know what to look for. My problems:
    > If I download a file from a website its super fast as I
    > would expect. But if I use AOLIM or some other file
    > sharing type applications the files crawl at a snails
    > pace :(
    > Also, I cannot host any multiplayer games. I can join the
    > games but I cannot Host. Gamespy Arcade has offered me
    > some clues by giving me the following message when trying
    > to host a game ...
    > proxy or Firewall detected
    > Gamespy Arcade has detected that your computers internal
    > IP address (XXXXXXX) is different than its external IP
    > address (XXXXXXXX). This may be caused by firewalls, a
    > NAT proxies, or other unusual network configurations and
    > may prevent you from hosting a game.
    >
    > I have turned off the Firewall in the Base Station
    > managment tool.
    >
    > any ideas?
    > Thanks

Routers Networking