Loffelur

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
First I installed win98 since I couldn't start winxp in dos.
Then i started to overwrite win98 to winxp the Installation goes fine until the first reboot. After some loading:
-----------------------------------
STOPP:C0000221 Unknown hard error
\systemrot\system32\ntdll.dll
-----------------------------------
I have checked and the file is not missing. my hardwhare is:
AMDXP PALOMINO 1700+
Asus A7A motherboard
ASUS 64mb GEFORCE 3
CREATIVE SOUNDCARD PLAYER 5,1
2x IBM Harddrive
ASUS burner 24x
Samsong DVD
CNET nettcard

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Loffelur on 07/23/02 06:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
The error comes from XP trying to load a system driver. Its usually generated by bad or incompatiable HW or unexpected HW change. IF you have not made any HW changes then XP doesnt like your HW configuration and cannot load a native driver for a piece of your computer.

Check your HW config with www.microsoft.com/hcl (hardware comp list) If everything checks out then strip the system to CPU and VID card (basically lose PCI cards and seconday IDE channel)

If issue still happens go into your BIOS and restore CMOS defaults, Reset config data, disable L1 and L2 cache, flash BIOS in that order if each step doesnt work.

Reinstall XP again if all else fails ... Install from CD not upgrading from 98. XP can be installed from DOS, goto I386 folder on CD and type WINNT or boot from CD and have XP setup remove and install new partition (format as NTFS)

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Dude.

I'm glad someone could figure out what the question was. Even after trying to reverse engineer your answer, I have no clue.

God, I wish I could speak more than just one language...

Lone

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Are you trying to install Windows XP on your system? You didn't have to install windows 98 to get it, you know. You could have taken the boot disk for 98, let it load up with cd rom driver. then once you are at the command prompt it should say " A: " next to it type in " C: " ( oh and dont type the " marks ) then once there, " del *.* " that will wipe your win 98 install. whether you chose to format or not thats your choice. open cdrom drive, put in xp cd. turn of computer. turn on computer. the setup should start. I hope I helped, but myself im not sure if this is what you want to do. also pardon the grammar and the way i type... good luck,
Nick

Jes12345

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
HW = hardware.

:smile: <font color=red>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do! :wink: <font color=black> Think outside the box!